Hantarex Polo One

For monitor related issues
Mellor
Please Continue...
Initials: MEL

Hantarex Polo One

Post by Mellor »

I thought i'd kick things off and give Grant some much needed general monitor harrassment ;) Hey Pang good job

28" Polo one monitor. Is R227(10w4ohm7J) being bad going to stop me from getting any picture whatsoever? The thing is I can here high voltage/horizontal oscillator type noise but I get nothing on screen at all. And also where is going to be a good place to find a replacement! Anything Maplins may have!?

Ta
Ian
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Hantarex Polo One

Post by grantspain »

r227 should be 4r7 10 watt,very rare for it to go faulty-i have seen the track crack around this resistor many times
check the track a meter the voltage on each side of the resistor,the side in line with c168 should be 145vdc
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

It hasn't gone bad as such. It was a machine that was working before transporting. I only wanted it for certain parts and the monitor was just a bonus, keep it as a spare as I have 3 machines that have polo 28's in, one other you know about. The e/w board to the Star shall be in tomorrow!! Anyways the actual R227, I believe thats what it says on the board is broken clean in two. Two rough handling Asian chaps delivered it! Nothing to do with Mo btw..... Long white one located at the corner of the chassis.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yeah i bet the circuit board is cracked at that corner or the resistor has broken the solder pad from the track
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

Here is the little bugger. Not sure how they managed this but the monitor was held by one bolt without a nut on the end! Seems to be the only damage though. What does the letter mean then in wire wound resistors? I'd have thought only the power rating and the resistance matters. What does the J or K or whatever represent??
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

J in electronics terms denote Joules which is energy
i don't think its that important in this instance,just make sure you get a 10watt 4r7
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

Cheers Grant,

I have to admit these things go over my head. Would any of the Maplins list do? Whats the difference if any of the one you suggest and the Maplins 4k7? Or is that indeed the one I want. I think 40p would be my cheapest arcade fix to date :lol:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?men ... 0Wirewound
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

nah thats no good,you 4R7(4.7) ohms 10WATTS-the one you have shown is 4k7(4700ohms)
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

Ok cheers bud.

I would have guessed the 4k7 was k for thousand. Just didn't get why r is then 4.7. Maplins don't have them then will have to look elsewhere.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

if you have problems getting one let me know as i have 1 spare you can have
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

Cheers Grant.

I'll have a nose about and see. No mad rush with this one as it is cabless at the moment. I will use it as a test station/other cab backup I think. If I find one I can add the place to favourites as a future supplier too. I should get round to the Polo Star tomorrow so I'll post up the results of that.

Ta
Ian
Mellor
Please Continue...

Post by Mellor »

I found a decent resource local to me. Farnells (leeds) They have a trade counter too and the resistors I need for 26p each. Looks like a good place to get me a catalogue. They have price reductions on 5+,10+ etc so I may as well get 5 of everyhting I need and try to organise a spare parts divided drawer or something.

On these wire wound cermaic resistors the J means a 5% tolerance and the K means a 10% tolerance. I should have thought tolerance was the thing missing info wise! Not too important anyhow! I have 3 more untesetd monitors to go. I haven't had one working yet out of 9 cabs without working on them. I don't have much look but I seem to be learning at a decent rate! In a nerdy amateur tech sort of way I am enjoying it!