Eizo trisync 15khz RGB geometry issues with some consoles

For monitor related issues
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Eizo trisync 15khz RGB geometry issues with some consoles

Post by keropi »

... yet more questions regarding the EIZO Flexscan 8060s I recently got :oops:

First let me say that in pc usage in all 3 standards (cga/ega/vga) the monitor is fine with no geometry issues. But I have noticed that in some 15khz RGB consoles the image is skewed :problem:

Here is a nice photo from a RGB modded PCE - c-sync from the console's encoder :

SMS1 with c-sync and 3rd party rgb cable - c-sync from the console's encoder :

Saturn with original rgb cable , apparently c-sync is used by default :

All nice and straight.

On the other hand you can also get the skewed treatment:

PS1 with 3rd party rgb sync-on-luma cable (using either a sync stripper OR modding the console to output c-sync instead of luma in the av-port produce the same result)

Dreamcast with 3rd party rgb cable - c-sync from the console's encoder :

French N64 with 3rd party rgb cable - c-sync from the console's encoder :

That skewing is annoying. What could be the cause of that?
All consoles use the same EIZO->SCART adapter I made so that part is common in every photo.
Is there something to look for or something to try or it's just the way it is with this old monitor? If all consoles had the same issue then I'd look for some 15Khz geometry pot but now it's different. Needless to say all consoles display fine in another monitor like a TV or a Commodore 1084.

Any tips/ideas will be appreciated, thanks!!! :awe:
keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Re: Eizo trisync 15khz RGB geometry issues with some consoles

Post by keropi »

OK I found something that helps, I will write it just in case anyone else needs it in the future. :awe:

There is a pot in the middle of the main board called "H.S GAIN" (directly under the neck assembly) - if you fine-tune it you will make a compromise between the 3 sync modes (15/22/31khz).
You can sacrifice a tiny unnoticeable amount of skewing in the TLL PC modes and fix considerably the analog 15khz ones. It's not a complete fix but the result is more than acceptable considering this is almost a 30 years old screen.
I know believe the monitor was tuned for serious usage and not ps1 games :lolno: :lolno: :lol: