SNk Neo 19 Hood

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Re: SNk Neo 19 Hood

Post by zumbito »

Shadolf wrote:Yes, fiberglas should be no problem. Do you have any experience with fiberglas? I haven't done it myself, but learned alot about construction with composites at my master studies.
I would do it with epoxy resin. You will need some fabric for the inner and outer layer. For the fabric you need to know if it has to be bent in two or just in one direction. Hopefully it's just one, so you can take a stiffer stronger fabric. For the filling of the gap from the lost part I would use epoxy with short (about 50mm long) glasfiber cuttings. You can buy that ready to use.
Then you have to bring all the parts into shape at first. Glue them together (epoxy glue or UHU plus or something). Maybe you need to build some kind of frame to stabilize everything from the inside. To further stabilize the connection between the parts, you could cut small channels into the surface (use Dremel) after gluing everything together. Then put some stainless steel wire into the channels and fill with epoxy. After that, sand the surface and make everything even. The surface should be rough everywhere for better connection. Then put the fabric for the outer layer on the hood and check for any unforseen problems. If everything fits, spread epoxy onto the outside of the hood and onto one side of the fabric. Put the fabric on the hood and be sure to remove all the air inbetween. Now spread epoxy on the outside......

Puh, it's late now and writing on my phone that much is really hard. Let me know if I should discribe the rest tomorrow.
Wow thanks Shadolf, kinda scared me now.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo
Initials: SDF

Post by Shadolf »

zumbito wrote: Wow thanks Shadolf, kinda scared me now.
Yeah, that´s some work to do and you will need the right place and tools. And I recommend to do some tests with the epoxy and fiberglas fabric beforehand, so you will have a better feeling for what to come, how to handle the epoxy and how much time you have before the epoxy is to hard.
I also advice to ask someone to assist you.
Maybe you can find someone near you with experience, tools and workingplace that can do all the work for you. You could ask some car paint shop...
Anyway, in case you want a complete writeup for all the steps, just ask.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

I think you're right. I'll go with someone experienced around. I don't want to screw the hood more. Try to learn as much as possible for the next time. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know!
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo
Initials: SDF

Post by Shadolf »

zumbito wrote:I think you're right. I'll go with someone experienced around. I don't want to screw the hood more. Try to learn as much as possible for the next time. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know!
Please send some pictures of the process or the finished hood, when it's done.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Ok, will do. Not sure when I´ll have time for it though.
Mokum
Please Continue...
eBay: noizer2k3
Initials: MKM

Post by Mokum »

zak wrote:Where is the smoke screen cover?
Does Alfarabi (hope I've splelled his name right) make repros of this?
alienmame wrote:Christ on a bike man
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Mokum wrote:
zak wrote:Where is the smoke screen cover?
Does Alfarabi (hope I've splelled his name right) make repros of this?
Not for the Neo19. Pretty much begged the guy to make them at 1 point.

He only does the ones for SC-19