Chinese vewlix and TV

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Chinese vewlix and TV

Post by zumbito »

I am thinking on buying a Chinese Vewlix. Given that I am mainly going to use it for SFV, I find the original ones too difficult to find and an overkill. What will make it for me is if I can fit in a nice LED 1080p TV, instead of the ones they come with, couple of pad hacks and it will be a nice SFV cab. Has anybody fit a TV panel in a Chinese Vewlix?
FoxhoundOh
Please Continue...
Initials: FOX

Re: Chinese vewlix and TV

Post by FoxhoundOh »

I've been looking around for an answer to this as well; but haven't come up with anything substantial on it. Having taken apart my Vewlix for cleaning I can tell you that it uses a VESA type mount, which is fairly standard. The problem lies with the TV's bezel, logic board, and possibly the mounting depth. I've been looking at several monitors that might be possible replacements. The best I can come up with at the moment is to use a commercial grade monitor(also known as digital signage). I found several possible candidates on Newegg.com for reasonable prices. LG or Samsung would probably be best, since the original equipment is either one of those two. As for padhacks, I recommend simply using Brook Fighting boards. Roughly the same price as a controller without all the soldering; though the best part is they're compatible with everything.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Thanks for replying! May I ask you why are you looking for a replacement? It just bothers me buying a new machine with a 768p screen when games would look better at 1080p.
FoxhoundOh
Please Continue...

Post by FoxhoundOh »

I'm looking to replace for the same reason. 720p isn't a real dealbreaker for me; but I am looking to significantly upgrade my setup. If 4k was feasible I'd go for that; but so far I haven't found anything that would be a snap-in replacement
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

I see. I'm kind of surprised that nobody has taken the leap. I understand with an original one, but with the amount of Chinese Vewlix and the price of a 1080 TV, I would have assumed someone would have tried this.
If I find something out, I'll post it here.
FoxhoundOh
Please Continue...

Post by FoxhoundOh »

The cost involved in replacing the monitor is not insignificant. An off the shelf 32" tv is not going to fit inside the frame, and must have the bezel disassembled. At best you'd be looking at spending around $200-$300 for a tv, go through the effort of taking the bezel off... only for it to ultimately not fit the mounting depth or frame. Voiding any warranty or return on the purchased tv, and being forced to find yet another. This is why I have focused my efforts on digital signage, though they are at least twice the cost of a consumer grade tv. Remember the old adage of measuring twice to cut once.
Jughead
Please Continue...

Post by Jughead »

Aren't the monitors made by LG in the Chinese models?

If so wouldn't LG also sell a 1080/4K commercial chassis model?
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

spmbx wrote:I can understand the charm of an Original taito one up to a certain point but i'm guessing (especially with chinese ones) most people just figure screw that and just buy some arcadesticks to go with their tv. Seems a lot more practical tbh.
If I could see both side by side to compare... I just dont see myself paying the amount of a real Vewlix, for the amount of games I can play in it. Candies have a emotional component to them that the Vewlix hasn't, thats why I rather settle for Chinese.
FoxhoundOh
Please Continue...

Post by FoxhoundOh »

I found something interesting today while wiring up a PS4 inside my vewlix. It appears that I can force the monitor to run in 1080p, even though it informed me that all resolutions but 480i were unsupported. I'm not sure if it's actually running at 1080, but the monitor itself is telling me that it is. It could very well be that its EDID is telling connected devices that it can't run in a resolution and must be forced into it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jughead
Please Continue...

Post by Jughead »

I don't know if it's of any use to you but I noticed on shadaloo they are upgrading the Vewlix F with a 1080P Iiyama monitor.