Paint, sand, polish, wax...

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Paint, sand, polish, wax...

Post by zumbito »

Hi,

what would be the right approach to rejuvenate a Blast or an Astro City fiberglass and plastic parts? I think sanding and painting will kill the shine and texture, but what about polishing or waxing, would that help or this material doesn´t admit it?
tzakiel

Re: Paint, sand, polish, wax...

Post by tzakiel »

I found this because I have the same question about Blast City specifically. I have heard that novus 123 plastic polish can help the marquee area and possibly screen coating if scratched. For the fiberglass body cleaning with simple green/magic eraser and touching up with white nail polish (what color?) can work. For control panel I was warned not to use magic erasers but to use simple green type of cleaner instead (once all hardware removed)

Does anyone know what is the best nail polish or compound to retouch the fiberglass body if it's chipped to the black?
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

tzakiel wrote:I found this because I have the same question about Blast City specifically. I have heard that novus 123 plastic polish can help the marquee area and possibly screen coating if scratched. For the fiberglass body cleaning with simple green/magic eraser and touching up with white nail polish (what color?) can work. For control panel I was warned not to use magic erasers but to use simple green type of cleaner instead (once all hardware removed)

Does anyone know what is the best nail polish or compound to retouch the fiberglass body if it's chipped to the black?

Why no magic eraser in the CP?
Aurich

Post by Aurich »

zumbito wrote:
tzakiel wrote:I found this because I have the same question about Blast City specifically. I have heard that novus 123 plastic polish can help the marquee area and possibly screen coating if scratched. For the fiberglass body cleaning with simple green/magic eraser and touching up with white nail polish (what color?) can work. For control panel I was warned not to use magic erasers but to use simple green type of cleaner instead (once all hardware removed)

Because magic eraser is an abrasive, it's basically fine sandpaper. You should really only use it on something where wearing away the top surface will reveal a clean substrate.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Aurich wrote:
zumbito wrote:

Because magic eraser is an abrasive, it's basically fine sandpaper. You should really only use it on something where wearing away the top surface will reveal a clean substrate.
I know it is an abrasive, but what is the difference between CP and rest of plastic parts?
Aurich

Post by Aurich »

zumbito wrote:I know it is an abrasive, but what is the difference between CP and rest of plastic parts?
I assumed he meant the actual control panel. If you mean the plastic surround that the control panel drops into then go for it, I've used Magic Eraser on that no problem.
tzakiel

Post by tzakiel »

Anyone know what type or color white paint matches an (aged) blast enamel?
Sumez
Initials: SMZ

Post by Sumez »

Novus 1/2/3 does wonders on the black plastic marquee. Mine was ridicolously cracked all across, and I managed to touch it up perfectly using only 1 and 2 that I already had lying around for pinball reasons.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Aurich wrote:
zumbito wrote:I know it is an abrasive, but what is the difference between CP and rest of plastic parts?
I assumed he meant the actual control panel. If you mean the plastic surround that the control panel drops into then go for it, I've used Magic Eraser on that no problem.
Yeah, meant the plastic. My bad.