Screenprint? Worth it?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Screenprint? Worth it?

Post by zumbito »

I want to print some Astro and NNC panels and trying to find the best way to do it. I have read here and there that people value more screenprinted repros and wanted to ask why. Does it have better definition? Durability?
zumbito

Re: Screenprint? Worth it?

Post by zumbito »

Nobody knows? I had some printers tell me they can only do silkscreen or UV and I don't know which one to choose or why...
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

UV does not look as nice in my experience. However, I ay have used a **** printing company.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Makes sense, but can fading patterns such as the Blast City CPO can be done by silk printing?
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

zumbito wrote:Makes sense, but can fading patterns such as the Blast City CPO can be done by silk printing?
All official panels are screen printed, as it's by far the most economical solution for large order quantities (and there are thousands of Blast Cities produced). Screen printing also allows special colours like silver/gold (so-called "spot colours") for the price of the ink and an extra screen. Compared to modern printers, the density of the halftone pattern is usually more crude in screen printing. However, the originals are like that, and with a high resolution scan you should be able to reproduce the halftone pattern 1:1. So I'd say it's the most authentic way to repro, but pretty expensive unless you can organise a huge group buy.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

mufunyo wrote:
zumbito wrote:Makes sense, but can fading patterns such as the Blast City CPO can be done by silk printing?
All official panels are screen printed, as it's by far the most economical solution for large order quantities (and there are thousands of Blast Cities produced). Screen printing also allows special colours like silver/gold (so-called "spot colours") for the price of the ink and an extra screen. Compared to modern printers, the density of the halftone pattern is usually more crude in screen printing. However, the originals are like that, and with a high resolution scan you should be able to reproduce the halftone pattern 1:1. So I'd say it's the most authentic way to repro, but pretty expensive unless you can organise a huge group buy.
Yes, I finally found a place to make it, but the price is prohibitive specially having to pay it in advance and not knowing how the product will look like.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Well, I finally went with normal printing, but very satisfied with the result. Can't compare it with original panels right now, but I would say Just a bit too shinny, it is almost like a mirror.

Mantrox
eBay: Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Looks great!
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Yup, I think I am satisfied with these. No need for screen printing. Maybe for the Astro Ones.