Question regarding Konami Windy cabinet

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
sugar4salt
Please Continue...
eBay: sugar4salt

Question regarding Konami Windy cabinet

Post by sugar4salt »

Hi~

I have few questions regading Konami Windy cabinet.

Since this is not a very common cabinet around, I could not find enough information from internet.

From the net, I found out monitor from Windy is Toshiba PB-6643, 29 in, 15/24 kHz.
I am not sure if its flat or not? From my knowledge, the best monitor for candy cab is from Nanao (MS8 or MS9) which is classic boldy style.

From the wikipedia, it says windy is one of the best 15/24 kHz monitors available.
I am just wondering what make this toshiba PB-6643 so special on 15khz over others.

I am planning to buy a candy cab either nac or windy. At first, I was going to go for nac but all of sudden, seller sent me
these pictures of windy. Seller commented this is not a easy to find candy cab and also is on pretty decent condition.

What would you do if you are in same position?
I already own a blast city. This would be my second cabinet so I want to make a wise decision. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Re: Question regarding Konami Windy cabinet

Post by copados33 »

Get the Windy, it's a more unique/exclusive cabinet.
On the negative side, is not as easy to find replacements for the original monitor, but if it ever breaks, you can always replace it with a more common Toshiba+Nanao combo.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

I think the only draw back is the monitor dosnt have a cage around it. So can be necked easily If you try and rotate it. Other than that they look great.

Id just pick the cab without monitor burn.. If there both burn free and you dont want to tate it I'd probably take the windy if it was in good nick, just remember parts will be a bitch to find for it.

Finding parts for NAC is quite easy
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

sugar4salt wrote: From the wikipedia, it says windy is one of the best 15/24 kHz monitors available.
I am just wondering what make this toshiba PB-6643 so special on 15khz over others.
It's not too dissimilar to an MS9. It's a bit easier on the scanlines but still pretty crisp.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Glorious monitor, like all Toshiba exclusives.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

I personally like the obscure and unique stuff over the more standard. If it were me, I'd go for the Windy...BUT...would go over it with a much finer tooth comb than if purchasing an Astro of any type or a Blast, just because as said parts are going to be much harder to find. At least that way you're making an educated purchase or educated pass on it. Either way, looks like you've got some potentially great options there!
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I used to own a Windy-2 (shouldn't have sold it).

The CP is standard Sega fit and reproduction overlays are available (same for the instruction space strip). I've not seen any reproduction side art and the marquee is nearly always missing (and expensive to replace).

If he has a good Windy-2 snap his hands off - the Tosh Tri-sync and JVS->JAMMA PCB are the best ones you can get (windy-2 is JVS and is better built than a Blastcity) it's also a nice pearlescent white.

The advantage of the Sega cab is the tube is in a frame (where the windy's are not) so tube is slightly better protected if you need to rotate the screen. Personally I'd get a pair and have one each way so no danger of damaging anything.

I'd go for the one with the best screen, check geometry, convergence, colours and for burn-in and make your buying decision based on that, cab shells can be fixed a duff monitor can't....
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

penrhos wrote: I'd go for the one with the best screen, check geometry, convergence, colours and for burn-in and make your buying decision based on that, cab shells can be fixed a duff monitor can't....
That!