Vewlix Connectivity & Monitor options

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Vewlix Connectivity & Monitor options

Post by Kwoken »

Hello,

So I'm on the cusp of ordering one of the Vewlix clones that are up for sale at the mo and I'm running around trying to suss out all the various bits I'll need or would like to upgrade.

They come setup for Jamma and I'd like to hook it up to a PC (maybe a console later). From the threads I've read, this is my understanding of the various options:

Brook Universal controller x2
  • Controls only to PC and consoles
  • Requires re-wiring of the Vewlix's controls
  • Video and audio* are directly connected to the cabinet
J-PAC
  • Video & controls to PC
  • Leaves Jamma setup intact
  • Audio* directly connected to the cabinet
Unknown 3rd party Jamma to PC board (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172363834029? ... EBIDX%3AIT)
  • Controls, video and audio to PC
  • Leaves Jamma setup intact
  • Has volume control
  • I've had no luck finding any info or opinions on this, anyone here know if it's any good lag wise?
*I'm not sure what, if any, audio input options are present on this clone yet. It might require an amp and rewiring the speakers directly.

I'd also like to upgrade the 1366x768 monitor to 1080p (for SFV), but other than Taito's overpriced effort, I've not had much luck finding info on a modern option that might fit. I think either a commercial display or a PC monitor would probably be best from a 'no input faff' point of view, though the PC monitor might also trump the commercial display for response rates?

If I had found a UK or EU distributor with real Vewlixes, I might have been tempted, but it seems like the clone is the most realistic option for me at the moment.

I also looked into these modified clones (both are 1080p displays):
  • Xtreme Gaming Wizard (Highway Entertainment's modified clone with no 'tate'. Otherwise awesome features, but costs £3k plus heavy shipping fees and customs on top)
  • Neo Legend's 'Vizion' (well presented, has 'tate, but also costs around £3k plus shipping)
I tried contacting Shadaloo, but had no response :shifty:
I also looked into the costs of getting a Vewlix Dia imported via HE and it was crazy pricey (£4k+) :(
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Re: Vewlix Connectivity & Monitor options

Post by Kwoken »

Oh, and I also looked up USB hubs, as I quite liked how some have modified their cabinets to have the mic and headphone ports accessible. Xystec seem to be the maker of the ones Neo Legend uses:
http://www.xystec.info/Tisch-Kabeldose- ... -919.shtml

There's various models, in 60mm and 80mm diameters. Can anyone confirm the top panel dimensions toward the rear of the CP please? I was thinking of installing one of these into the space to the right of what is the Nesica gizmo on the Vewlix Dia.

I think it looks quite smart installed into the panel alongside a volume control:
http://www.neo-legend.com/home-vizion
mattsoft
Please Continue...

Post by mattsoft »

I have a Taito Vewlix (not a clone) so please keep that in mind with my comments...

Real Taito Vewlix machines have the controls wired into the JVS board, which resides in the front panel. The controls are connected through a loom that has JST connectors. To keep a Taito cabinet stock, the J-PAC allows you to connect the JVS to your PC (or PS3). I have this setup with a PS3 and it works really well. There is very little lag (none that I notice), and it just works.

The Chinese Vewlix clones, from what I have seen (I also have a Chinese Vewlix clone front panel wired for " JAMMA" laying around as a rainy day project), have a wire harness that terminates in JST connectors that appear to be compatible with the original Taito JVS board -- they do not have a JAMMA edge/pin connector -- at least not mine. I don't know if the clone JST connectors work with the JVS board -- I haven't crossed my fingers, plugged it in, and turned on the power. The clones do NOT have a JVS board in them, so the J-PAC does you no good. In this instance, you could either (a) source a JVS board and J-PAC, or (b) simply get a Brooks universal fighting board and either make a harness that terminates in wires that you connect to the posts on the Brooks, or just cut off the JST connectors from your control loom. Option (b) would obviously cost a lot less than option (a).

As for AV, the clones, like the original, will have some sort of audio amp with wither a mini-stereo plug or stereo RCA jacks, and a LCD display with VGA, DVI, or HDMI input. You simply plug your PC or console into those.

I haven't pimped my cab and put any sort of USB hubs into the control panel -- I just have a 4-port Anker USB hub in the cab and open the door when I need to plug something in (rarely).

IMHO, if you really want to pimp your cab, go for a clone -- they are cheaper. If you want authenticity and to more stock, go for a real Vewlix. The Chinese clone front panel I have is pretty well made and almost indistinguishable from the real thing. It does have more rust on it (even though it's brand new), so they must be using substandard parts or process to fabricate.
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Thanks for the comments Mattsoft, much appreciated!

