TV tube into arcade monitor

For monitor related issues
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

TV tube into arcade monitor

Post by Akuma »

Okay guys,

I'd like to start this topic since I want to try this in 2011, even though I am a bloody beginner when it comes to CRTs...

First thing I wonder is focus - I know there are single focus and dual focus monitors - whatever they do... Is this focus part of the tube or part of the yoke?

Reason why I am asking: I got a 29 inch TV which has a pure flat tube which I'd like to use for this project. If I am not mistaken, pure flat monitors are usually dual focus? So if this is part of the tube, I'll need a yoke and chassis to match - right? But if it depends on the yoke, I could even put on a single focus yoke and chassis on? Of course always given that yoke and chassis are compatible in terms of resistance...
Mellor
Please Continue...
Initials: MEL

Re: TV tube into arcade monitor

Post by Mellor »

I can't help with your answers but I am interested in how you get on if you post your progress. Always dirt cheap TV's 29" in size going on Ebay and they are supposed to be of better quality than arcade tubes!

I have heard of people saying it is a dual focus CRT, I believe they are talking about the tube. There are dual focus neckboards so I assume they plug in onto dual focus tubes. I don't understand either so I am certainly not sure!

I can't even find any info explaining the differences online!
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Ah yes, sure - I want to document my progress here so we have some sort of tutorial at best... :awe:
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Yes, I know that you can just hack the scart, but that's the ghetto solution and I want to do it properly (as always ; ) e.g. - real arcade chassis :awe:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

We actually tried the ghetto solution recently. It was an OK Baby cab and an old 29" Phillips TV. The problem with the TV chassis is that there are no controls to adjust the picture on the chassis itself and the service menu can be tosh (as it was on the Phillips).
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I've already looked at doing this to source a replacement tube for the pony-III as 24/25" TV's are peanuts - I picked up some for about £5 each.

Jomac does arcade chassis that you can use to convert TV's to JAMMA monitors you just need to email him with pin layout & yoke readings (impedence & inductance).

Toshiba, Panasonic & philips are your best donors - Avoid Sony as the trinitron tubes cannot be converted.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Any new on this? I might need a replacement tube too.
Last edited by zumbito on December 12th, 2016, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo
Initials: SDF

Post by Shadolf »

Is there someone with experience in doing such a convertion? Any examples and maybe photos would be nice and very helpfull, as real arcade monitors get rare, especially those with nice tubes.
CRT-TV hunting is somewhat of a new hobby of me, as they are cheap and there a lot out there with very good condition. I got some that were turned on just for unter 60 hours in their whole lifetime.
About the ghetto hack, with some TV´s its not possible cause their chassis is to big, so they won´t fit in every cab.

What about those chinese universal chassis one can buy at ebay? I think DevilSoundwave had some of them at his ArcadeJapan shop. Are they any good? Experiences wellcome.

What's about donor tubes from 100Hz TV´s? Are there any problems with them? Grundig and Metz TV´s are also great tube donors as Grundig often has Thoshiba tubes and Metz mostly Philips I think.

Jomac is in Australia, right? Does he also make TriSync chassis? Does he make copies of other/original chassis or has he a self made layout that he adapts to the tubes?
How much is shipping to EU? Any experiences?
This is his homepage, right?
http://www.jomac.net.au/products/chassis-new/
Hmm, so many questions, maybe I should contact him myself :D