Info request on Hantarex MTC9000

For monitor related issues
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Info request on Hantarex MTC9000

Post by Asayuki »

Hi all,
I have seen an Hantarex MTC9000 with an Orion tube which I'd like to buy. It works and it looks like it's in good condition. Judging from the service manual it looks like it accepts a wide range of signals although 15kHz only.
Needless to say, my first moves would be cap-kitting it, cleaning all pots and switches, checking out B+ and looking out for solder joints which might look about to fail.
Apart from the above, do you know of any fault its chassis and tube are typically subject to or which I might want to prevent? Or do you know of any reason which might speak against buying it?
Thanks in advance :)
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Re: Info request on Hantarex MTC9000

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

The most notorious problem of this chassis is a poorly designed voltage regulation section, i.e. the circuitry that takes the 128AC input and recifies and regulates it into the 130VDC output that powers everything on the chassis. Also, it is impractical to have and hard to find isolation transformers that supply the required tension (you can go a little lower like 120VAC but not much). One of my long term projects is making a new version of this chassis with a built-in switch-mode power supply section, like more modern chassis (e.g. Hantarex Polo, etc.). Most of it has already been done and tested, now it's a matter of designing the new PCBs and that will take lots of time. Good luck with your refurbishment (HOT and LOPT failures are also pretty common here).
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Thanks a lot for the exhaustive list of information, PrincessPrinPrin! It's a lot more than I have found online myself. I'll put that to very good use. Also, very interesting side project you have there. :) Sounds like it will bring you a lot of people pushing your deadline. :D My best wishes for a successful outcome.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
kdoe
Please Continue...

Post by kdoe »

Having just gone through a pile of chassis I can confirm the LOPTs/flybacks are by far one of the most common faults and there are at least two types used. I only found three caps bad enough to stop any of the saved chassis from working at all so that wouldn't be my first port of call. This document gives a lot of info: http://atomicfe.com/ladite/Divers/depannage_mtc9000.pdf (well, depedning on your French it will after you run it through a translator)
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

This page is a great step-by-step for tracking down and resolving all issues on the 9000/9110:

http://www.markscotford.com/DIYHan.html

I used it to fix a friends non-working 9110...well mostly fix. It was completely dead. After flyback replacement and cap kit, it is working, but won't completely lock the image vertically - it gets very close and I can even get it to hold temporarily, but will start scrolling again on its own. But that's another issue for another thread, likely just some attention needed at the remote board VR's.

But, as said and as I am witness to, the LOPT/flyback is problematic. You have to make sure you get the correct replacement. And even then, you will have to bend pins and possibly cut the metal housing around that area on the chassis, to make it fit. See my less than elegant dremel work that was required on this particular job:

Oh, and the degauss connector pulled completely out of the board when I went to unplug the wiring coming off the tube. I don't think that qualifies as cold solder anymore, but rather gone solder. :shifty: