Pure-flat in Egret II possible?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Mayhem
eBay: Mayhem_SWE

Pure-flat in Egret II possible?

Post by Mayhem »

So I've got two half-decent cabinets out in the garage, a Naomi Uni which has been stuck in restoration limbo forever and a newly acquired Egret II about to end up in the same place. While admittedly something ought to be done there is one complication, I am looking to buy myself an apartment near the city core soon-ish and odds are it won't be big enough for both of them.

Preferably I'd like to keep the Egret II due to the monitor turntable, but it is neither tri-sync nor minty fresh (some burn-in, damaged coating which needs to be polished off). The Naomi Uni however has a practically new Wei-Ya M3129D waiting in a box, which brings me to the question: Is there any way to fit a pure-flat tube into the Egret II and still retain the functionality of the turntable?
Once I start I cannot stop myself
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Re: Pure-flat in Egret II possible?

Post by andygeezer »

Yes, you should be able to fit any 29" CRT in there, just remember you'll have a huge ugly gap though, due to the bezel being designed for the curved nanao.
Say hello to my little friend...
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

andygeezer wrote:Yes, you should be able to fit any 29" CRT in there
Inside the turntable? I thought a pure-flat would have too fat an **** to fit in there? If not that is good news!
andygeezer wrote:just remember you'll have a huge ugly gap though, due to the bezel being designed for the curved nanao.
That wouldn't be a problem, I'll just order a new bezel from Japan along with the art and stools I've already got going from Taito.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Mayhem wrote:So I've got two half-decent cabinets out in the garage, a Naomi Uni which has been stuck in restoration limbo forever and a newly acquired Egret II about to end up in the same place. While admittedly something ought to be done there is one complication, I am looking to buy myself an apartment near the city core soon-ish and odds are it won't be big enough for both of them.

Preferably I'd like to keep the Egret II due to the monitor turntable, but it is neither tri-sync nor minty fresh (some burn-in, damaged coating which needs to be polished off). The Naomi Uni however has a practically new Wei-Ya M3129D waiting in a box, which brings me to the question: Is there any way to fit a pure-flat tube into the Egret II and still retain the functionality of the turntable?
Yes, but you need to shave the bezel:

http://www.arcadeotaku.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=632"
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

^ That's not a pure flat tube.

Also check that it will still rotate. Sizes of neck board and length of cables Etc.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Ah, neither it is. just more flat. My bad
invzim
eBay: prrole

Post by invzim »

Mayhem wrote:The Naomi Uni however has a practically new Wei-Ya M3129D waiting in a box, which brings me to the question: Is there any way to fit a pure-flat tube into the Egret II and still retain the functionality of the turntable?
Where did you source this from?
I make and sell cool Arcade stuff, check out https://irkenlabs.com/ - In The Name of Science!
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Thank you all for the information. Guess I should get off my **** during the weekend and remove the monitor contraption from the ol' Egret to see if it fits on the M3129D or not, considering people pimp their original tubes with Wei-Ya chassis I have high hopes all cables will be of adequate length to survive 'tating. If everything fits I'll go ahead and junk the Naomi Uni, expect a whole lot of spare parts for sale including a complete New Net City makeover set...
invzim wrote:Where did you source this from?
Second hand. I believe it was originally imported as a spare part along with a container of cabs, then sold off to someone who was going to install it in a Naomi Uni shed, only he never got around to it instead selling both shed and monitor to me.
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

As I feared the stupid tube won't inside the stupid turntable, about a 2.5 cm gap between the frame and tube :cry:
So now what. Have a custom frame built to fit the M3129D in the turntable, keep the MS9 in its entirety, keep only the tube and get a tri-sync chassis, or try to trade either of my two monitors for an already tri-synced curved tube. Decisions, decisions...
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

get a gap filler which is made for this purpose http://rs2006.co.jp/e/1_29monitor/index.html"
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

grantspain wrote:get a gap filler which is made for this purpose http://rs2006.co.jp/e/1_29monitor/index.html"
A what? I have no idea what "Escasion" means (seems like a word made-up in translation), but the mentioning of real-flat surface makes it sound like the piece is designed to fill out the gap between a rounded bezel and a flat tube? My problem is the frame/turntable isn't deep or wide enough to hold the tube, when the frame touches the tube there is still a 2.5 cm gap between the mounting points of the two parts. While the RS page does list their monitor as compatible with Taito "Eaglet2" I am guessing that would involve removal of the turntable and using the regular frame already fitted to the monitor on delivery... :?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

oh i see what you are saying now,well you pretty knackered then
would be good to see a photo though,maybe its possible to adapt something
sid

Post by sid »

[quote][/quote] If everything fits I'll go ahead and junk the Naomi Uni, expect a whole lot of spare parts for sale including a complete New Net City makeover set...

Don't junk the uni, Box it up and ship it to me in Florida. I am looking for a uni to MAME. I don't need the monitor or internals, just the cab parts and cp.