Sammy AWSD Audio Trouble

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
jcmorris

Sammy AWSD Audio Trouble

Post by jcmorris »

So Im getting intermittent audio issues with different PCBs on my AWSD. This is all in MONO, all original PCBS. I have tested the potentiometers with an Ohm Meter and they are in excellent condition and function perfectly, so that can be ruled out. The wiring appears to be all original as well. I should also mention that I have tried these PCBs on multiple other cabs (two blasts, an egret 2, a konami windy) and they all work flawlessly.

As an example, Battle Bakraid only output sounds through the Left channel unless I turn the volume on the PCB almost all the way off, then turn the volume in the cab all the way up. If the volume on the PCB is turned up , but volume in the cab is turned down below the 75% mark, the audio is only output through the left speaker channel. As soon as it is turned up past a certain point though it begins to come through both channels. While this works, its quite bothersome, especially for titles that it does not work with (see below). It also seems as if the volume knob doesn't directly correlate with the level of volume per se, but moreso the amount which is output from each channel.

Now as for other titles, let say Ketsui, Im getting NO audio from the left channel, only output through the right channel. Iv tried doing the same thing (volume down on PCB, up on cab) but the sound is never output through the other channel.

Another odd example is Dimahoo; there is no sound at all. But if you flip the Mono/Stereo switch while the game is running it starts working perfectly. It plays through both channels, but sounds completely silent until this is done.

Any help would be great, thanks so much!

Referencing this thread because the owner had some of the same issues and solved them. It was years ago and he's not active anymore unfortunately: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... nd#p318472
Last edited by jcmorris on June 7th, 2017, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SNK SC19-4, Taito Egret II (x2) , Konami Windy (x2) , Sega Astro City (x2) , SNK Neo 29, Konami Domy Jr, Irem Madonna
jcmorris

Re: Sammy AWSD Audio Trouble

Post by jcmorris »

kernow wrote:Is it the original power supply? Check the voltages with a board running.
No its not the original PSU, I replaced it some time ago with a standard Happ one. Im getting 5.02 and 11.76 at the terminal, and roughly the same thing on the Jamma edge.
SNK SC19-4, Taito Egret II (x2) , Konami Windy (x2) , Sega Astro City (x2) , SNK Neo 29, Konami Domy Jr, Irem Madonna
jcmorris

Post by jcmorris »

kernow wrote:Is that under load? Try testing across an IC
Yes thats while it is under load (PCB hooked up to Jamma edge and cab is turned on.) I did test on a few ICs but the reading was so close to that of the Jamma edge I didn't bother to mention.
jcmorris

Post by jcmorris »

Spent some time testing all other PGM based PCBS today, and all three (DDP DOJ, Ketsui, Espgaluda) all display the same symptoms; no sound coming from the left speaker channel under any circumstances.

Also tested a bunch of my CAVE SH3 boards, they all exhibit the same behavior. First, the mono/stereo switch has to be flipped from mono to stereo and back to mono, then sounds comes from the left speaker. No volume comes from the right channel unless the volume pot in the cab is maxed out all the way at 100%. The cabs volume pot doesn't turn the speaker volume up or down either, it seemingly does nothing unless its turned all the way up then the right channel comes in.

Iv also used some Deoxit d5 , no change.

Anyone have any idea why these PCBs would be exhibiting this problem? Thanks again for any help.