NANAO MS9 CRT replacing

For monitor related issues
uncletom

Re: NANAO MS9 CRT replacing

Post by uncletom »

Kernow, could you please descirbe your experience with the magnet?
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

What?! That is great!
Loving robots since the 80's.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

This is great!
Loving robots since the 80's.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Right. Ok, I see your pictures. You have a very good geometry and overall convergence is OK too, ofcourse not in the upper left corner on the vertical game there.

Have you checked that the yoke isn't too close, or too far from its optimal position? Have you pushed and pulled it forth and back to see how this affects the corners?

And, did you completely remove the yoke to see if any of the inner magnets are present, or gone?

And your CRT is the original for the MS9 monitor? What CRT is it? Can you check the lable?

You know what. Could you show me the other corner too please? The lower right as well as the upper right, please. I'd like to check how the color grids are rotated relative to each other. Maybe your convergence could be improved by splitting the ring-pairs some. Remember the 'scissor effect'?

Also, I read in the thread, regular fridge-magnet plastic is a little weak. You need a slightly more magnetized bit for this.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Alright. Where are the speakers located in your cabinet?

And, you really need to get to feel your monitor better. You can't do that unless you take it out or the cabinet and hang out with it some. Have a cup of coffe beside it .., or if you're in England a cup of tea perhaps. Make yourself and your monitor comfortable, don't stress it. And the mirror is important. A monitor as large as 29'' cannot be viewed whole unless you view it from a mirror.

Take your time, don't stress it. But try to set up a working position for you and your monitor outside the cabinet. Don't be shy, and certainly don't let your monitor be shy. Your monitor is your life partner, you must become closer.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Anyway. To address the problem, I would almost bet on that the problem is your yoke being lose. If there are magnet, inner magnets, they need to be closer to the CRT. If the yoke is lose these magnets aren't in their intended positions.

Come on, get a mirror at least.

Haha.. If I'd live closer to you we would already have a nice picture on your MS9.

Did you know that your CRT can actually stand by itself if the surface of ground, or table, if it is flat enough?
Last edited by uncletom on September 3rd, 2011, 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

You can order your magnetic plastics with desired magnetic properties http://magnetvaruhuset.se/product.html/ ... gory_id=16

But oh is it expensive! Better borrow from older TVs / monitors.
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Post by thomj »

kernow wrote:I have a big mirror I could use, if I set that up at least I can see directly what stuff does when I press on things or whatever.

hard to be arsed when you're not tall enough to get it off the ceiling above the bed :(
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

kernow wrote:I have a big mirror I could use, if I set that up at least I can see directly when I'm getting electrocuted.
:think:

The mirror works great, I've used this as well when I had my really horrible Wei Ya and got pretty good results. I have too wished to have UncleTom closer by, and we both at least live in Sweden. :lol:
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Thing is, kernow, that I am almost sure that your 29'' CRT can stand by itself. All 14, 19-21 CRTs can do it. Just don't rock the table. Ofcourse the safest is always to mount it in a frame.

Hehe, yes, Empi and I both live in Sweden. But as Sweden is such a long country it's hard to keep a social life unless the price of petrol goes down.

Then again, only the lower half of Sweden is infact inhabited, the northern regions are mostly forests, hills, mountains, tundra and marshes. You'd need a helicopter to really get around. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden#Geography )

I almost forgot, we do have our 'indians' as well. The Sami http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people We must never forget that this land is really theirs, they were here first. Lately I've been listening to http://sverigesradio.se/sameradion/ which I find spiritually very satisfying. They do alot of 'jojking' which is a primeval form of expressing yourself, the song of all songs. A really gifted and very much underestimated culture.
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Tonight I wanted to do the Videocolor CRT but I'm a bit under the weather so I think I will rest instead.

I've got three more 28'' CRTs to test with the MS9, so I'll be updating here soon again.
xmas

Post by xmas »

can you give some infos about how close resistance and inductance must be compared to the original tube and how it affects the picture
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

I see that you are confusing CRT with yoke. CRT and yoke are two different components.

If you look at the picture on the page where I'm running the MS9 chassi with the TV's yoke, you can see how it looks. Bad. Still, the TV yoke had a very close Ohm value to the MS9 yoke, but since the yokes differ in other ways, I just wouldn't recommend even trying to use TV yokes with the MS9.

Although a 15kHz monitor like i e Hantarex MTC 9000, and others, work very well with TV yokes, sometimes even better than with Hantarex's supplied yoke, the dual-sync Nanao seems to be quite particular with its yoke.

I can't tell you anyting about any inductans values since I've never measured this on any yoke. But a sad fact is that original CRTs from MS9 monitors that go recycled often take their yokes with them, which is very bad because I have a feeling that MS9 yokes are pretty exclusive.

Has anyone got a good picture with an MS9 chassi together with a 15kHz TV yoke? Please let me know the TV brand and model.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

most tv are 0.900 to 1.8mh yoke
nanao ms9-29 is a 0.300mh yoke
most standard 15khz chassis will work on a tv just fine
there are some very late tv's that had 0.300mh yoke
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Thank you for this info, Grant. ''very late tv's'', would these be 100 Hz TV's perhaps? I then understand that the higher scanning frequency requires a lower mH yoke.

And the 0.3 mh is on the horizontal, or vertical coil?

I'll be sure to pick up any 100 Hz TV's I find, to do some testing. It would feel comforting to know that there are occasional yokes in my local garbage that work with MS9.

And this also means that I should get an inductance meter.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

uncletom wrote:And this also means that I should get an inductance meter.
I'm happy for you. :awe:
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

uncletom wrote:Thank you for this info, Grant. ''very late tv's'', would these be 100 Hz TV's perhaps? I then understand that the higher scanning frequency requires a lower mH yoke.

And the 0.3 mh is on the horizontal, or vertical coil?

I'll be sure to pick up any 100 Hz TV's I find, to do some testing. It would feel comforting to know that there are occasional yokes in my local garbage that work with MS9.

And this also means that I should get an inductance meter.
horizontal yoke
pretty sure tv's with vga input are around 0.300mh-not sure though
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Well then, perhaps one can use yokes from old naomi monitors, Sanwa or Nanao, with MS9 chassis? Has anyone tried this? I think I've heard somewhere that Nanao dual-syncs could be 'upgraded' to tri-syncs by swapping chassi. So 31kHz and 25kHz would use the same specs.

Empi, I *should* get an inductance meter. I'm not so sure I will. I've got so many meters and toys already, and I never use half of what I have.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

nanao ms2930-2934 are all 0.195mh yokes,sanwa es31 is 0.300mh
i have installed 666a on es31 and they are great,666b1 on ms2932 and they are fine on 31khz but **** on 15khz

other considerations are heater voltage
uncletom

Post by uncletom »

Thanks again for info, Grant. Very useful.

Oh and right. Heater voltages. My experience says that most 28'' CRTs, at least the ones I've found, are 12V (not the 6,3V). I have a feeling that 6,3V are mostly older CRTs, am I right?

How many 28'', or 29'' use other than 12V heaters today?

Grant, will you please tell me about the '****' look in 15kHz? I'm curious in what way it's bad.

Also, have you ever tried a *MS8* chassi (& yoke) with a normal 28'', please? I'm curious about the geometry as the CRT in those 26'' MS8 is rounder.