Samsung monitor / Wei Ya Chassis

For monitor related issues
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Samsung monitor / Wei Ya Chassis

Post by djsniperwolf »

Just picked up my first NetCity. The monitor was supposed to be working, but when I got there it seems that the image was lost while setting it up for a test run. When I plug it in I get a consistent clicking about every second. There is no picture but you can feel the static generating from the screen.

I have pulled the chassis to inspect it as I am sure it will needs some new caps. I am used to replacing caps on older ECU's for cars, but this is a whole different beast. I think I can see some electrolytic leakage from the caps, but I am unsure. I noticed one specific cap in the fifth image that looked alarming, but it could be nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can post more images if needed!

Monitor ---> SAMSUNG A68QCP891X001
Chassis ----> Wei Ya ?????? (I'll check in the morning, too tired..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by djsniperwolf on January 12th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Re: Samsung monitor / Wei Ya Chassis

Post by djsniperwolf »

More images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

that residue is just glue,its normal on these chassis
what game board are you using?
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

The seller was using a DC with a DC VGA box that outputs at 640x480. He said that the image was working but then it just dropped out. I don't have a board yet, but I plan on getting one after this issue is resolved. I just picked up the unit today :( . Does the cap in the last pic look normal? Sorry, I have zero experience with this monitor.
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

That would be the Wei-Ya 3129D. Isn't a Net City supposed to be equipped with a Nanao MS-2931 though?
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

That was my first thought.. I was checking out some info and it seems that this is from an atomiswave? This shouldn't cause any issues I hope? Thanks!
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

It's the original monitor for an AWSD indeed, shouldn't cause any issues, I have the same combo in my NAC.
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

That is great to hear. I was a bit worried at first, but the original owner did say he had it working and he wasn't of the shady type. Soo... What would cause the clicking on the board? Is there anywhere in specific that I should begin? The monitor itself looks great, no image burn or damage at all. The chassis is what concerned me at first. Thanks again!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

clicking could be sync related-and these do not like odd sync signals
there are loads of other things that would cause these to click but if you are getting ht and clicking it must be sync related,or most likely
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

Ok, so it could very well be the input signal that it wasn't liking? maybe he had the ohm set incorrectly? I noticed that there is no isolation transformer in the cab, and the monitor had its own power cord that was being plugged in directly to an outlet. Is this the correct way of doing it? I am in the US so i have 110/120v power.

I really do appreciate the help, I am hoping to at least get set in the right direction so I can get this problem tackled!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

they run on 90-255vac without the need for an iso

when you get the cab just power it on without a video signal,if you get a raster then try a game board
wei ya really dislike multigame signals,the newer chinese built boards
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

Ok , so i plugged it in, it took a few seconds but when it attempted to power up, but unfortunately no raster, and the clicking returned. The clicking is rather loud, similar to a small flashlight that is missing a battery being shaken up and down. It's a bit hard to describe. I don't see a glow or anything at the tube. I couldn't identify where the sound was coming from, possibly the flyback?? Any experience with an issue like this? Thanks.
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

Here is a video of the issue.

https://youtu.be/jytib0rpHCk

Thanks!
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

Sp33dFr34k wrote:It's the original monitor for an AWSD indeed, shouldn't cause any issues, I have the same combo in my NAC.
Does the curve of the monitor match the original bezel, or have you had to fill in the gap?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

the clicking is just the chassis attempting to power on
things to check are the HOT and the vertical deflection ic
if you do not have the skills or equipment to repair this then you could probably get a replacement chassis from alva amusement,florida
Sp33dFr34k

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

DaveyD wrote:
Sp33dFr34k wrote:It's the original monitor for an AWSD indeed, shouldn't cause any issues, I have the same combo in my NAC.
Does the curve of the monitor match the original bezel, or have you had to fill in the gap?
A bit OT but to answer your question, it doesn't match the original curve at all sadly.
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

DaveyD wrote:
Here is what mine looks like.

Anyways, i don't mind the learning process. Where about is the HOT on the chassis? I am to check for resistance, correct?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

HOT is q36,bolted to the flyback heatshield-it should be a 2sc5144
you should desolder one of the outer legs and then read on diode test

thing is with monitor repairs there are some seriously nasty voltages,its not something you should consider as a learning curve really
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

grantspain wrote:HOT is q36,bolted to the flyback heatshield-it should be a 2sc5144
you should desolder one of the outer legs and then read on diode test

thing is with monitor repairs there are some seriously nasty voltages,its not something you should consider as a learning curve really
Thanks Grant, that is a huge help! I will be quite careful and will heed your warning.

I am comfortable enough to work on some parts of chassis. I have discharged and replaced caps on an old k7000 at one time. hoping to learn to identfy specific components that sit on the chassis.

i will leave an update to the results. I may have to bug you as to the location of the vertical ic also :). Tough without diagrams.
djsniperwolf
Please Continue...

Post by djsniperwolf »

De-soldered a leg to the HOT, tested, and I got weird numbers. So I removed the HOT and tested it again. The numbers seemed to be normal.

Base to Emitter--->0.415
Base to Collector---> 0.499

Now that I have tested the HOT, where should i check now?

Thanks!