Chinese degaussing rod: how to use it correctly?

For monitor related issues
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Chinese degaussing rod: how to use it correctly?

Post by keropi »

Hiya!

I just received one of these cheap degaussing rods: http://www.dx.com/p/electronic-static-r ... 76vufl96Uk
Naturally it came with Chinese instructions ... tried my phone camera translator and all I got for sure is to use it for ~20sec max and that you need to do clockwise movement like on the photo.

So I assume that you point it as a remote control to the screen really close to it , keep pressing the button, make the circular motion and slowly move away from the screen?

I found a page that someone describes the process but he seems to use the rod flat on the screen (one of the big sides?) and when he gets far from it he points it like a remote and then releases the button : http://ademdjemil.co.uk/2007/08/how-to-degauss-a-tv/

What is the correct way to do it? I don't want to mess things more while trying to fix them...
TIA for any help/tips! :)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Chinese degaussing rod: how to use it correctly?

Post by cools »

You won't break the monitor.

All I do is point the wand at the centre, close to the screen. Hold the button, start moving it in a clockwise direction whilst slowly expanding the rotation and pulling back from the screen. Once I'm far enough away that I can't see the wand having any more effect I stop pressing the button.

If I still have discolouration on any part of the screen I repeat the process but with the centre being the discoloured patch, and going even more slowly.

Honestly though you can just wave it about all different ways and "sweep" the screen and it will work.

The 20 second max is because it will heat up like mad :awe:
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

thanks for that, will give it a go then!
basically it's the opposite of what the instructions say , move from center to outer :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Come to think of it I believe the correct way is big circle to small circle.

Doesn't make much difference in my experience 8-)
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

cools wrote:All I do is point the wand at the centre, close to the screen. Hold the button, start moving it in a clockwise direction whilst slowly expanding the rotation and pulling back from the screen. Once I'm far enough away that I can't see the wand having any more effect I stop pressing the button.
I've heard this is the right way to do it. However, no matter how many times I tried this on a severely discoloured monitor I couldn't get one of the edges to show colours correctly. What did do the trick was rapidly pressing the button on the edge of the screen. Mind you, the first two dozen or so tries just resulted in different funky colours. On the 25th try it was perfect. YMMV.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

^ Interesting as I do have discoloration on the edge of the screen that I cannot get rid of - on a test TV I had with really bad discoloration. The rod fixed it 95%. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll give it a go!

On my arcade tube though I didn't see a difference:

That yellow tint on the right side is not going away. The strange (?) thing is that it is only visible in interlaced resolutions, if you play Sonic for example that is 320x200 and has a white boot screen the discoloration is not there. In fact I haven't seen it in low-res stuff... don't know what to think of it :lol:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Try turning the monitor 90 degrees horizontally and degaussing it, see if that goes away...
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

cools wrote:You won't break the monitor.

All I do is point the wand at the centre, close to the screen. Hold the button, start moving it in a clockwise direction whilst slowly expanding the rotation e:
you also need to whisper the the words expelliarmus :awe:

cant believe you forgot the most important bit cools

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

The general consensus therefore;

Imagine you're at a rave, and the rod is a glow stick.

Flail around at the screen till it looks better- or the beat drops.

Use whistle in accordance with your own judgement.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

cools wrote:Try turning the monitor 90 degrees horizontally and degaussing it, see if that goes away...
will do and report back :lol:

@ geotrig , bloodhokuto

are you guys with the NSA and watching with a satellite or something? how do you know about the chanting and the beats? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Big fish, little fish, cardboard box.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Big box, small box, drive the car might work too.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if you can't get rid of the purity issue with degaussing then you may need to look first at the yoke position,do you have a photo of the deflection yoke and the convergence rings?
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

grantspain wrote:if you can't get rid of the purity issue with degaussing then you may need to look first at the yoke position,do you have a photo of the deflection yoke and the convergence rings?
not at the moment but I can post some nice pics tomorrow, I will update later :)
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

it is possible this could be just the purity ring needing adjustment,but it dpends on the yoke and ring type
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Please, let me summarize:
Western people manufacture degaussing coils as rods because they love Harry Potter.
Chinese manufacture them as toroids because in their culture the circle has a meaning of correctness as opposed to the symbol "X".
Keropi's chinese user manual is correct but maybe it isn't.
Magnetic fields are not straightforward to remove because of unholy spirits.
Rave parties are good places to use degaussing wands.
Fishes go into cardboard boxes, but driving a car also works.

Did I get everything right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, sorry, enough trolling. I still don't see how can keropi's monitor discoloration be there only on 31kHz. Different horizontal amplitude maybe? Magnetized metal nearby?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

keropi wrote:Hiya!

I just received one of these cheap degaussing rods: http://www.dx.com/p/electronic-static-r ... 76vufl96Uk
Use some kind of plastic glove and wear rubber boots, that thing must be dangerous! I got one myself and opened it up, it's basically metal hooked directly up to your mains power with a thin piece of flimsy plastic around it - IIRC I think mine was cracked and the plates were coming out.
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

And a colander on your head with an earthed wire attached.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

And before you begin rub yourself towards the South Pole.
keropi
Please Continue...

Post by keropi »

@ nem , cools

I have tried your suggestions and they helped. Especially nem's way is what did the trick: the yellow tint is almost gone now but the damned rod is small or something - I haven't found the way yet so that a really faint discoloration in one area goes away. It seems all I can do is make it move to some other part, not disappear completely.

I will invest in a proper coil , the rod was cheap and did good work for it's 10eur but it's not perfect. Like invzim mentions it is a cheap tool , better than nothing though! :awe:

@ Asayuki

I tested lots with the white background of the MD 240p Test Suite. The discoloration is also visible at 320x200 but it's really really really faint. One needs to look really good to find it. Maybe 640x480i being interlaced makes the discoloration more visible, I don't know. The monitor is a POLO 28" , 15.7khz only.

@ grantspain

not sure it will help anything since turns out the problem is degaussing (or rather a lack of it) but here are some pics of the tube, it's a Videocolor one that you told me in another thread that it is factory-tuned with no easy way for a user to mess with it:

thank you all for your input and laughs, I believe with a proper coil I'll fix the issue completely. For now it's only a faint spot of discoloration at the center or the far right part of the screen... certainly way better than before 8-)