Crazy Taxi Sub

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
DreamcastNate
Please Continue...

Crazy Taxi Sub

Post by DreamcastNate »

I just received my Naomi Universal upright Crazy Taxi and discovered the subwoofer foam is completely gone. Playing the game with any sort of bass just rattles the entire machine. I am debating between attempting a re-foam myself or possibly upgrading to an aftermarket sub the same size. Has anyone attempted either of these?
My concern with the aftermarket sub is that I am not sure if Sega necessarily designed that cabinet to accommodate a lot of bass. I feel like I may just start rattling the entire cabinet again. Also, it is hard to find an aftermarket sub in 2 ohm that fits the aesthetic of the cabinet. I feel like some goofy car sub with a big logo on it will throw off the look of the original cabinet.
Brettster

Re: Crazy Taxi Sub

Post by Brettster »

I had an upright Naomi with a Clarion Car Sub, was a smooth blue colour so looked ok
sounded more powerful than the one in my crazy taxi cab but not cab shaking!!

I can post a pic if you really need it?
Looking for More Space!
DreamcastNate
Please Continue...

Post by DreamcastNate »

Brettster wrote:I had an upright Naomi with a Clarion Car Sub, was a smooth blue colour so looked ok
sounded more powerful than the one in my crazy taxi cab but not cab shaking!!

I can post a pic if you really need it?
Sure, that would be helpful.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Subwoofer foam? What exactly are we talking about? I pulled apart a CT sub recently, and any foam inside the box is there to dampen the sound not secure the sub. You sure the actual enclosure is OK and not broken?
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

Here are the pics from an upright Outrun 2 conversion
orsub.jpg
orsub2.jpg
Hope these help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking for More Space!
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

nem wrote:Subwoofer foam? What exactly are we talking about? I pulled apart a CT sub recently, and any foam inside the box is there to dampen the sound not secure the sub. You sure the actual enclosure is OK and not broken?
I think he may be referring to the foam rubber around the paper cone that attaches it to the metal speaker frame
foam.jpg
I've seen a few Sega speakers where this foam has deteriorated leaving the cone free to wobble around
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking for More Space!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Ahh, that makes sense. Yeah, I can't see how would you refoam that.
DreamcastNate
Please Continue...

Post by DreamcastNate »

Brettster wrote:
nem wrote:Subwoofer foam? What exactly are we talking about? I pulled apart a CT sub recently, and any foam inside the box is there to dampen the sound not secure the sub. You sure the actual enclosure is OK and not broken?
I think he may be referring to the foam rubber around the paper cone that attaches it to the metal speaker frame
foam.jpg
I've seen a few Sega speakers where this foam has deteriorated leaving the cone free to wobble around
That's correct, my woofer looks exactly like this.

I think I may have found a solution. Alpine made an OEM car sub for Honda that is nearly the exact size and style. It a 2 ohm, so it should work just like the original. It just needs to be that teal color like the Crazy Taxi one.