Astro City Yellow Marquee and metal parts

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Astro City Yellow Marquee and metal parts

Post by zumbito »

My Astro has a yellowed marquee, the backlit one:

Thing is I used acetone to remove the yellowing, and it not only took the yellowing but green printing too:

What would you guys use to clean the yellowing?

Also what do you use to polish the metal parts such as coin eject button, or the command list metal holders?

trev1976

Re: Astro City Yellow Marquee and metal parts

Post by trev1976 »

I've been using wire wool and autosol on my astro's metal parts .. works wonders.

Here's my foot panal

Before Polish :

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149040145@N03/TT7555

After Polish :

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149040145@N03/Q7w004

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149040145@N03/52e1sB

https://www.flickr.com/gp/149040145@N03/C47pA3

I just washed my illumination panel and used plastic polish ,mine has discoloured but I don't think you can do much about that.
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Those metal parts certainly look good.

Regarding the marquee not sure if I can accept that kind of colour difference :mad: .
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

zumbito wrote:Those metal parts certainly look good.

Regarding the marquee not sure if I can accept that kind of colour difference :mad: .

Sorry man, you´ve learned it the hard way. Never ever use acetone to clean any plastics or paint (unless you want to remove it). Take an old jewelcase (polycarbonate I think) and put some acetone on it and you will see in extreme how agressive it can be. For sure it´s no problem for PE or PP, but always try pure ethanol or isopropanol at first and only on a SMALL spot!
Before using any solvent, I first try things like dish liquid or maybe bleach (sodiumhypochlorite solution) when it comes to plastic (the bleach can be agressive to steel -> rust). Another try would be using baking oven cleaner or a solution of sodiumhydroxide, you need to put it on and wait a little while before removing it, same as with bleach.

I don´t remember how I removed the rust at my coin eject button, but I think I used phosphoric acid, about 10-20% is enought. It converts the ironoxide into ironphosphate and builds an protective layer. Just remove all the acid with plenty of water an put some baking soda into the water to remove all the acid.

I know some of the methods sound a little extreme but I had good results in the past and remember, always try at a small spot preferably at a nonvisible space.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Shadolf wrote:
zumbito wrote:Those metal parts certainly look good.

Sorry man, you´ve learned it the hard way. Never ever use acetone to clean any plastics or paint (unless you want to remove it). Take an old jewelcase (polycarbonate I think) and put some acetone on it and you will see in extreme how agressive it can be. For sure it´s no problem for PE or PP, but always try pure ethanol or isopropanol at first and only on a SMALL spot!
Before using any solvent, I first try things like dish liquid or maybe bleach (sodiumhypochlorite solution) when it comes to plastic (the bleach can be agressive to steel -> rust). Another try would be using baking oven cleaner or a solution of sodiumhydroxide, you need to put it on and wait a little while before removing it, same as with bleach.

I don´t remember how I removed the rust at my coin eject button, but I think I used phosphoric acid, about 10-20% is enought. It converts the ironoxide into ironphosphate and builds an protective layer. Just remove all the acid with plenty of water an put some baking soda into the water to remove all the acid.

I know some of the methods sound a little extreme but I had good results in the past and remember, always try at a small spot preferably at a nonvisible space.
Yes, really dumb on my side. It went off quite well, with just some dish soap, even the squared one came off with just water... :cry: . Thanks for the tip on metal parts. Does the acid ruin the shine? The autosol option seems really respectful with the chrome finish.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

zumbito wrote:Yes, really dumb on my side. It went off quite well, with just some dish soap, even the squared one came off with just water... :cry: . Thanks for the tip on metal parts. Does the acid ruin the shine? The autosol option seems really respectful with the chrome finish.
Can´t say about the shine because the chrome on mine was in a very bad condition anyway. You could use the acid and then use the autosol and polish with a Dremel.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

I done all mine by hand , hardwork but worth it
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube