You've Got Grail! The Valuation Thread

Arcade games, artwork, kit pieces...
Topics are pruned after 90 days of inactivity.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Re: You've Got Grail!?? AKA The Valuation Thread

Post by Jan »

Needs a closet, closet means less space for a cab. :problem:
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

yosai wrote:
SuperPang wrote:Merchandise doesn't seem to be that desirable,.
The Ketsui cube is. Probably. :awe:
2766727037_346ae8a780_b.jpg
I've been hunting that cube longer than a grown man should :roll:
Tony03
Please Continue...

Post by Tony03 »

This type of cube is Still available anywhere ? :shifty:
geosnow
eBay: g3osnow

Post by geosnow »

they grow on trees in Japan. pretty strange but true. ;)
Tony03
Please Continue...

Post by Tony03 »

Ok i will take some ones for my garden so.... 8-)
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

SuperPang wrote: I also found two Pink Sweets rings if anyone wants to get married :hinthint:
I thought you would never ask :fastlove:
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Post by Spectrexcwk »

monouchi wrote:Most Cave pcbs has taken a dive.
For ex not so long ago DFK 1.5 went for crazy money, now they are dropping. One has been on Surugaya a long time.
I’ve always thought owning cave stuff was more out of pride than actual desire to play. The games are mind-blowingly difficult and absurdly expensive to boot.

I mean how many people paying $1,000 (exagerating only slightly) for batrider can even beat it?

Or maybe I just suck at shooters and there’s secretly thousands of proficient bullethell players?
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Spectrexcwk wrote:I mean how many people paying $1,000 (exagerating only slightly) for batrider can even beat it?
That wasn't a good example. Batrider is an easy 1cc. DaiOuJou on the other hand... :awe:
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Spectrexcwk wrote:
For ex not so long ago DFK 1.5 went for crazy money, now they are dropping. One has been on Surugaya a long time.
I’ve always thought owning cave stuff was more out of pride than actual desire to play. The games are mind-blowingly difficult and absurdly expensive to boot.
Most people I know who buy these PCBs play them. And that's why they buy them. I think there is a small minority of people buying them for collection purposes only. I don't know anyone who buys them "out of pride" (whatever that means).

I wouldn't call most of them 'mind-blowingly difficult' either.

PS: Batrider isn't a Cave game.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Re: You've Got Grail!?? AKA The Speculate Wildly Thread

Post by markedkiller78 »

don’t forget the credit scrubbers like Super Pang, he buys the games, plays them, but still isn’t worthy :lol:
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

Spectrexcwk wrote:
I mean how many people paying $1,000 (exagerating only slightly) for batrider can even beat it?
Sure, there are people buying them only for collection....and thats a shame.
Cave games are the best in the genre with incredible high production value/depth and deserves to be played. :thumbup:

But it seems hunting cardboard is more popular than hunting 1cc/score these days?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

There's always been a lot of resentment towards Cave collectors for some reason which is why I've tried not to swing my Cave collector dick around the forums too much and rarely post pics of my stuff. I can't speak for other collectors like Sven but I imagine he feels the same. Things seem to have got even more heated since prices have boomed in the last year or so. The PSSC and Exa threads on shmups have become really hostile for example.

Some people seem to feel collectors are less deserving of these games because they might not be as good at them as they are. Do they think the worlds rarest Stradivarius' should be handed over to the best violinists or something?

Do I care if AKLV conversions start appearing? Yes, but only because it means other games are going to be sacrificed, not because it devalues my kit. I didn't buy it as some sort of gaming bitcoin investment. If that was the case I'd have cashed in already and maybe scraped 5 figures sterling. I bought it because it's a great game, beautifully packaged, a great bit of fan service.

What does buying "out of pride" or "just for collection" mean? Of course I play these games. Maybe not as much as some of you, and I certainly play some games a lot more than others but this isn't a sealed game collection.

I have a bunch of CPS2 kits as well but that doesn't seem to give anyone a sandy vagina. I bought those for the same reason, because I love the games and it's pretty cool to find the full package as it was the day it arrived in the game center.

For me, Cave were in a league of their own. Their games have depth to them that will last me a lifetime. Scoring hooks that give you an adrenaline buzz like no other video game. I liked them so much I decided to collect as many full kits as I can, and what's wrong with that? People collect more obscure things. I was fortunate enough to get into it before the prices went completely crazy but respect due to anyone doing it now. It's their money and nobody else's business.
geosnow
eBay: g3osnow

Post by geosnow »

same to me. I spent 100h+ on ddp doj but non on MMP. :lol:
zak
Acetated

Post by zak »

SuperPang wrote:There's always been a lot of resentment towards Cave collectors for some reason which is why I've tried not to swing my Cave collector dick around the forums too much and rarely post pics of my stuff. I can't speak for other collectors like Sven but I imagine he feels the same.
This^ pitchforks aplenty. It's a shame, because you do have a nice collection. I for one loved your cabinet display which was in the box protector thread over a year ago. It was also interesting to see everyone else's displays and collections in that thread - there were quite a few of them! A rare occasion where no one was roasted over their CAVE collections.
SuperPang wrote: Things seem to have got even more heated since prices have boomed in the last year or so. The PSSC and Exa threads on shmups have become really hostile for example.
It is getting pretty nasty in some of the shmups threads, but it's always the usual suspects repeating the same ****. Getting a bit boring now. I don't envy the mods over there.
SuperPang wrote: Some people seem to feel collectors are less deserving of these games because they might not be as good at them as they are. Do they think the worlds rarest Stradivarius' should be handed over to the best violinists or something?
I don't understand this either. I know people who spend a fortune on alcohol, travelling and expensive cars. I don't f*cking troll them in real life because I don't have those things.
SuperPang wrote: Do I care if AKLV conversions start appearing? Yes, but only because it means other games are going to be sacrificed, not because it devalues my kit. I didn't buy it as some sort of gaming bitcoin investment. If that was the case I'd have cashed in already and maybe scraped 5 figures sterling. I bought it because it's a great game, beautifully packaged, a great bit of fan service.
Couldn't care less about the value either. Not buying to flip or sell for the forseeable future. This would bother me if someone irreversibly starts soldering and butchering sound chips. The irony is that it would just increase the value of other CAVE boards. Ha!
SuperPang wrote: What does buying "out of pride" or "just for collection" mean? Of course I play these games. Maybe not as much as some of you, and I certainly play some games a lot more than others but this isn't a sealed game collection.
I have a bunch of CPS2 kits as well but that doesn't seem to give anyone a sandy vagina. I bought those for the same reason, because I love the games and it's pretty cool to find the full package as it was the day it arrived in the game center.
It's not cool to hate CPS2 kit collectors yet. Unless they own a Progear kit :lol:
SuperPang wrote: For me, Cave were in a league of their own. Their games have depth to them that will last me a lifetime. Scoring hooks that give you an adrenaline buzz like no other video game. I liked them so much I decided to collect as many full kits as I can, and what's wrong with that? People collect more obscure things. I was fortunate enough to get into it before the prices went completely crazy but respect due to anyone doing it now. It's their money and nobody else's business.
A million times this! :pointup: I share your enthusiasm. So much so that I've spent 3 years rebuilding most of the collection I sold 9 years ago (minus the Atlus boxes). Back then it was just me, you and sven competing with each other though :awe: the 3 "collectards"!
Last edited by zak on May 22nd, 2018, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

SuperPang wrote:For me, Cave were in a league of their own. Their games have depth to them that will last me a lifetime. Scoring hooks that give you an adrenaline buzz like no other video game. I liked them so much I decided to collect as many full kits as I can, and what's wrong with that? People collect more obscure things. I was fortunate enough to get into it before the prices went completely crazy but respect due to anyone doing it now. It's their money and nobody else's business.
I think it boils down to the best games now being completely out of reach for people just to be able to play. The ports aren't "right", and neither are the emulated versions (in case of SH3 at least, which is fine to play but "wrong" in enough places that it's not "right" either).

There's some logic in the best games also being the most expensive.

Speculating wildly - do deep pocketed art collectors mingle with those of more humble means on internet forums? If so, is the same resentment present?

It's all jealousy.
zak
Acetated

Post by zak »

cools wrote:
SuperPang wrote:For me, Cave were in a league of their own. Their games have depth to them that will last me a lifetime. Scoring hooks that give you an adrenaline buzz like no other video game. I liked them so much I decided to collect as many full kits as I can, and what's wrong with that? People collect more obscure things. I was fortunate enough to get into it before the prices went completely crazy but respect due to anyone doing it now. It's their money and nobody else's business.
Speculating wildly - do deep pocketed art collectors mingle with those of more humble means on internet forums? If so, is the same resentment present?

It's all jealousy.
I'm not sure why cools. I can't speak for the other collectors, but I've personally invited several forum members over to our house to play these games, for as long as they like - I'm based in London, so not out of reach for a majority of the UK lot.

I'm on a fairly low income, but I 'sacrificed' other things to get what I have now. I still don't own a property, but I don't resent the millions of people who do own one.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Yup, it's jealousy.

There are grown men who say playing on cabs and real hardware is elitist because a PC with MAME can do the same thing.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

Having a collection of Cave PCB's doesn't automatically mean that you not intitled to having them, which seems to be the case nowadays. I have my quite a few of Cave games and I didn't buy them just to have them, I also love to play them (even though I really suck at Shmups). I think a lot of people are quite jealous that people bought these games when they were quite easy to find and not nearly as expensive as they are now, most of my cave games were bought in 2008 - 2012...they were more expensive than other arcade games, but not nearly as ridiculous as they are now (most expensive back then was around €600).
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Zak: the fault isn't in the collectors.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

It is not the usual collector that **** me off, hopefully that will be over soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.