Monitor colors out of focus (Solved)

For monitor related issues
PikkaKO
Please Continue...
eBay: summ412

Monitor colors out of focus (Solved)

Post by PikkaKO »

The colors in my monitor seem to be somehow out of focus. What could be causing this?

Edit: This happens on all the boards but I noticed that Street Hoops MVS has no sound and doesn't go past the intro (when I push the Player 1 button) but just resets the game. It gave me Z80 error once but now it just resets. Also King Of Fighters 2001 doesnt go past the intro but it has the sounds. Could this be because of a bad PSU?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PikkaKO on April 16th, 2017, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: Monitor colors out of focus

Post by Devil Soundwave »

PikkaKO wrote:The colours in my monitor seem to be somehow out of focus. What could be causing this?

Edit: This happens on all the boards but I noticed that Street Hoops MVS has no sound and doesn't go past the intro (when I push the Player 1 button) but just resets the game. It gave me Z80 error once but now it just resets. Also King Of Fighters 2001 doesnt go past the intro but it has the sounds. Could this be because of a bad PSU?
When you say it happens on all boards, presumably you don't just mean your MVS, right? If you have only tried with your MVS, try something else first.

As far as your Street Hoops and KOF games are concerned, if you have had a Z80 error previously (which I believe is on the motherboard) and are having issues with more than one game, I would suggest you have an issue with the MOBO and not the carts.

Assuming other pcbs show this monitor issue and not just your MVS, then it would indicate that it is an issue with the monitor itself, and nothing to do with the PSU or game board.

Looks like a (pretty serious) convergence issue to me. Has the cab been shifted recently in such a way as to cause the convergence rings on the CRT to shift out of alignment?

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/08 ... nce-rings/"

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Setup_Adj ... r_Monitors"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYB1L8AIeq4"
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Devil Soundwave wrote: When you say it happens on all boards, presumably you don't just mean your MVS, right? If you have only tried with your MVS, try something else first.

As far as your Street Hoops and KOF games are concerned, if you have had a Z80 error previously (which I believe is on the motherboard) and are having issues with more than one game, I would suggest you have an issue with the MOBO and not the carts.

Assuming other pcbs show this monitor issue and not just your MVS, then it would indicate that it is an issue with the monitor itself, and nothing to do with the PSU or game board.

Looks like a (pretty serious) convergence issue to me. Has the cab been shifted recently in such a way as to cause the convergence rings on the CRT to shift out of alignment?

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/08 ... nce-rings/"

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Setup_Adj ... r_Monitors"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYB1L8AIeq4"
Yea I've tested it on different PCB:s (Battletoads for example) and it does the same. The cabinet hasn't been shifted or anything but it has been unused for about half a year or so.

On the MVS problem, Super Sidekicks 2 seems to work fine without any of the audio or restart issues.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Defo still seems like two separate issues then:

Monitor = convergence

Neo Geo = dodgy mobo

Can you get a video of the machine booting up to game with Battletoads, then a video of it booting up to a test grid?

Which monitor/chassis is this anyway?
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Here's info of the chassis and the monitor. I can get the videos up later.

edit: Seems like all the MVS games work fine again. Might have been some bad contact that got cleaned while switching the carts.

Here's the videos:

Battletoads
http://youtu.be/M7gYfppyDEw"

Super Sidekicks 2 & Test Grid
http://youtu.be/Dz5Dz7-0AQA"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

a better photo of the deflection yoke is needed
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

grantspain wrote:a better photo of the deflection yoke is needed
I'm going to be away for a while and can't get pictures of the yoke until halfway December. Then I'll have time to look more into this.
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Hello!

I've been busy with stuff so haven't had the chance to get back to this in a couple of years but now I'm trying again :D All help is appreciated.
grantspain wrote:a better photo of the deflection yoke is needed
So.. Let's continue. Here are some photos of the deflection yoke. Can we deduct something from these?
LeftSide.jpg
LeftSideCloseUp.jpg
UpSide.jpg
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Err... does the position of the purity rings block look funny or am I seeing ghosts here?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

Asayuki wrote:Err... does the position of the purity rings block look funny or am I seeing ghosts here?
If I remember correctly that was the original position and I tried adjusting them without luck. Not sure though so I'll try adjusting them again. Any hints?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I would try to put it closer to the yoke. However, the one thing that's really weird is that convergence actually lines up in the center of the image. It should be uniformly bad.

EDIT: can the electron guns go out of whack?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

The rings look far too far back on the neck to me too.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Bad yoke.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

My first thought was is the yoke even connected?
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

If it wasn't connected you wouldn't have any deflection, just a dot in the centre of the screen.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Yeah I thought as much, I've never unglugged one to find out :awe:

Are the rings normally that far back on a WG then?
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

The purity rings are supposed to influence colours one by one, so it looks plausible to me that the first picture matches a completely off purity ring set.
The problem is that the axial position along the neck is unknown. As the rings have been turned as well, their relative azimuth is also not to be trusted.
As the neck is quite delicate and the rings block is going to be a problem to budge off, I would suggest to send the tube off to a professional technician who might also have a look at the yoke's position. A full recalibration is needed, and you don't want to make the situation worse.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Maybe you need 3D glasses?

:shifty:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I'd loosen the ring clamp and slide them toward the yoke. Be very gentle as stuff in that area gets brittle.

Yoke position seems fine, the picture looks to be straight. Assuming the photo is at an angle that is.

Adjusting the rings takes time but isn't that tough, first picture looks like when I've tackled it in the past.
PikkaKO
Please Continue...

Post by PikkaKO »

cools wrote:I'd loosen the ring clamp and slide them toward the yoke. Be very gentle as stuff in that area gets brittle.

Yoke position seems fine, the picture looks to be straight. Assuming the photo is at an angle that is.

Adjusting the rings takes time but isn't that tough, first picture looks like when I've tackled it in the past.
Yea now that I look at the first picture again, I can almost see a brighter spot in the tube towards the yoke, like the rings were moved from there. Thanks for the analysis all! I'll try and do this.