Nvs4000psu question

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
mirkvid

Nvs4000psu question

Post by mirkvid »

Hi all,

I have a NVS4000 psu in my NAC. The sound-out is wired to the speakers, but there is no wire going into the sound-in plug, so im guessing it's passing the mono through from the jamma harness. I dont see any disconnects that i need to unplug before i plug a cable from a cps2 into the sound-in plug like there is in my blast. Do i need to unplug anything or will the sound-in override the mono sound from the jam?

Thanks!

Edit : i see what looks like the mono sound plug, but its coming out of the DC OUT 1 on the psu. There is nothing going into sound-in, yet im getting sound...
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Re: Nvs4000psu question

Post by FcoBenitez »

CPS2 will stop sending sound through the Jamma harness if you have the stereo RCA plugs plugged in
2X Sega Aero City
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

FcoBenitez wrote:CPS2 will stop sending sound through the Jamma harness if you have the stereo RCA plugs plugged in
I don't think that's true.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

I must have some other wire plugged into the sound out, thanks for looking - I'll trace the wiring later this week.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

nem wrote:
FcoBenitez wrote:CPS2 will stop sending sound through the Jamma harness if you have the stereo RCA plugs plugged in
I don't think that's true.
Strange, because from my experience that's what happens. If I plug my CPS2, which is connected to my jamma woodie and has mono speaker sound, to a 2.1 system via the RCA plugs, I get no sound from the cabinet, only stereo from the 2.1... Or at least that's what I remember :shifty: I will check again (good excuse to turn on the CPS2 before it dies hehe)
2X Sega Aero City
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

So I followed the speaker wires from the Jamma harness and they go to AF+ and AF- on DC out 1 on the PSU, the speakers are then connected to sound-out on the PSU. This seems wrong. There is another 4 pin cable with a loop and two wires coming out of DC out 1 NC, but I don't get any sound from this plug. Any ideas?

My thought is that this is a way to route mono sound through the amp so the amps volume knob may be used instead of the PCB volume pot.
Stompp
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

The audio part in the NVS-4000 is what has eluded me to this day. It's got a built in Model-3 stereo amp. The mono sound goes in through the JAMMA-loom (don't remember the exact pins) and out though the audio out. The audio in is for stereo and there's a cable available for that (bundled with power cables for the Naomi). Works like a charm...until I turn back to mono sound through the JAMMA loom. Nothing :problem: or at best a faint treble-ish sound with tons of ground hum :( Has happened on two different PSU's plus a replacement amp. Just can't figure out why.

Ah.. Here I'm babbling, not looking at your OP question. Not sure, but I can test it tonight. I've only run the stereo sound from a Naomi where I don't get sound through the JAMMA at all.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Thanks Stompp, I think I have it figured out now, speaker + and - are wired from the Jamma harness to AF+ and - on the PSU and the sound comes from sound-out. Did you disconnect these before you plugged into sound-in for stereo? I wonder if having both signals connected overloaded your amp. Have you tried wiring the Jamma harness directly to the speakers for mono?
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

mirkvid wrote:Thanks Stompp, I think I have it figured out now, speaker + and - are wired from the Jamma harness to AF+ and - on the PSU and the sound comes from sound-out. Did you disconnect these before you plugged into sound-in for stereo? I wonder if having both signals connected overloaded your amp. Have you tried wiring the Jamma harness directly to the speakers for mono?
Yeah, I've been looking for signs of overload, but on the other hand I've only tried with the Naomi over a Capcom I/O and there shouldn't be any audio coming through the jamma (unless the Capcom I/O produces a signal even if audio isn't connected that way).

I did cut the wires on my first NAC to bypass the amp for mono sound and it worked fine. But still, that solution bugged me :mad: Has to be solvable ;)
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

I'll make some plug and try the sound-in for stereo with the speaker +- removed from the amp, then put mono back in and see if it works. It's going to be a few weeks before I get around to it though.
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

mirkvid wrote:I'll make some plug and try the sound-in for stereo with the speaker +- removed from the amp, then put mono back in and see if it works. It's going to be a few weeks before I get around to it though.
:thumbup: :thumbupright: I love this PSU precisely because it's got the mono/stereo option as well as powering any JVS system without issues. Now, if I just could get to the bottom with my blown amp's :shifty:
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

I have mono wired via the NVS4000, just make sure to keep the volume pretty low and you'll be fine. I had to make a little converter cable though as the pinout was a bit different.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

So I finally wired up a stereo cable and a bypass for the mono-in and both worked fine. I tested stereo on a neo Geo mvs then reconnected the mono and it worked fine as well. Stereo makes a huge difference on the NAC. I wonder if the bad mono issue other users have was caused by having both mono and stereo plugged in simultaneously.