[WTB] Wanted : Original Rainbow Islands Jamma PCB

Trying to find something? Request it in here.
Forum rules
Please read the rules (updated 1st March 2014) before posting or your thread could be deleted!
Missile5
eBay: buzz939
Trader Score: 1 (100% Positive)

Wanted : Original Rainbow Islands Jamma PCB

Postby Missile5 » December 9th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Wanted : Original Rainbow Islands Jamma PCB

I am looking for the NEW version of the original game (not the later EXTRA version).

New version will have "-1" on the program rom labels - like "b22-10-1". Old version would be "b22-10"

PCB must be very good condition and fully working (Sound and video)

I would like one with English text but from what I hear you can switch the region (from English to Japanese) in the dipswitches. So please confirm this is the case

I will pay £380+. Send me photos of board

Thank you.
Last edited by Missile5 on January 1st, 2017, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Gamertag: crunchywasp
PSN: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Wanted : Original Rainbow Islands Jamma PCB

Postby crunchywasp » December 16th, 2016, 4:55 am

There's one here, version unspecified

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34769
Missile5

Postby Missile5 » December 17th, 2016, 12:05 am

crunchywasp wrote:There's one here, version unspecified

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34769

Thank you. I'll take a look. Although not sure if I have the money for a few weeks. I was in a deal with a guy for a Rainbow Islands PCB a few days ago but he vanished when I asked for a video of it working. So the board may not have been working - although most likely he sold it to someone else. After that I ended up spending most of the money on another PCB I wanted :D
Sumez
Initials: SMZ

Postby Sumez » December 20th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Hijacking this - it seems I have the "old" version, and I never really thought about the difference, despite having played the game to death and 1CC'ed it multiple times.

TCRF only lists two changes in the "new" version, with the only "new" feature being the 50 mil bonus from getting all bonus rooms, but is that really the only one? And does that mean getting all secret rooms on the old version doesn't break the score cap? I've never been able to do it myself, but when I beat the game it tells me that it's possible.
Missile5

Postby Missile5 » December 28th, 2016, 8:27 pm

Sumez wrote:Hijacking this - it seems I have the "old" version, and I never really thought about the difference, despite having played the game to death and 1CC'ed it multiple times.

TCRF only lists two changes in the "new" version, with the only "new" feature being the 50 mil bonus from getting all bonus rooms, but is that really the only one? And does that mean getting all secret rooms on the old version doesn't break the score cap? I've never been able to do it myself, but when I beat the game it tells me that it's possible.

Like you say from TCRF these are the only differences:

There are two differences with the sets labeled "New" and "Old" in MAME's nomenclature, both of which are related to the secret rooms.

-The 50,000,000 point bonus for visiting all secret rooms isn't achievable in the old version, since the counter that gets incremented each time the player visits a secret room hadn't been coded
yet.
-It's possible to go above the secret rooms by walking on rainbows in the old version. Going past the screen will scroll the screen up to the next bonus area and make the game think that the
player is fighting a boss.

I looked up world record scores and they never seem to state the version used so I presume they use the NEW version - since it was basically just a bug fix. See if you can find a record score video on Ytube for someone playing the OLD version, that might tell you. You're very lucky to have Rainbow Islands. It actually seems like almost every PCB I want is expensive. Even R-Type which I assumed would be quite low price (I thought those boards would be everywhere!!)
Sumez

Postby Sumez » December 28th, 2016, 8:32 pm

I doubt I'm ever gonna manage to do a clear where I visit every secret room. First three are easy, but especially world 6 is ridiculously difficult to pull off (but at least it does make subsequent islands a lot easier)
But if I do, it's sort of a letdown that I won't be rewarded for it. The 50 mil bonus is a bit excessive though, considering it's vastly beyond any score you could ever achieve without it. I think without the counter stop my high score would probably have been around 13 mil total, with the extra life bonus in the end.

If you do find a Rainbow Islands, I do recommend shelling out the price. I paid what I had to, and I don't regret it - it's an amazing game.
Missile5

Postby Missile5 » December 30th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Sumez wrote:I doubt I'm ever gonna manage to do a clear where I visit every secret room. First three are easy, but especially world 6 is ridiculously difficult to pull off (but at least it does make subsequent islands a lot easier)
But if I do, it's sort of a letdown that I won't be rewarded for it. The 50 mil bonus is a bit excessive though, considering it's vastly beyond any score you could ever achieve without it. I think without the counter stop my high score would probably have been around 13 mil total, with the extra life bonus in the end.

If you do find a Rainbow Islands, I do recommend shelling out the price. I paid what I had to, and I don't regret it - it's an amazing game.

When I do get the game - I'll be a long way off being that good. I used to play it on the Amiga a lot in the 90s but was blown away when I found out there were extra islands that weren't in that version. I never personally saw the arcade version at all in the UK. But always wanted to play it.

