What type of sealant is used for securing screw-type buttons?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

What type of sealant is used for securing screw-type buttons?

Post by NoAffinity »

You guys know what I'm talking about? There's always a red glob of sealant from the facotry, like Loc-Tite or RTV, which is securing the button so it doesn't unscrew over time on the underside of the CP. Anybody know what that sealant is?
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: What type of sealant is used for securing screw-type buttons?

Post by Shadolf »

I would try some loctite.
tomiii
Please Continue...

Post by tomiii »

NoAffinity wrote:You guys know what I'm talking about? There's always a red glob of sealant from the facotry, like Loc-Tite or RTV, which is securing the button so it doesn't unscrew over time on the underside of the CP. Anybody know what that sealant is?
On the weekend i made a Namco Arcade Stick Sanwa MOD.
There was so much red glue on 2 screws, i destroyed the socket with the screwdriver .
With the grinder i put a cut , then i got it ^^
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Why would you do this? If you ever want to remove the button (and eventually you will), it's a PITA to unscrew it. Like tomii, I have had to break the rings to remove the buttons.

You can easily get it tight enough by twisting the actual button (grip the microswitch). Rotate to the opposite direction than you would the ring (so counter-clockwise).
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

I agree with nem. There's no need for glue, especially if your cab is at home.

I've had screw buttons which were a nightmare to remove!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Sorry guys, I'm probably not explaining myself well. I will post a pic later if this description doesn't help further.

I'm not talking about putting it on the threads. Usually, there is a little glob of the red stuff, at the exterior of the screw-on piece, where it meets the metal. It holds well, but can be chipped off pretty easily using a flathead screwdriver and/or utility blade. I actually got some Loctite and put it on, but it was very runny...and likely seeped under the screw-on pieces and has bonded them to the metal...and I'm probably now in a similar situation to tomiii. :cry: The buttons are now holding firm, but sadly this was meant to only be temporary as I just ordered some more stylish snap-ins. :cry: :cry:

But, in the future, I'd like to do it right. And, I did try everything I could think of to get the buttons tight on the thin metal panel. There's always at least a couple that come loose.

So if anybody know the actual product, including a model number, of Loctite or something comparable, the info would be much appreciated.
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Was wondering why this needed to happen myself. I've never had an issue with buttons coming loose over time on my CPs. Most likely because they are not in a working commercial environment where they would get heavy play. I doubt you'd need need something like this for your setup. However, if you really need something for it that won't be runny, easy to remove, and won't affect your CP then I'd suggest maybe putting a bead of caulk right where the edge of the ring meets the CP. Should provide support, but be easy enough to remove with your fingernail.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

NoAffinity wrote:....Usually, there is a little glob of the red stuff, at the exterior of the screw-on piece, where it meets the metal. It holds well, but can be chipped off pretty easily using a flathead screwdriver and/or utility blade.
I think it's sealing wax you are talking about.
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster »

I've encountered this on my Sega cabs that came from ops. Sega used that hard gunk on door screws, security bolts and all sorts.
In all honesty I think it's only necessary in a commercial environment where machines get a lot of abuse.

For home use I really can't see the point of recreating this part of a cab's manufacturing process. I've got screw-ring Seimitsu buttons on all my cabs and they've never come undone throughout all the button bashing, and there's not a spot of glue in sight. Just tighten them decently and all should be ok.
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Flinnster wrote:I've encountered this on my Sega cabs that came from ops. Sega used that hard gunk on door screws, security bolts and all sorts.
In all honesty I think it's only necessary in a commercial environment where machines get a lot of abuse.

For home use I really can't see the point of recreating this part of a cab's manufacturing process. I've got screw-ring Seimitsu buttons on all my cabs and they've never come undone throughout all the button bashing, and there's not a spot of glue in sight. Just tighten them decently and all should be ok.
Truthfully, I haven't tried screw-ins on cabs, but on my fight sticks, this is a recurring problem. On one fightstick, I replaced the buttons with snap-ins because I got tired of opening it up to constantly re-tigthen them. Now, on another one, I got the screw-ins as tight as I could on the initial assembly, they wouldn't budge before playing on them, then a day later, two of them are loose.

It's really more academic at this point, because a) these screw-ins may be permanently welded in place with the Loctite, and b) if they aren't, I'll be replacing them with the more stylish snap-ins I ordered.

But, if anybody knows the true product that was used, or something that is truly comparable, I would be interested to know.
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster »

I would say it's likely threadloc, or something like this:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/epoxy-coatings/1965245/
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

NoAffinity wrote:On one fightstick, I replaced the buttons with snap-ins because I got tired of opening it up to constantly re-tigthen them.
Snap-ins are honestly the way to go imo... Won't give you any headaches. But the tabs used to hold the buttons in place can get crispy at times and they may break. However, I've only had this happen to me on really **** repro buttons, like the ones found in Madcatz sticks, or from cabs that have been enduring the climate in a non ideal space for years, like a garage or warehouse.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

^^Thanks mate. I've found some comparable products local to the US, which I may give a try - $6.99 USD for a tube...not too hard on the wallet.

^Yeah, I prefer snap-ins, but was initially building the current stick in question with parts on-hand and I only now have spare screw-ins since I stopped using them. :oops: We'll see, when the snap-ins arrive, if I'm permanently stuck with the screw-ins in this stick, or hopefully the loctite will be forgiving. :problem: