Nanao MS9 29S -- Lifted Solder Pads

For monitor related issues
gusmoney
Please Continue...
eBay: gusmoney
Initials: GUS

Nanao MS9 29S -- Lifted Solder Pads

Post by gusmoney »

I picked up a Sega New Astro City a few weeks back with the above chassis and Toshiba tube. The picture had some issues with unstable geometry, streak of yellow down the middle, and occasionally playing blind. Took the chassis out to do a recap hoping to resolve these issues and did pretty well except I have some lifted solder pads after de-soldering several of the old caps and consequently the new caps are not making contact.

The recommendations have been made to a) jump the trace to the legs of the cap(s) or b) re-apoxy down the pads. I don't have much confidence in myself doing either but I guess I am leaning towards doing b. Any input on the best route here? A link to get suitable epoxy and maybe a way to fabricate new pads?

Appreciated.
Last edited by gusmoney on April 26th, 2017, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Nanao MS9 29S

Post by nem »

Fabricating new pads is super time consuming if you're going to do right:

Skip to 6:30.

Lifting pads is unavoidable with these chassis considering how much heat they've had to endure during their lifespan. Honestly, jumping the trace with the leg is perfectly fine.
gusmoney
Please Continue...

Re: Nanao MS9 29S

Post by gusmoney »

Thanks for the response, nem. As a matter of fact I've watched that video (and some of his others) and dude is super-skilled.

I hear ya on the traces. I just have no idea how to do that but I know the practice is common. I will investigate (and maybe try to find a comparable video instruction.) Thank you.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Re: Nanao MS9 29S -- Lifted Solder Pads

Post by NoAffinity »

are both pads lifted on any of the caps? if only one is lifted, it will be easier because you dont have to take the extra step of securing the cap (since the one good pad will still secure it to the board).

If one good pad at each cap:

1) Cut an appropriate length of wire, tin the wire, tin the leg (use flux on both to get a good tin), solder the wire to the leg
2) Solder to the one good pad at the board. Make sure the jumpered leg isn't contacting anything it shouldn't be.
3) Solder the jumper to the next solder joint in the circuit
4) If the next solder joint in the circuit is another lifted pad/cap, then do #1 at that cap also before soldering them both into place
5) If the lifted pad is the '-' side of the cap, there may be other good solder joints grouped together that are continuous to the cap's '-' point that you can solder to
6) secure the jumper with some hot glue or tape (what is that tape...I can never remember the name?). You might also want to secure the leg so it doesn't shift and inadvertently contact something while re-installing or from heat/cooling causing it to move over time

If both pads are lifted:
Same basic procedure as above, but find somewhere to secure the cap with some hot glue. The solder side of the board may be your best bet, if there is enough clearance and/or the chassis tray is the "open style" (not a continuous piece of metal).

Hope those basic blueprints for the process are helpful.
gusmoney
Please Continue...

Re: Nanao MS9 29S -- Lifted Solder Pads

Post by gusmoney »

NoAffinity, thank you so much for taking the time to write this up. I actually have a borrowed glue gun handy (I had to repair the broken marquee that came with the NAC) and will attack these pads with your technique.

I have two caps with lifted pads. One only has one pad lifted and the other cap has both pads lifted.