As this will be 'my first cab' in a long time, I'm still getting up to speed with the various terms and setups. I used to have an old stand up arcade cab in the 90s, but that was Jamma and it just 'worked' with whatever Jamma boards I got my hands on.

I think part of my problem with finding info on this stuff is that the Chinese clones appear to be very variable in their setups. Some support monitor rotation, others have 1080p monitors, and their 'guts' seem pretty random. As a father of two, I'm not hugely keen on the eye gouging potential of the feet screws that come up through the stands at the front either! :wtf:

It seems like finding an actual Vewlix in the UK or even a European supplier is pretty tricky <shrugs> I like the idea of pimping it out some as I'm sure the headphone socket will find some use as the cab will be in the house rather than out in a converted garage (which we have, but it's been converted into a home cinema rather than an arcade :))

In his ad, Mo has the clone running with one of those multi-game carts in it. I think it's 'King of the Air', would that help prove it has a Jamma interface in it? Would you recommend the Brooks boards over the 'all-in-one' Jamma even if it did have a Jamma interface?
Last edited by Kwoken on October 28th, 2016, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsoft
Please Continue...

Post by mattsoft »

I don't know if having a JAMMA multi-cart running in the clone would prove anything. It's pretty easy to buy or build a loom that accepts a JAMMA edge connector (like on those multi-carts) and wire it into the buttons. You could always ask the seller to open up the front panel a snap a pic of the guts. I think you're right about these clones being highly variable, so photographic evidence may be your best bet. The other option is to buy one, and then figure it out as you go. If you get a clone, I'm pretty sure you won't get any kind of JVS board. So, you're safe with a Brooks board. Then you just have to wire it up -- but that is easy, it's all published on the internet, plus the Brooks board has screw terminals so their's no soldering or anything. Then you just plug the Brooks into your PC via USB. Really slick.

BTW, my Chinese clone front panel came from HE in Australia. So their clones do have the JST plugs on the control loom. Unfortunately, it got smashed in shipping and I'm waiting for a replacement, so I haven't checked compatibility with JVS yet.

Some of those clones do come with 1080p monitors, so if you're after higher res, that would be good. They might be more reflective or glossy than the stock screens, and I don't know about lag. The panel in the Taitos are lower res (1336x768 I believe) but they look pretty damn good to me.

BTW, my Vewlix has those feet screws too (it's common in all models). I took them out and put caps over the holes. The cabinet pushed up against a wall is amazingly stable (doesn't roll around) without them.

Having a headphone jack, volume control, and even power on the control panel would be helpful. I have to open up a door on the cab every time i power on/off, change volume, etc...
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Well, just sent my order in. Hopefully I'll find out in a week or two :awe:
mattsoft
Please Continue...

Post by mattsoft »

Woo-hoo, congrats! Post pics when the cab comes in!
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Hmm, I'm thinking it'd be nice to have something ordered so I can test it when it arrives. Can you tell if it's Jamma from any of the internal photos Mo has posted?

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's a jamma connector connected to the Pandora multigame. However, video is from the VGA connector, so the jamma connector isn't necessarily wired for video.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

where is the amp ? :eh:
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Nice to hear the Jamma connection is there I guess. I don't mind hooking it directly via VGA to the monitor, but I'm managing my expectations as it doesn't even have a DVI port :eh:

Mo said it doesn't have an amp, so audio has to go via the Jamma board I guess? Perhaps I'd be best off getting one of these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172363834029? ... EBIDX%3AIT

It'd provide an audio input and some kind of volume control (though I can't imagine the on board 'amp' being up to much).

If mono isn't cutting it, I think I'd have to re-wire the speakers directly to a dedicated amp.
mattsoft
Please Continue...

Post by mattsoft »

Yeah, that looks like a JAMMA loom coming off of the Pandora. Presumably that goes directly to the control panel.

