Purple haze on New Astro City

For monitor related issues
danuk76
Please Continue...

Purple haze on New Astro City

Post by danuk76 »

hi all

Any ideas on what would cause a purple haze around edges(sides mainly) on monitor

and on this screen the purple haze encroaches onto the red but not the white, and on some games (pulstar) I cannot see any haze

A few more questions if anyone would be so kind as to answer,please

1.What is the ss switch in this piccy, seems to adjust sharpness

2.In same piccy what does H.H and V.H do

3.what frequency should mvs be set to 15 or 31 and how do I tell what mine is set to, is there much difference

thanks
dan
danuk76
Please Continue...

Re: Purple haze on New Astro City

Post by danuk76 »

Well I discovered the degauss buttons on the PSU, worked a treat. The power of Google :P
pulstar

Post by pulstar »

MVS is 15khz. I think that monitor is probably a dual sync, which means 15/24khz not 31. I think there should be a switch on the chassis to change the resolution (could be auto switching though). Also, if it were on 24khz and you plugged a normal Jamma board it wouldn't display anything as it'll be set to the wrong resolution.
danuk76
Please Continue...

Post by danuk76 »

pulstar wrote:MVS is 15khz. I think that monitor is probably a dual sync, which means 15/24khz not 31. I think there should be a switch on the chassis to change the resolution (could be auto switching though). Also, if it were on 24khz and you plugged a normal Jamma board it wouldn't display anything as it'll be set to the wrong resolution.
Thanks for spreading the knowledge, appreciated
kamex

Post by kamex »

H.H: Horizontal Hold. If you plug in a game and the image looks torn and pulled to the sides horizontally (or the top part of the image seems stretched over to one side), you should try adjusting this.
V.H: Vertical Hold. If the image appears to be rolling vertically, you should try adjusting this.

As for the resolution, as far as I know most standard JAMMA boards are low-res (15kHz), but some other trypes of hardware that you might want to run in a New Astro (SEGA Model 2 and 3, Konami Hornet, etc) might run at medium-res (24kHz). You should look up how to change the resolution of the New Astro monitor (if it is stock, a NANAO MS9 I believe) if you ever obtain a piece of hardware that can output med-res. It involves changing a jumper on the chassis, which is something you probably won't want to do very often unless you install an easy to access switch so you don't have to get behind the monitor each time you want to change resolution.

As for the other switch, I don't remember what exactly it is meant to do. It seems to adjust the sharpness of the image, but from what I've seen one setting looks like crap, the other looks fine. Maybe it has a beneficial effect when running in medium-resolution?