Page 1 of 1

Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 10th, 2017, 5:32 pm
by g4rou
Hi guys,

I got an old original Aero City control panel :

Image

As you can see it's got alot of wear going on, I have a replacement cp sticker to stick on, but I was wondering what is the best way of taking the old sticker/vinyl off?

Thanks.

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 10th, 2017, 5:57 pm
by nem
Hit it with a heat gun / hair dryer, get it nice and toasty and then peel it off. Wear some gloves to protect your hands. If you're lucky it will only leave very little adhesive behind which you can rub off with some white spirit. If there's a lot of adhesive, put some paint stripper on it, let it do its thing and then scrape the resulting gunk off. You will want to put the new overlay on a clean surface so it will stick.

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 10th, 2017, 6:30 pm
by FcoBenitez
That looks in really good condition, actually. Haven't thought of having one extra panel fabricated for using with your new overlay?

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 11th, 2017, 6:03 pm
by g4rou
nem wrote:Hit it with a heat gun / hair dryer, get it nice and toasty and then peel it off. Wear some gloves to protect your hands. If you're lucky it will only leave very little adhesive behind which you can rub off with some white spirit. If there's a lot of adhesive, put some paint stripper on it, let it do its thing and then scrape the resulting gunk off. You will want to put the new overlay on a clean surface so it will stick.


Thank you for the info nem :thumbup:

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 11th, 2017, 6:05 pm
by g4rou
FcoBenitez wrote:That looks in really good condition, actually. Haven't thought of having one extra panel fabricated for using with your new overlay?


Thanks FcoBenitez :thumbup: I've got a friend that's going to make a panel for me, if it turns out to be ok then I'll add the overlay to that and leave the original cp.

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 11th, 2017, 6:07 pm
by zak
g4rou wrote:Hi guys,

I got an old original Aero City control panel :

Image

As you can see it's got alot of wear going on, I have a replacement cp sticker to stick on, but I was wondering what is the best way of taking the old sticker/vinyl off?

Thanks.


That looks like it's still got the original protective film on it? Why don't you just peel that off to reveal your nice CP? :)

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 11th, 2017, 7:42 pm
by nem
Is that what that is? I was thinking it was the laminate peeling off. I had that happen in a Naomi panel.

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 20th, 2017, 11:36 pm
by g4rou
zak wrote:
g4rou wrote:Hi guys,

I got an old original Aero City control panel :

Image

As you can see it's got alot of wear going on, I have a replacement cp sticker to stick on, but I was wondering what is the best way of taking the old sticker/vinyl off?

Thanks.


That looks like it's still got the original protective film on it? Why don't you just peel that off to reveal your nice CP? :)


Hey Zak,

Good point :think: when I get the panel back, I'll have a closer look and see if it is the protective film?

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 20th, 2017, 11:37 pm
by g4rou
nem wrote:Is that what that is? I was thinking it was the laminate peeling off. I had that happen in a Naomi panel.


Ah...it might be the laminate? It seemed quite a hard plastic to peel off :think:

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 21st, 2017, 1:46 pm
by thegreathopper
Yes it's the laminate, I have a really old aero control panel doing the same.

Re: Sega Aero City Control Panel

Posted: April 21st, 2017, 9:03 pm
by g4rou
thegreathopper wrote:Yes it's the laminate, I have a really old aero control panel doing the same.


I thought that, I'm going to leave it as it is for now.
Will post a photo of the repro control panel when I get it...