Another Naomi PSU Problem...

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
segasaturn
Please Continue...
eBay: Chickennoodlespraypaint

Another Naomi PSU Problem...

Post by segasaturn »

Hello!
I have been searching around for a while and I just can't seem to find posts with my problem...

I have a Naomi Sun power supply that is giving me 4.99 volts after sitting for a handful of hours. The pot turned all the way down.
It seems that every couple of minutes of being on will raise the voltage 0.01.

I was testing some Naomi stuff and had a game reset, so I checked the voltages. 5v was at 5.4 along with 3.3v and 12v above what they should be.
Unplugging everything, hooked my multimeter to the PSU 5v line and it was still at the 5.4 mark turned all the way down. Upon leaving the psu running for a couple minutes to search for info, I look down and see my multimeter giving me 5.7 volts! Waited longer and eventually rose to 5.8v! This increase was also happening on the 3.3 and 12 volt lines as well!

So.... could this be a capacitor problem? All of the caps appear to be fine, but I know that is not always the case.
Or could it be a transformer problem? That might be a little out of my league...
I would love to repair instead of replace.

But if worse comes to worse, would this thing be a smart alternative? https://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade ... 13465.html
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Another Naomi PSU Problem...

Post by nem »

Very likely cap related. They rarely bulge (apart from the 2200 uf ones).

It doesn't have a ton of caps, so I would definitely suggest recapping. They're great PSUs.
segasaturn
Please Continue...
eBay: Chickennoodlespraypaint

Re: Another Naomi PSU Problem...

Post by segasaturn »

Awesome!
I will get to ordering the caps today!
Thanks Nem!