Initial D Cabinet - Monitor "Upgrade"

For monitor related issues
NotSoJDM
Please Continue...
Initial D Cabinet - Monitor "Upgrade"

Post by NotSoJDM »

Good Afternoon Guys!

Let me start by saying, I am new to the world of arcade games, so forgive me if this is a rather easy question.

I picked up a couple sets of twin cabinet Initial D machines, and one has a couple CRTs that are pretty bad off. I have degaussed and adjusted all the settings to try and clear it up, but I think it is just on its way out.

Anyways, I would like to upgrade to an LCD screen, and found what appears to be just a simple VGA connection in the back of the CRT.

My question is, is it really as simple as just plugging the VGA from the NAOMI 2 console into a monitor, and then plugging the monitor into a power source? I see a wire harness going up to the CRT board, and I am not sure if there is any common power or grounds there that need to be rerouted in the event that I upgrade to LCD. Any feedback?

I have already tried simply plugging in an old LCD I had lying around, and at first it seemed to start up fine, but after a few seconds there seemed to be some sort of power surge and I lost all power. I don't know if this was just coincidence or the monitor played some part in it. All I did was unplug the VGA from the CRT board and plug it into an LCD then power it on....In order to repair my cabinet I had to replace the power cord which had no continuity in one of the wires...
LorisBiaggi
Please Continue...
eBay: neominibox

Re: Initial D Cabinet - Monitor "Upgrade"

Post by LorisBiaggi »

I would call it "downgrade".
You can plug the vga into any vga monitor.
About the power source, it depends on the new monitor, if you need 220v you need to plug it before the cab transformer, because the cab uses many voltages (110v, 5v, 12v...) but not 220v
----------- Neo Mini Box -----------
NotSoJDM
Please Continue...

Post by NotSoJDM »

haha, I figured it would be frowned upon, hence the quotes around the term upgrade. But, I do appreciate the feedback. I thought it was as easy as plug and play, but the fact that I had the power surge when attempting it is what had me concerned I may have bypassed some sort of common ground that the CRT board was a part of in the cab, so I just wanted to clarify.

I did stumble across the "How to Correctly Set Up Monitors" on the wiki page, so I will continue to try the settings before going the LCD route.

thanks again!
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Post by outrun2 »

The Sanwa monitors fitted in initialD and OutRun2 cabs were generally bad - well, they had poor quality Chinese tubes. They suffer focus/convergence and colour problems. If you get a nice one then they're ok, but getting a pair to match is a nightmare!

I swapped mine for lovely Nanao ms2932 units - older monitors but they're in a different league picture quality wise 8-) You need a different monitor bezel as the curve is different but they are pretty easy to get. I have a couple spare.

LCD would look bad in my opinion as they're generally 16:9 and these cabs have 4:3 monitors.
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.
NotSoJDM
Please Continue...

Post by NotSoJDM »

outrun2 wrote:The Sanwa monitors fitted in initialD and OutRun2 cabs were generally bad - well, they had poor quality Chinese tubes. They suffer focus/convergence and colour problems. If you get a nice one then they're ok, but getting a pair to match is a nightmare!

I swapped mine for lovely Nanao ms2932 units - older monitors but they're in a different league picture quality wise 8-) You need a different monitor bezel as the curve is different but they are pretty easy to get. I have a couple spare.

LCD would look bad in my opinion as they're generally 16:9 and these cabs have 4:3 monitors.
Thank you for the detailed response. Both of my cabs are exactly as you describe, neither of the pairs are even remotely close to matching! I have 1 nice monitor out of 4, so I am really just looking for any upgrade at this point. I will look into the Nanao units you have mentioned above. I had worried about the 16:9s being an issue, and have only seen one cabinet with them installed online (27" LCDs I believe) that didn't look too terrible.
Chewable
Please Continue...

Post by Chewable »

I know that this is an old thread, but I just got a pair of Initial D cabinets a little over a month ago.
The monitors were pretty bad off. One was OK and the other was too far gone to even be considered - super dim.

I decided to replace them with 27" LCD's

There is a slight stretching with the aspect ratio being different, but you can have the LCD display it in standard format and then you loose a bit of height. I have only changed over one side so far and we played it a lot against the other dim monitor. I was fine with the LCD - even stretched. No one complained, since the image was so much better.
The photo was before we put the controls back in.