SNk Neo 19 Hood

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito »

Has anybody ever repaired the hood of a Neo-19? It is badly cracked, and the only thing I can think about is taking it to car shop.
Last edited by zumbito on May 25th, 2017, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battlesmurf
Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by battlesmurf »

Good question. I used door protectors (i.e. the little trim you put on the edge of a car door to protect it from chips in paint) to strengthen it in the meantime on these. Would be curious about other ways.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Well... Update, now it is not cracked, it is shattered, and badly so, the central part is just missing. What a pity, I wonder if it can be redone somehow, and for how much. Maybe a car shop?
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

That is incredibly sad :( I would take it to a car shop before anymore damage is done. There are absolutely no replacements for these.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Problem is the cab still has to go from Japan to Spain, not sure if it will suffer more. Really worried about it and at the same time already excited about bring it back to shine.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

I've been asking to some plastic shops by email to hit the ground running when I get back, but nobody knows what to do with it. Everybody is telling me I would need to redo the masters and that would cost more than the machine itself... :oops:
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

Maybe you could try to put an layer of fiberglas or carbon mesh with epoxy on both sides. Just a thin layer. Then sand it and paint it etc. This way it gets stronger overall. That is what I would try.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Yes, I'll try something like that. As soon I get back home I will take it to the car shop, they will know how to deal with it (I hope).
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

oh my :cry: ....
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

GeekMan1222 wrote:oh my :cry: ....
Exactly... My heart went with that hoodie, besides was already broken in a corner which I didn't know.
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Shadolf wrote:Maybe you could try to put an layer of fiberglas or carbon mesh with epoxy on both sides. Just a thin layer. Then sand it and paint it etc. This way it gets stronger overall. That is what I would try.
This. I did something similar to the monitor covering of an Exceleena cab I came across once. It was broken in to three separate pieces. Wish I had pics, but it came out good as new once I was done with it.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Hellfromabove wrote:
Shadolf wrote:Maybe you could try to put an layer of fiberglas or carbon mesh with epoxy on both sides. Just a thin layer. Then sand it and paint it etc. This way it gets stronger overall. That is what I would try.
This. I did something similar to the monitor covering of an Exceleena cab I came across once. It was broken in to three separate pieces. Wish I had pics, but it came out good as new once I was done with it.
What did you do to it?
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

zumbito wrote:Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

Oh boy :(, the missing junk is really bad. Is it from a plane part? How big is the missing part? Can you put it together with tape, so that we can see the "challenge"? It will not be easy, but I think we can do this!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Talk to a car shop and ask for someone who works on fiber glass repairs.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Shadolf wrote:
zumbito wrote:Well, here is a pic, does anyone know the exact RAL code for the hood color? It is sprayed all over so cant get the right tone. Now it has a kind of electric blue, and need to turn it more into a purplish tone I think. There is a huge chunk missing too...

Oh boy :(, the missing junk is really bad. Is it from a plane part? How big is the missing part? Can you put it together with tape, so that we can see the "challenge"? It will not be easy, but I think we can do this!
Missing part is like 20x20, seems I'll have to do fiberglass.
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

zumbito wrote:
Shadolf wrote:

Missing part is like 20x20, seems I'll have to do fiberglass.
Its better than nothing especially since you cant ever find the hoods, im sure it will turn out great
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Where is the smoke screen cover?
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Yes, fiberglas should be no problem. Do you have any experience with fiberglas? I haven't done it myself, but learned alot about construction with composites at my master studies.
I would do it with epoxy resin. You will need some fabric for the inner and outer layer. For the fabric you need to know if it has to be bent in two or just in one direction. Hopefully it's just one, so you can take a stiffer stronger fabric. For the filling of the gap from the lost part I would use epoxy with short (about 50mm long) glasfiber cuttings. You can buy that ready to use.
Then you have to bring all the parts into shape at first. Glue them together (epoxy glue or UHU plus or something). Maybe you need to build some kind of frame to stabilize everything from the inside. To further stabilize the connection between the parts, you could cut small channels into the surface (use Dremel) after gluing everything together. Then put some stainless steel wire into the channels and fill with epoxy. After that, sand the surface and make everything even. The surface should be rough everywhere for better connection. Then put the fabric for the outer layer on the hood and check for any unforseen problems. If everything fits, spread epoxy onto the outside of the hood and onto one side of the fabric. Put the fabric on the hood and be sure to remove all the air inbetween. Now spread epoxy on the outside......

Puh, it's late now and writing on my phone that much is really hard. Let me know if I should discribe the rest tomorrow.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

importing and shipping arcade cabinets :palm: .........