Astro city Speaker marquee disassemble

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Astro city Speaker marquee disassemble

Post by zumbito »

Sorry for bombing the forums recently, but have a bunch of projects going on and been experiencing unexpected challenges. I am traying to disassemble the speaker piece in the New Astro, to use some retrobight with it, but not sure how to split the New Astro square marquee and the plastic frame itself. Seems to be be sticked to it, but kinda scared pulling it out, as it is sticked to a very thin plastic strip and I assume without the marquee it wont be particularly rigid to stand the pull:

Thing is it is sticked really strong, and not sure how to proceed, I thought about using some solvent, to weaken the glue, but that might ruing the art, as it has no protection. Anyone that has done it can share how they did?

BTW acetone kind of eats away the yellowing, but leaves te surface scratched, witch makes me think it is actually eating away the plastic. Will retrobight make the frame white again?

DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Astro city Speaker marquee disassemble

Post by DaveyD »

They are stuck together with a foam tape. I have done 3 of my own, and used a scalpel to VERY CAREFULLY cut into some of the foam from the inside making sure not to catch the artwork on the front, and then use a hairdryer to soften the old glue whilst slowly, and carefully prying them apart with a plastic tool, and a bit more cutting when they start to come apart
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

DaveyD wrote:They are stuck together with a foam tape. I have done 3 of my own, and used a scalpel to VERY CAREFULLY cut into some of the foam from the inside making sure not to catch the artwork on the front, and then use a hairdryer to soften the old glue whilst slowly, and carefully prying them apart with a plastic tool, and a bit more cutting when they start to come apart
Yup, I used a razor, I lost a chunk of finger but came out fine :lol: .
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

My one popped right off. I'm going to get my speaker surround painted in a car body shop.
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

trev1976 wrote:My one popped right off. I'm going to get my speaker surround painted in a car body shop.
I'm doing retrobright, will post some before and after pictures, the first day it went halfway to pure white.
RMRM

Post by RMRM »

zumbito wrote:
DaveyD wrote:They are stuck together with a foam tape. I have done 3 of my own, and used a scalpel to VERY CAREFULLY cut into some of the foam from the inside making sure not to catch the artwork on the front, and then use a hairdryer to soften the old glue whilst slowly, and carefully prying them apart with a plastic tool, and a bit more cutting when they start to come apart
Yup, I used a razor, I lost a chunk of finger but came out fine :lol: .
Yup, those suckers are hard to take out :mad:
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Well, I finally retrobrighted, and have to say I am quite impressed, it took several sessions, and we have a very intense sun were I live, not sure if that is beneficial for the process... Here is how it ended:

Can't complain, much better than painting.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Looks great 8-)
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That looks amazing. Are you thinking of coating it to keep it looking white?
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

nem wrote:That looks amazing. Are you thinking of coating it to keep it looking white?
Really wasn't, I am having issues with the monitor and want to leave that working so my brother can have it a go while I'm out. I was just thinking on buffing it to take out that nasty stain in the top part of the right speaker, caused by my acetone attack, maybe some novus. What should I coat it with? I heard that its not only UV but heat that yellows the plastic.
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

That came out really well, Tempted to do mine, but it may have to wait until next summer now, lack of sun 8-)
Looking for More Space!
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Brettster wrote:That came out really well, Tempted to do mine, but it may have to wait until next summer now, lack of sun 8-)

I'm not really sure how much sun is needed, at times I was getting shapes and stains and thought it was because the amount of sun, the back of the plastic is even whiter, maybe because it didn't have direct sun.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

zumbito wrote:What should I coat it with? I heard that its not only UV but heat that yellows the plastic.
Honestly, no idea. I've only heard that retrobrighted plastic can turn back yellow really quickly, but I have no first hand knowledge.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

The only thing I have seen is armorall uv protection or maybe lacquer it.

I had a nice retrobrite PCE but it's started going yellow again, I don't think you can stop it.
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

trev1976 wrote:The only thing I have seen is armorall uv protection or maybe lacquer it.

I had a nice retrobrite PCE but it's started going yellow again, I don't think you can stop it.
I think I'll leave it as is, and lets see how it evolves.