I've heard its pretty easy to swap the NEW version Roms in, if you want to change it to that version. Just keep the original chips and you can change them back anytime you want.
Sumez

Postby Sumez » January 2nd, 2017, 1:03 pm

Would you need to swap every rom though?
It's incredible difficult it is to dig up details about this game on the internet.
Missile5

Postby Missile5 » January 2nd, 2017, 8:35 pm

Sumez wrote:Would you need to swap every rom though?
It's incredible difficult it is to dig up details about this game on the internet.

I don't know myself but there's a guy in this thread who would know (Porchy). http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80449&PID=731513&title=rainbow-islandshow-to-tell-if-new-or-old-version

Send him a message. I'm sure he would tell you what needs doing. He seems to think it's fairly easy though.
....easily swapped with a rom burn too.
Sumez

Postby Sumez » January 2nd, 2017, 11:10 pm

Yeah, IIRC all the program roms are socketed
nem

Postby nem » January 3rd, 2017, 7:22 am

Easily enough checked in mame. Four ROMs are different between the two versions: 8 (socket 21), 9 (socket 22), 10 (socket 19) and 11 (socket 20).
Sumez

Postby Sumez » January 3rd, 2017, 7:40 am

If four roms are different, they must have done a lot more than just fix a bug with a secret room counter. I would really love to hear more about the differences. This is the stuff I can't find.
Missile5

Postby Missile5 » March 12th, 2017, 10:54 pm

I finally got my own Rainbow Islands! thanks to a friendly retrocade aracde owner in Spain. It's the old version but I'm more than happy with that. If I get good enough, I will think about rom-swapping then.

Sumez wrote:If four roms are different, they must have done a lot more than just fix a bug with a secret room counter. I would really love to hear more about the differences. This is the stuff I can't find.

Yes you can see the ROMS you need to replace here http://www.solvalou.com/subpage/arcade_roms/R/rainbow. I spoke to Porchy (On JammaPlus) about this recently who is a bit of an expert on Rainbow Islands. All the modified Roms are program roms (so no graphic changes) and the game uses a 16bit CPU (680000) and the Roms are 8 bit. So the CPU will read a byte (8 bits) from each 8 bit ROM to make a 16 bit word. If the roms were 16 bit then only 2 of them would need to be changed.

Also a more detailed report on the changes made to the NEW version from MAME https://github.com/svn2github/mameplus/blob/master/trunk/mamep/src/mame/drivers/rainbow.c

Code: Select all

Notes on Rainbow Islands romsets by Robert Gallagher
----------------------------------------------------
There are 3 code segments that differ between Rainbow Islands old and new
version. They are all related to secret rooms;
   The first code segment is entered at the start of a secret room.
         rbislando                             rbisland
   $55EE lea    $C01308,a0              $55EE lea    $C00B08,a0
         move.w #$13,d0                       bsr    $561C
   $55F8 move.w #$15fa,2(a0)                  lea    $C00D08,a0
         move.w #$15fa,6(a0)                  bsr    $561C
         move.w #$15fa,$102(a0)               lea    $C00F08,a0
         move.w #$15fa,$106(a0)               bsr    $561C
         adda.l #8,a0                         lea    $C01108,a0
         dbf    d0,$55F8                      bsr    $561C
         rts                            $561C lea    $C01308,a0
                                              move.w #$13,d0
   The next code segment fixes the bonus related to entering ALL 10 Secret rooms.
   In Rainbow Islands, If you enter the last secret room, you receive a 10,000,000
   point bonus. If you have entered all 10 secret rooms, you receive a 50,000,000 point
   bonus. (BUG THAT'S NOT A BUG - the games says 1,000,000 and 5,000,000, but the code gives
   you 10mil and 50mil)
   The counter is in $10D05C.b, the (rbislando) romset never increments this counter, making
   it impossible to achieve.
   $56A2 cmpi.w #$31,$11c6(a5)          $56CA addi.b #1,$105C(a5)   ;increment the secret room count
         bne                                  cmpi.w #$31,$11c6(a5) ;is it round 49 (50)?
                                              bne
   The final change fixes a Secret room bug that was noted by Stefan Jokisch.
   In (rbislando) it is possible to scroll the screen inside a secret room.
   You can walk right off the top of the screen, and scroll the 'next' secret
   room into view. This is fixed in (rbisland) with the following code;
   $5F06 move.b #1,d0                   $5F34 tst.b  $11c4(a5)  ; in secret room?
         jsr    $1736                         bne    $600A      ; exit this routine, which is getting
                                              move.b #1,d0      ; the room height from c-chip bank 1
                                              jsr    $1736      ; which we don't need
                                        $600A rts

Return to “Wanted”