So yeah, VGA is separate and direct to the monitor. Audio maybe coming over the JAMMA, but...uhhh, there needs to be an amp if yer gonna have audio. I assume the cab has speakers? The Vewlix has a 4 speaker setup and a stereo amp to drive them. Maybe there's an amp buried below somewhere?
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

So this cab is not jvs ready ? :wtf:
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

It has speakers, or at least it looks like it does :shifty:

And yeah, no JVS :(
Though I wasn't really aiming to hook up much more than a PC/Console to it. Any actual arcade functionality is a bonus. I had a quick search for a JVS board, but I didn't see any for sale and I guess retrofitting it wouldn't be trivial anyway?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

mattsoft wrote:but...uhhh, there needs to be an amp if yer gonna have audio. I assume the cab has speakers?
The multigame outputs amplified audio like every other jamma board. Jamma is wired straight to the speakers.
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Hmm, not much said about the Jamma > PC board. I did manage to find another seller, but still very little info on it:
http://www.hollandcomputers.com/store/p ... p10642.htm

If they'll ship it out here I figure it'll be worth a punt at that price.
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Cab has arrived =)

I’ve been working on cleaning it up and getting it up and running while waiting on the Jamma to USB board.

First off, I think it looks great for the most part. It pretty much looks brand new, but there was some odd bits n bobs once I opened it up.

While it was advertised as VGA only, the monitor actually has DVI input, so that’s a nice surprise. I plugged a PC in and it looks great! (I haven’t tested the DVI port yet, but VGA is fine for now until I get the lead I need as the laptop only has VGA, DP and HDMI out).

Here’s my general notes on it so far:
  • The wiring on the 2p buttons needed fixing*
  • There’s some minor bubbling in the paintwork in a couple of spots
  • There are air bubbles in the control panel top sticker =( I made a small incision and managed to squeeze the biggest one out
  • There’s some nasty grime/smears behind the glass, I’m looking into how to access the monitor to clean it out
  • While the majority of the metalwork looks great, there’s some rust in the chamber below the coin box (weird)
  • Some of the interior screws and bolts used are a bit naff and rusty (Wtf? Why cheap out on the screws and bolts?)
  • The screws holding the rear panel on the control deck were especially cheap n nasty and one threaded as soon as I tried to loosen it. I had to drill it out before I was able to access the interior in order to attach it to the main cabinet
  • Some surface mould on the MDF pieces inside, this cleaned off fine =)
  • Power/Interface box; I'm hoping the little rotator there is a volume control:
  • Rear fan array looks different to the other Vewlix clones I've seen online, two large exhaust fans up top and one small fan down by the power socket:
  • Upper fans are also super noisy, think I'll be replacing these...

*The 2P controls was wired up incorrectly. They hadn’t bothered to hook up the ground to the last button because there wasn’t enough wire to stretch to the 2p start button. I split it and spliced/soldered in another bit of wire and fixed it all up. It ‘should’ work, but I won’t know 100% until I get my Jamma to PC USB board. On the bright side, it's quite tidy in there.
On a related note: Hurrah for Youtube and soldering tutorials.

Things still to test:
  • Jamma interface
  • Coin mechanism
  • Controls
  • Speakers
Mame and Ultra Streety IV look great on it and overall I’m really happy with it!

Couple of questions:
  • Colour saturation/brightness looks slightly overcooked, anyone know if there’s any way to adjust the monitor’s settings on these clones?
  • There’s a small white connector in the bottom of the cab, 5 wires going into it. Any idea what this is for? (see attached) Or what it could be used for? (I.e. Maybe I could hook in an LED light strip?)
  • The exhaust fans look like standard 120mm PC fans, but it uses the Asian 3 pin connectors (sometimes called JST?). There's only the 2 wires daisy-chained for the 2 fans, but it's a bit of a pain that they're non-standard. I had a look around, but adaptors don't seem to be common. I could cut and solder the wires I suppose, I don't know how I'd go about wiring up the standard PC connectors.
Next on the shopping list:
  • Xystec 60mm USB/audio/mic hub (Now I've got the cab, I can see the smaller 60mm hub will sit nicer in the panel)
  • Holesaw bit
  • Replacement 120mm (quiet) exhaust fans
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Kwoken wrote:[*]Power/Interface box; I'm hoping the little rotator there is a volume control:
That's for adjusting 5V.
[*]There’s a small white connector in the bottom of the cab, 5 wires going into it. Any idea what this is for? (see attached) Or what it could be used for? (I.e. Maybe I could hook in an LED light strip?)
That's the video output from the jamma harness. Effectively you have Red, Green, Blue, Sync and Ground lines. However, this cannot be connected to the LCD you have.
Kwoken
Please Continue...

Post by Kwoken »

Thanks Nem.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

thx for the pictures, first time i see a chinese vewlix like this.

any chance you can open the back cover of the the vewlix and check what screen is inside ? LG or Samsung ? Would also love to see a picture of the monitor remote board.

I take it, it is a 1080p Screen ?