Are all capacitors the same

For monitor related issues
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Are all capacitors the same

Post by zumbito »

I was going to buy some capacitors for a monitor but got a bit lost with capacitors models. A given brand can have different models with same uF and V specs. Should I look into somethign else besides the uF and V?
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Re: Are all capacitors the same

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Other than temp (85 or 105), no. Pick the 105 ones :)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if you are replacing motherboard or power supply caps then you should consider low esr caps,if its a monitor then standard 105 caps are fine
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Just monitor chasis. Thanks!
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

Also, be mindful of radial vs. axial. They are commonly radial, especially on chassis, so this should be a non-issue. But if you have an axial capacitor anywhere, make sure you replace with axial.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

As grantspain said, if you are going to replace chassis caps get the lower ESR ones, also make sure to get the right sizes, height and diameter, otherwise you'll find trouble trying to fit them in those spots where the PCB is crowded with lots of caps.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

What chassis are you going to be capping? We have a couple guys here in the States that sell the kits, with the correct sized and the best quality caps, like Ian Kellogg and arcadepartsandrepair.com. The cost of the kits is also not much more than ordering individual caps from someplace like digi-key or other supplier. I mean, it's literally like a $2 difference, and with the cost of shipping (suppliers like digi-key tend to charge more), it may actually be less to order a pre-made kit from one of the experts.

Now, shipping from either of those guys to Spain may be a deal breaker, but it might be worth reaching out to Peter at arcadepartsandrepair.com to see what he can do for the shipping. I get all my kits from him, and he is always personally involved in the orders from his web site.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

Those cap kits you found in places like Ebay or Aliexpress are made of the worst chinese brands, when most japanese monitors chassis use Panasonic and/or Nichicon caps, if you are going to do a full recap no point in swapping a good working Panasonic for a "Teapo" :oops: .
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I'm not in the US and given my soldering skills, I rather have some spare caps just in case.I wanted to use good quality but kinda tricky find a store that carries all the different caps in only one brand, so I will be using a mix Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, Elna, I've heard they are all good quality caps.
tomiii
Please Continue...

Post by tomiii »

zumbito wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking, but I'm not in the US and given my soldering skills, I rather have some spare caps just in case.I wanted to use good quality but kinda tricky find a store that carries all the different caps in only one brand, so I will be using a mix Nichicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, Elna, I've heard they are all good quality caps.
Hi , i am from Austria and i buy from this stores : (europe)
http://www.conrad.com/ce/
http://es.farnell.com/
www.mouser.es/
http://es.rs-online.com/web/
https://www.digikey.es/

These are the biggest Distributors for small quantities . (My work is to buy electronic components^^ )

Take the Panasonic low ESR caps.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Thanks guys. I will check those websites. Low ESR, 105 degrees and right size!