Drop-in Replacement for Sanwa 29E31S / Naomi Universal

For monitor related issues
maxisoft2
Please Continue...
eBay: Maxisoft2

Drop-in Replacement for Sanwa 29E31S / Naomi Universal

Post by maxisoft2 »

Hello fellow arcadees,

I am currently trying to find a replacement for my Sanwa 29E31S inside of my Naomi Universal. My current monitor has quite some burn and the image is not perfectly focussed anymore (already tried re-calibrating the tube, flyback etc. - It's just an old screen with hours over hours of use so I think it's time to get s.th. new). I am looking for a brand-spanking-new tube and chassis combo, if possible maybe even multisync. Do you have any advice were I can get one, that I can also have delivered to Germany? Any advice on the model / type that offers the best experience for 31 khz games?

Thanks and regards!
- Max
denson
eBay: chubba100

Re: Drop-in Replacement for Sanwa 29E31S / Naomi Universal

Post by denson »

you'll struggle to find much new.... There is a Makvision Tri sync available (around $650 plus shipping if they'll do it) or Jeff at Digital System Designs is still advertising monitors with new Orion tubes (I think they're rebranded toshiba?) on used chassis for £350 plus shipping, again, if he'd do it.

You may want to read up a bit on Jeff before buying from his site though, as I think a few people have had issues with his service in the past, but that may all be sorted now hopefully :)

Personally I'd try to find a good used monitor from someone more local to you ;)
maxisoft2
Please Continue...

Post by maxisoft2 »

Hi denson! Thanks for the quick answer. Guess I'll start saving my cash ;) - Been looking for a decent used one near Germany for quite some time, but I guess it makes sense to keep looking considering the hefty prices for the brand-new ones.

Thanks and regards!
- Max
maxisoft2
Please Continue...

Post by maxisoft2 »

Hey guys!

One more question actually: How about this type of monitor? http://www.weiya.com.tw/products_detail ... %20MONITOR - I think Wei-Ya is not the best quality but still I wanted to ask: Does it easily fit a Naomi Universal cabinet, and does anybody of you know if they do individual orders (and the price they ask including delivery)?

Thanks and regards!
- Max
denson

Post by denson »

I couldn't comment on the quality of the monitor as I've never seen one, but I'd think it would fit if you were to keep the Sega frame that is fitted to your Naomi monitor to re-use.

As for prices etc. you're best bet would be to hit the inquiry button and ask them....they can only say no ;)
maxisoft2
Please Continue...

Post by maxisoft2 »

I did it, I ordered: GUYS! Whoever needs a new monitor at the moment: Wei-Ya has a promotion going on on their M3129 - 29” CRT monitor! (Tri-Sync & LG Trueflat Tube) - I just ordered one of them for just 280$ + Shipping. That's really awesome. They are currently as it seems selling our their NOS LG tubes.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

???

I just sent them an inquiry last week about the 666-A chassis and i got no answer :eh:

Can you please tell me how you've contacted them?
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

Nice price for a BNIB 29" CRT. Would be tempted by one, but looking at the picture and description the tube is a pure flat (i.e not curved like the original monitor) so your old surround wont fit properly. Yours will be a NOA-1502-02, but i would have thought you will need the version of the surround for the NewNetCity with a flat monitor NOA-1502-03 but its just finding one. Also if you was to buy one of these for something like a NAC then you dont have many options other than having a gap around the surround, or modifying it to fit flush

I fitted a WG D9400 in mine which is a tri-sync, and has exectly the same curve on the tube as the original monitor. It wasnt new, but has a mfr date of 2008 making it a lot newer than the old monitor
denson

Post by denson »

maxisoft2 wrote:I did it, I ordered: GUYS! Whoever needs a new monitor at the moment: Wei-Ya has a promotion going on on their M3129 - 29” CRT monitor! (Tri-Sync & LG Trueflat Tube) - I just ordered one of them for just 280$ + Shipping. That's really awesome. They are currently as it seems selling our their NOS LG tubes.
Blimey, that's only about £185 :-o do you mind me asking how much the shipping was?
maxisoft2
Please Continue...

Post by maxisoft2 »

Hey guys!

I paid 220$ for shipping. Quite a lot. But the monitor already arrived today! Extremely quick. Luckily shipping and customs is tax deductible here so it's not such a bad hit as when ordering privately.

Vicky Hsieh, sales01@weiya.com.tw is the lady that gave me the stunningly great service.

Regards,
- Max
DaveyD

Post by DaveyD »

Hurry up and get it fitted, then let us know it looks :D 8-)
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

DaveyD wrote:Hurry up and get it fitted, then let us know it looks :D 8-)
+1
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

maxisoft2 wrote:Hey guys!

I paid 220$ for shipping. Quite a lot. But the monitor already arrived today! Extremely quick. Luckily shipping and customs is tax deductible here so it's not such a bad hit as when ordering privately.

Vicky Hsieh, sales01@weiya.com.tw is the lady that gave me the stunningly great service.

Regards,
- Max
Most interesting, and awaiting pictures on geometry and colors! Where are you located, as I consider getting one or two myself (Europe) and don't think 220 USD for sihpping is so bad considering the weight..
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
maxisoft2
Please Continue...

Post by maxisoft2 »

Hey Guys!

The monitor sadly looks a mess. I received it and somehow the magnetic field must have shifted during shipping, since I received images that showed it working perfectly before it was shipped. The integrated de-gaussing circuit will not fix it, so I will I guess have to get a de-gaussing wand and try my best. Those tools are sadly hard to come by around here... Any other advice on what I could try? The monitor looks fine construction-wise but the calibration is out of whack. Also, the metal bracket that holds it has to be switched to the stock naomi one since the spacing of the mounting holes does not match up. All in all, I think the problems are fixable, but it will take some work. Maybe you guys have a heads-up what I could do about the magnetization issues?

You can check an image of the distortion here, it is a combination of grid-warp, color halos and convergence issues (which might all happen since to a wrong magnetization): http://www.files.mxo.cc/weiyya-magnetization.jpg

About the shipping price: I am located in southern Germany.

Best!
- Max
DaveyD

Post by DaveyD »

the wavy sides looks like the geometry needs adjusting (pincushion) the green patch looks like magnetic interfenence ( CRt monitors can be affected by this by just flipping them from horizontal to vertical) a monitor in one of my old cabs would screw the colours up in places when i rotated the monitor, and it would take a few days for it to sort itself out.
The rainbow colours at the outer edges looks like colour convergeance.

Are these monitors digital with a full set of controls for adjustment, or does it just have a few potentiometers with the the basic adjustments?
maxisoft2
Please Continue...

Post by maxisoft2 »

... Just a couple of pots for adjustments - nothing fancy or digital included.
denson

Post by denson »

Sorry to hear it has suffered in transit, that is always a big disappointment :( I hope you get it sorted easily.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Wow, you have all my understanding there; that issue really sucks. I wonder how does that look with a grid and with purity check screens, but the distortion as a whole makes me think like something went loose like the yoke, the purity rings or maybe some coil on the chassis.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

It's sad to buy a new monitor and find it like that, really hope you can fix it mate.

Regarding the de-gaussing wand, i bought one on Ebay for around 5€ shipped, and works 100%, you can build one but i don't think it's worth the hassle.

Best of luck with the repairs!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

RMRM wrote:Regarding the de-gaussing wand, i bought one on Ebay for around 5€ shipped, and works 100%, you can build one but i don't think it's worth the hassle.
Any links?

I'm having trouble finding any for sale much less super cheap ones.