Sticking a 4-slot MVS in an Astro City

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Sticking a 4-slot MVS in an Astro City

Post by chubsta »

I am hopefully etting a lovely Sega Astro City at the weekend. i was origionally intending to chuck my MVS 4-slot in there until i could get it all mamed up, and like an idiot thought it would ust be a case of plugging the mvs mobo in - they are both jamma right?? Then, of course, i find out that there are differences in the wiring and that particulaly problematic is that the sound amp on the cabinet would be damaged if i did this... So a couple of questions....

Is this right? Will i damage the cabinet if i just plug the 4-slot in?
Is this the only way around it bearing in mind i dont want to mess with the cabinet wiring as i want as little hassle as possible when i cuck a j-pac in it later in the year?

All advice gratfully received, and if anyone has got one of these lying around that they dont use...
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/neogeo ... d_198.html"
please let me know!!
chubsta

Re: Sticking a 4-slot MVS in an Astro City

Post by chubsta »

Thanks for the quick reply - one of the things that confused me was that i thought as the Astro has stereo sound it may not suffer from this problem. best just to spend £15 and get it over with!
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

kernow wrote:Probably does have stereo sound, does it have a switch for mono->stereo anywhere?

even if it was, JAMMA is only mono, so I think it'd still be wired for mono.

Yeah, you're better off getting one of those adaptors to be honest. It'll leave the cab completely default as you want.

I had to buy a straight-through JAMMA extension for £20 too, plus the adaptor, plus a stereo molex to AWSD JST connector harness made up especially by MKL. so it came nearer to £40 for me. But I think thats because the AWSD existing JAMMA harness is pathetically short. You could use bare wires for the adaptor stereo plug -> harness too. I find a shaven down floppy disc drive power cable from a PC PSU works well as a harness for this as the molex fits well when shaven down.
Why do things always end up costing more...

Havent got the cab yet so will wait till the weekend just in case something happens, but sheers for preventing me from **** up my cab/MVS in the first few minutes!!
cantido
Please Continue...

Post by cantido »

You don't really have to spend all that money on looms. You could get a jamma edge connector and finger board from Swallow (http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/-video.htm") for like 5 quid in total, and then get some cheap wire, an iron and some solder from maplin for around a tenner and build the loom you need yourself. All you'll need to do is take the pinout from HardMVS and straight wire all the JAMMA stuff from the edge connector to the finger board, then everything that is MVS wire from the edge connector to where it needs to go on your cab. To make it "pro" you would just invest in some shrink wrap to seal around the joints... job done.
cantido
Please Continue...

Post by cantido »

If the guy that wrote that guide actually read the pinout for JAMMA/MVS he would have maybe noticed he didn't need to wire *every* pin.... but there we go.
I had a mate who was going to make one, I bought all the wires but he flaked in the end so I just bought an extender too.:
Why not do it yourself? The pads on a JAMMA finger board are massive, the terminals on the edge connector are also massive. It's not like you can go wrong. ;)