Sega Lindbergh Restoration / Modifications?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zeroality
Please Continue...

Sega Lindbergh Restoration / Modifications?

Post by zeroality »

Greetings All,

I'm a relatively new member, I'll start a bit with some of my background. I'm a fighting game-lover that loves beat em' ups / slashers.
So I've been thinking pretty hard on grabbing and restoring one of these to its former beauty, and I have a few questions for some Lindbergh owners out there.

Do you guys still use the original monitor, how do you go about handling some of these when they die? ( Do you order a new one or use another monitor)

I am contemplating one of these and it would be an amazing addition for my guest room, I have one problem with the purchase I'm considering the monitor's gone.

Its a sad story that its gone, but I was having some second thoughts. Wouldn't it be more suitable to stick a low latency monitor? Obviously my intention in getting one of these would be to dust it off and modernize it.

Attn mods: So I've reviewed the forum rules and would first like to inquire of the mission statement. Is a cabinet modification (E.G. switch out monitor with a new one) against the forum rules?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Sega Lindbergh Restoration / Modifications?

Post by crunchywasp »

You can do whatever you like to your cab. Some modifications are less tasteful/lamer than others e.g. a gateau Pony with a 19" LCD or a Smurf Egret 2, but none are against the forum rules, though I think those two should've been.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's probably going to be hard to fit a new screen in the existing enclosure. The enclosure also has the speakers mounted to it, so it's going to look somewhat hacky if you decide to ditch it altogether.

It's not a bad monitor, even though it is considerably old.

EDIT: Not sure if you were thinking of picking up a unit with a duff monitor or not (not sure if I'm understanding you right). If you were, I would first check the monitor PSU at the back that it's outputting what its supposed to be. Output should be 24V IIRC. It can be easily accessed by removing the back panel.
zeroality
Please Continue...

Post by zeroality »

Greetings from USA,
EDIT: Not sure if you were thinking of picking up a unit with a duff monitor or not (not sure if I'm understanding you right). If you were, I would first check the monitor PSU at the back that it's outputting what its supposed to be. Output should be 24V IIRC. It can be easily accessed by removing the back panel.
It appears that there will not be a monitor included at all, so I'll have to buy one of those as well... though I was considering making some modifications to a better, more prevalent brand for faster response timings (1ms Benq monitors).

Its good to know we can speak about modifications here. There seems to be lack of info on these things, I've been looking everywhere and found some informative youtube stuff on the Sega Lindbergh.
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

No monitor? I hope you're getting this thing for free.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

Hellfromabove wrote:No monitor? I hope you're getting this thing for free.

the Lindy SD is a quality build Cab.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Jan wrote:the Lindy SD is a quality build Cab.
Didn't say it wasn't a quality cab. You are right, it is great. Reason I said that was because he will probably have a tough time finding a monitor with a close enough display area size that will fit inside the cabinet. If it gets to the point where he needs to buy a new or used monitor for it, he might be better off just getting another fully working Lindy cab as getting just the monitor might be costly (he might have to get it directly from Sega or try YAJ, but haven't seen one on there). Only way it might work in his favor is if the cab came free or very cheap. However, not sure how much the cab runs for in his area so he might be better off getting a display and mounting it.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

well, it really depends, on his priorities i would say.

the LCD Screen itself is not a Problem, you can easily fit a replacement Screen, the thing i would worry about is the outer Monitor Frame and Speaker unit. If these are not included (lets say from a dead Screen) the chances are very slim to restore the original look of the Cab.

On the other Hand, if the original look of the Cab is not important, i don`t see a Problem.

but yes you are right, a Lindy with missing Monitor unit should be rather cheap.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Most likely it's missing the whole monitor unit (including frame and speakers).

Like Jan said, if you want it look like a Lind, you will have a tough time finding another monitor unit for it, however, if you just want a cab and don't care about the looks, it should be easy enough. The back plate is a good size on the Lind, you can easily mount another screen to it. Then just put some desktop speakers below and bob's your uncle.