NANAO MS9 CRT replacing

For monitor related issues
uncletom

NANAO MS9 CRT replacing

Post by uncletom »

Here's what I've been doing with some stuff from my local garbage disposal. Unfortunately a 29'' CRT is very hard to come by here in Sweden so I've collected a few 28'' instead to test with some MS9 left-overs, to rebuild a *new* 28'' NANAO MS9 monitor.

http://neo.dyndns.tv/technical/Nanao_MS ... CRT_nokia/
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Re: NANAO MS9 CRT replacing

Post by goatboy »

I'm stunned! Wish i had those skills :awe:
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

WOW d00d, that makes great reading!

Well done!

Cheers,

Ralph.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Indeed! Thanks for sharing.

:clap:
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

:clap:

Kernow should read this. Ten times.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Thank you guys. Any time.

Actually it is time to salvage as much CRT TVs as we can. They're going to the recycling, many every day! Good, working TVs that can be converted to great monitors. I've personally salvaged a few, but I'm running out of space because 28'' TV are pretty big to store.

When you find/ pick up any TV with CRT for monitor use, always save the original neckboard, and keep the CRT inside the TV casing for storage if you're not planning on using it a.s.a.p. It's safe there. And when storing CRTs if plasing face/screen down, always put a soft towel or such under it to prevent scratches.

So save these old CRTs from death. Nice, almost new A-grade CRTs from at the time expensive TVs, with NO BURNS or damages. Use them for monitors!
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

Excellent tutorial Uncle Tom any maybe the best topic ever on AO.
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

1st class post, Uncle! Maybe we could list the models of the tvs with good results somewhere?
LoRez

Post by LoRez »

kernow wrote:uncletom:

Regarding your convergence ring adjustment, is there any more info on this? Is there setting/ring to alter dynamic and static convergence individually or just the whole screen?
I see a monumental fail on the horizon ;)
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

:lol:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

*golf clap*

Awesome. Would love to see that being done IRL (let me know if you ever want to cross the pond and work on some cabs ;))
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

good work
muddymusic

Post by muddymusic »

Great write up, learnt loads from reading that. :)
Repro artwork supplier, pm or visit http://www.arcadeartshop.com
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Wurstkopp.
Well, yes, I always rate my CRTs once I've tested them. I've done this plenty of times with some 14'' (+adapted neckboard) and many 20-21'' TVs, using an MTC 9000 chassi and Tetris (Atari) test mode. The smaller CRTs are easy to handle and the fact that they all use similar speced yokes makes it a quick easy job.

The finest CRT I can recommend are the 20'', and 14'' with adapted neck socket, Philips brand that are made in Brazil. They use internal convergence correction which means no ring adjustment hassle. And they keep an almost perfect convergence.

I've cross swapped a few 28'' CRTs already, but that was all about 15kHz monitors so in these cases I didn't need to swap the yoke. This was the first time ever I did it with a Nanao MS9 as I've seen plenty of burnt-in NANAOs out there. I figured it would surely work because the standard shape 28'' CRT, provided it has the correct pinout, is similar to the MS9 original 29'' CRT. A 29'' is basically the same as 28'' however with slightly streched corners to gain that extra inch.

Problem is, well, as I mention in the page, 28'' CRTs aren't quite as wide to fit into the original frame. Plus the bezel will look a bit too large around the CRT.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Kernow. About the convergence rings, ..

Ok, I will do an update, or a new page on the convergence adjustment. But later.

To explain quickly, there's no short cut here. You can only tweak the convergence untill 'almost good'. You rarely get a very good result with only the rings. Often you need to insert small magnetic elements close to the guns to move the beam a milimeter or two. This is fine tuning at higher levels. Same goes for the geometry, you glue small pieces of magnetic film or real magnets onto the yoke to pull the beams in the desired direction.

You ask:
"Is there setting/ring to alter dynamic and static convergence individually or just the whole screen?"

There is no real 'dynamic' convergence. How would that be controlled in real time? Convergence is static and can be controlled per smaller area by inserting small magnets around the neck. "Whole screen" is controlled by adjusting the rings.

Basically what you look at when working with the rings is the area in the middle of the screen, on a 20'' CRT in a cirlce diameter of maybe 15 cm you try to get a 'perfect' convergence. If there are still unacceptable deviations in the corners you use extra magnets.

There's magnetic plastic available at Panduro as regular hobby material. You can cut this into smaller pieces and use for your monitor.

Look what I found for you http://www.pandurohobby.se/pan/IboxServ ... AID=031501
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

Yeh, built a 28" in an Astro years ago, it looked okay, but then the little Kernow in me keep talking: "It's not the original size, dude, it's not the original size".

The Toshiba 2929 DD has the same curvature as the MS9 (which is much more rounded compared to almost all 29" TVs), must be an easy swap with it. Here's a site with more tubes: http://www.monitoresindustriales.com/vi ... s_1024.htm"

There are some 20" Philips TVs that use the exact same tubes (also same tube number) as the Valvo chassis (german woodies used them quite often in the mid 80ies - early 90ies), so no need to yoke swap. I've seen them live and the picture was really, really great.

Got a MS8-18 yoke here, unfortunately a very rare TV size, but it should be working with a more common 17" or 19" tube. I'll give it a try if I find some time.

Btw: If you don't need the 24 Khz I'd go for the normal Tv-chassis. Scart-RGB-15 khz-picture is often equal to arcade monitors.

Again, thanks for your work, man. In 10 years people will kill each other for old crt TVs.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Wurstkopp wrote:but then the little Kernow in me keep talking:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Wurst: Ok, if you use a 28'' for your Astro cabinet then I'd imagine that you would notice that little bit of defference in CRT size. In that case you will need an exact 29'' replacement, if not only to match the bezel. Thank you very much for the link to compatible 29'' CRTs. It can be very useful, but to order such a CRT is very expensive. I'd rather just find a free one and haul it away.

Personally I am not as concerned about an exact fit between CRT and cabinet because I'm building my cabs out of wood. So the only matter for me is to make, example a racing cab, wide enough to fit a 29'' CRT, then I can make my own CRT frame of wood for use with either a 29 or a 28 '' CRT.

About "Scart-RGB-15 khz", I'm not very comfortable using regular TVs as monitors because the adjustments, sizes and positions, are pretty much in the service-menu, which is often a hassle to enter. I prefer RGB monitors exclusively.

For a 15k picture I alwyas prefer the 21'', for gaming at least. The proportion between pixel size, viewing distance and screen size is optimal on the 20-21'' CRTs.

"In 10 years people will kill each other for old crt TVs" - You see the future pretty clear. That will be the case, I think. So it is important to prepare for battle.

Kernow: "I have noticed a couple of mine are pretty loose, but I just moved them to where the paint lined up and left it."

- That's the correct thing to do. Always be aware of the original ring positions. It will save you some time when making slight adjustments.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Right. You will need to work on your monitor externally, not inside your cabinet. Put a mirror infront of it, and make sure that you do not touch any live bits while power is ON. Perhaps ware rubber gloves before you get used to it.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Anyone ever toyed with magnets around the yoke yet?

I'm sure you're just dying for an update, here's some 24 kHz action with model 3 and a little piece of magnetism

http://neo.dyndns.tv/technical/Nanao_MS ... /#Update01