Wei-Ya M3129D - I broke it! T_T Degaussed and now rings of color!

For monitor related issues
rewrite
eBay: quin-leyd
Initials: ATP

Wei-Ya M3129D - I broke it! T_T Degaussed and now rings of color!

Post by rewrite »

So, I looked at the diagram in this thread (http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=10775), saw that on CN1A you wire a switch to the two pins nearer to the edge of the chassis in order to degauss. So I did... One wire to each of the two pins, and used a button. And now I have this lovely thing... What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it? :/

http://imgur.com/gkR61um
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Wei-Ya M3129D - I broke it! T_T Degaussed and now rings of color!

Post by grantspain »

did you remove the link?
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

grantspain wrote:did you remove the link?
I don't know what you're asking. :/
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

did you read the entire post about adding a degauss switch-did you see what i wrote?
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

grantspain wrote:did you read the entire post about adding a degauss switch-did you see what i wrote?
I see that now, but I did not cut that link.

It had a manual degauss switch wired up in the AWSD it came out of, I would have assumed that I didn't need to do anything aside from wire up another in the new cab...
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

let me get this right,this monitor was always manual degauss and you just swapped it into a different cab and added a switch?

if so hold down the switch longer
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

grantspain wrote:let me get this right,this monitor was always manual degauss and you just swapped it into a different cab and added a switch?

if so hold down the switch longer
That is absolutely what happened. Came out of my AWSD with manual degauss button. I swapped the PF from my NNC into the AWSD and I put the Wei-Ya in my NNC. The NNC Degauss button gets wired through an AMP connector on the side of the monitor frame and doesn't pinout to the Wei-Ya's degauss button wiring. I wanted to leave the cabinet wiring intact just in case someone put a PF back in down the road, so I just wired up a push-button directly to the degauss switch pins. Pressed the button and now circles. I will try holding it down in a few here.

I know for a fact that it's manual degauss because I bought it from a gentleman who sold it to me "AS-IS" because of green discoloration on two corners. I paid him, took it home, pressed the degauss button in the bottom and had a perfectly working cab, haha.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Nope, all my colors are just paler now....
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Broken PTC?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Asayuki wrote:Broken PTC?
What's a PTC and how do I check it?

Is there something I could have shorted or fried via the degauss button pins?
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

AteThePrincess wrote:What's a PTC and how do I check it?

Is there something I could have shorted or fried via the degauss button pins?
A PTC looks like this:
it usually has 3 terminals and its purpose is to limit the current through the degaussing coil as well as preventing the coil from working continuously.
No easy way to check if its properties have changed, but it doesn't cost much. You can double-check by using an external degausser.
One like this:

If you have connected everything correctly then it's unlikely you have broken something.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Thank you. There's not much I could have connected improperly. I mean, it's really just two pins and a switch. Maybe the switch is broken, or enabled too much current for too long or something. I'll poke around the PCB for the PTC so I can source a replacement. I don't have an external degausser so I suppose I'll just replace the part and see where that leaves me.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

It's gonna be very close to where the degauss coil connects.
kuze

Post by kuze »

AteThePrincess wrote:Thank you. There's not much I could have connected improperly. I mean, it's really just two pins and a switch. Maybe the switch is broken, or enabled too much current for too long or something. I'll poke around the PCB for the PTC so I can source a replacement. I don't have an external degausser so I suppose I'll just replace the part and see where that leaves me.
You can get a cheap external degausser from China using aliexpress or such.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

kuze wrote:You can get a cheap external degausser from China using aliexpress or such.
Any difference between them, or are they all made the same?
Asayuki wrote:It's gonna be very close to where the degauss coil connects.
Well, I found an NTC, and a few other boxy components, but can't be certain which is the PTC. Sorry for being so new to this!

The smaller black box at DB1 says 306 KBL08 - Internet says it's a Bridge Rectifier Diode. The other boxes you can see in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/fELLqWa.jpg
kuze

Post by kuze »

AteThePrincess wrote: Any difference between them, or are they all made the same?
As far as I know there are no differences, I'd just get a nice and cheap one. TBH though I haven't ever personally used one, just seen them recommended in cases like this.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

AteThePrincess wrote:
kuze wrote:You can get a cheap external degausser from China using aliexpress or such.
Any difference between them, or are they all made the same?
Asayuki wrote:It's gonna be very close to where the degauss coil connects.
Well, I found an NTC, and a few other boxy components, but can't be certain which is the PTC. Sorry for being so new to this!

The smaller black box at DB1 says 306 KBL08 - Internet says it's a Bridge Rectifier Diode. The other boxes you can see in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/fELLqWa.jpg
The one you are looking for is the black plastic case marked PCA8R035. The NTC is just the black disc to its side, which has another purpose.
Try and source the same part if you at all can. If the parameters are not correct then it might work too little or too much. Back in my TV repair days there were two or three different models used by all manufacturers. Arcade monitors might be a different beast on this regard, so better safe than sorry. I hope this helps. :)
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Asayuki wrote:The one you are looking for is the black plastic case marked PCA8R035. The NTC is just the black disc to its side, which has another purpose.
Try and source the same part if you at all can. If the parameters are not correct then it might work too little or too much. Back in my TV repair days there were two or three different models used by all manufacturers. Arcade monitors might be a different beast on this regard, so better safe than sorry. I hope this helps. :)

Can't seem to find *any* UEI branded PTC's for sale, nevermind the one in my chassis.

The datasheet for the one in mine says that PCA8R0 is 8 ohms, and then there's a Q or S and that denotes 120v or 220v. But mine has just the "35", no Q or S markings anywhere on it. In fact, the only markings are those in the picture.

AMWEI PTC's seem to be all over the place, but none that are 8ohm. Closest I can find is 9ohm.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Yay for far east products! :problem:
Better higher resistance than lower anyway. You can check if the datasheet of the new part mentions the impedance of the required degaussing coil. Your coil will be around 20 ohm according to the datasheet of the PCA8R0. However 9ohms should do.
rewrite

Post by rewrite »

Asayuki wrote:Yay for far east products! :problem:
Better higher resistance than lower anyway. You can check if the datasheet of the new part mentions the impedance of the required degaussing coil. Your coil will be around 20 ohm according to the datasheet of the PCA8R0. However 9ohms should do.
Ordered some MZ73-9RM. We'll see when they get here! Thank you again!