Astro City Jamma Harness Replacement & Power Grounding

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Scarletspeedstr
eBay: sol_crew_member

Astro City Jamma Harness Replacement & Power Grounding

Post by Scarletspeedstr »

I've never had to fully rewire, and I'm wondering if there is a drop-in replacement for the harness being used in my Astro City? Essentially, one that would have all of the current connections that would prevent me from having to rewire everything on the control panel. The actual connector has several bent and damaged pins, I pulled a few of them out and have attempted to straighten them, but even the plastic is brittle and cracking. I'm thinking it's best to replace the entire thing at this point rather than patching it back together with replacement pins and solder. I'd prefer to simply pull out the old and plug in the new if possible.

Secondly, the cabinet doesn't seem to be grounded properly. That metal screw below the 1P and 2P is holding a current, found out the hard way when testing SF3 the other day. Also, the metal frame holding the monitor? Also hot. Again, I've never wired a cabinet it was delivered to me this way. I'd like to solve both of these issues and any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

https://ibb.co/iZR4kQ
https://ibb.co/mmSMX5
https://ibb.co/gJwFs5
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Astro City Jamma Harness Replacement & Power Grounding

Post by nem »

Astros have a two pin AC power lead as standard. There's a separate screw on the back for grounding. Have you connected it?

It's impossible to see what's exactly wrong with your harnesses. Is it just the player looms? Easiest would be to buy replacement looms or if you like to DIY, lob off the old connectors and put new ones in. The connectors are AMP UP ones, look on the AO wiki for the part numbers.
Scarletspeedstr
eBay: sol_crew_member

Post by Scarletspeedstr »

Thanks for the feedback. I solved my connector issue by removing an unused pin and then soldering. Despite wanting to be lazy, the Astro City harnesses seem scarce and not cheap. A little surprised there aren't repros being made and sold at the usual places.

As far as the power goes, is the screw you are talking about the one in the third pic above with the green wires attached to it in the back?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Sorry, poorly explained on my part. There's a black nut (or a regular nut) at the back of the cab, next to where the power lead comes out. Unscrew the nut and wire earth ground to the post with a ring or fork terminal.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

You can pick up a power tool replacement power cord in the extension cord isle of home Depot and replace your existing power cord with one that has the ground wire.

It's pretty easy, I've done it on a couple of Sega cabs myself. If you go that route we can certainly answer any questions you have.