Cab Spraying

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Cab Spraying

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Hi,

Well after 6+ years in the garage :oops: , I finally have the time & drive to sort my 2 mushiking cabinets.
Originally I was thinking about getting them blasted to bare metal, then sprayed or powder-coated white, but the cost of getting this done over here is :-o

So I've decided to keep the cabs as is, and just focus on the internals. I've already converted one to JAMMA, and the other is JVS with the option to put the mushiking cardware stuff back in, and then some funky wiring to make them a VS setup.

Anyway, enough waffle, onto the questions.

The white plastic for the CP holder and monitor surround is very yellow. Do I spend the time with Novus, or sod it and just re-spray in white? There is a metal plate at the front which is brilliant white, so I'm tempted towards the spray route so I can coat this as well and get it to match better.

Also I got a load of 1L6B panels CNC'd about 8 years ago and, well, they're nicely covered in a layer of rust. I'm going to sand them down then spray in that rust-conversion paint then respray them up. 2 questions here:

1) Do I have to prime after the rust-coat stuff? Don't care if I do, just so I buy the primer at the same time.
2) What colour should I spray the panels? Stay with the same white as the plastic surround or go black?

Another plan for the future will be to get some custom artwork done for some of the panels with game-specific controllers (Rotary sticks for Ikari Warriors, Spinners for Arkanoid etc...) so I want to ensure the base colour won't show through for that.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
John
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Re: Cab Spraying

Post by Flinnster »

The white plastic for the CP holder and monitor surround is very yellow. Do I spend the time with Novus, or sod it and just re-spray in white? There is a metal plate at the front which is brilliant white, so I'm tempted towards the spray route so I can coat this as well and get it to match better.
These come out well when given the 'retrobrite' treatment - basically hair peroxide for blonding, wrapped in clingfilm + exposed to a load of sunlight. I have 2 of these to do, but they wont get done here in the UK until next spring at the earliest - at least you're in the right hemisphere for doing it at this time of year! ;)
Also I got a load of 1L6B panels CNC'd about 8 years ago and, well, they're nicely covered in a layer of rust. I'm going to sand them down then spray in that rust-conversion paint then respray them up. 2 questions here:
If you have any spare, I may be interested. Looking for the metal CPs myself - I have one cab with plastic / acrylic which is functioning ok, and a dead one with just a transparent plexi top sheet, the metal support being snaffled up by the previous owner.
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

I decided to spray in the end. Some of the plastic was a bit rough in places so I used some filler & wet& dry to get it smooth.

My spray-painting skills leave a lot to be desired :awe: so this is a WIP. I was going to prime then spray, but the all-in-one stuff is cheaper so I'm using that as the primer, sanding down & then using as top-coat.

For the panels, I have loads of spares. I had to do a run of 25, gave AndyGeezer 1 and then left the country before the mini-cab conversions all started. :awe:

I was worried that they'd rusted to ****, but it turns out it was just surface, so I sanded it all down, then gave them a coat of crust (or a local equivalent) then primed with basic matt white primer.

More that happy to part with some, but they're reasonably heavy and I think P&P will be a killer. If you can wait until June/July next year, then I'm back in the UK so can bung some in the suitcase & post locally. If you're interested now, I can weigh up & see what the pricing is likely to be.
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

Hey, only just seen this. Definitely interested so let me know what flavours you have, rusted or not ;)
(Just re-read, if they are all the same 1L6B's that's cool. Would just need to know how yours have the mounting areas for the joystick arranged :)

I know of one other guy who is looking for a CP too, so might be able to combine a package up.
However, we all play the long game on these restores so it may well be that next summer would be fine! I'm already doing various bits with card and (eek!) wood CPs.

Also.... I just re-read your stuff up above a little better and noticed.. "some funky wiring to make them a VS setup."

I have two mini-Dino twins also.. both Jamma... so really interested to know how you did this! I'm guessing a VGA amp board that allows dual monitor outputs from one cab to the other, then pretty much disabling the switching PSU in cab #2, and taking all power/ground for controls on that 2nd cab from the first via a vs cable.
So cab #2 becomes really just a slave with the ISO supply just driving the monitor.
Last edited by Flinnster on November 6th, 2016, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

Congrats on the work on the plastic surround stuff too. I have one that is brutally yellow (think Amiga 500 plastic nowdays), and the other that's not too bad. Both have a few scrapes and dinks here and there, but not bad enough to need filler, so I may try the novus route and then do the retrobrite as the finishing pass.
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

Looks like I may be interested in 3x of your CP spares :D
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

I'll try grab some photos this week of the CP's.

The panel is the exact shape of the original mushi-king panel, and the mounting holes are in the same place. The layout of the sticks and buttons (and spacing) is the same as the 1P side of a 2L12B standard Sega panel (the long ones like on a Naomi Uni cab).

Layout is (from left to right) Stick, Buttons, Start Button.

I got them made with mounting bolts for Sanwa sticks, and there's a threaded earth bolt as well.

As for the "VS" cabling, I'm still working out what to do. I'd still like to have the option of the slave cab still being usable (JVS or JAMMA) by itself so I can have a vert & hori cab setup at the same time.

I'm trying to find out if its possible to daisy-chain JVS I/Os so I can just use a USB to connect them (but I think this is wishful thinking!)
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Layout sounds totally perfect, and stud placement for Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y or JLF-TP-8YT is perfect yeah. Nice one on the earth connection too :)

For the VS stuff, seems like we are both of the same mindset. My original wish was to have a vertical and horizontal next to eachother, both with 2 player CPs.
That looks like it's not going to fly really, due to how cramped the size of everything is.
Paulie suggested that I make a load of panels so I can swap them as required, connecting using chunky Astro cab style connectors under the CP.
So that's where I'm heading currently, getting 2x 1L6B panels, and a single 2L8B sorted that I can swap into either cab if needed.
Here's my latest on that 2 player panel:
My 2pl layout.jpg
As for the vertical monitor.. one for a later date I think. I'll go with 2x horizontals for now.
FrancoB did this amazing monitor mod, but I've not seen one finished:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1371408
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Sorry for the delay, busy with work...

Here is a (really ****) photo of the panels

Sorry it's so **** massive!

Hole on the left is for a Sanwa stick (no mounting panel required) and then the 6 30mm button holes, and a final 24mm for start.
Top panel is the back-end, where you can just about make out the 2 stick bolts and the earth bolt at the bottom. I haven't removed the protective tape from them yet as I need to give it another coat of primer.

I plan to build a few different panels all using AMP-UP 12 pin connectors so I can just plug & play into the Mushi-cab. I rewired the mushi control panel connector so it uses the standard Naomi pinout, so I can use some of my spare looms, as I hate crimping & soldering the UP pins :awe:

I thought about a 2P panel, but as I have no friends, I end up playing with myself (a hobby I've had for as long as I remember :awe:). Seriously it's too cramped for me to get 2 people round the cab, so I want to have 2 1P units linked in some way that it's simple to do, but also so that each cab can be used individually.

It was Franco's mod that got me inspired, and I have had a brief chat with him about it. I'm going a slightly different route, but still working it out as I'm using the stock monitor, so I need to modify the top lid somehow.

If I get my **** in gear, I'll start a thread with my progress (if anyone's actually bothered) if I ever make any.
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

They look great, and I'd be interested of course. Same plans of course here.. 2 player link up, and to do the swappable CP's once I have the connectors and relevant crimp bits for all that stuff :thumbupright: :wink:
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

As for no friends, when the hell are mame going to work out how to do proper link-up over the internet eh :lol:
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Flinnster wrote:They look great, and I'd be interested of course. Same plans of course here.. 2 player link up, and to do the swappable CP's once I have the connectors and relevant crimp bits for all that stuff :thumbupright: :wink:
If you need AMP UP connectors, I can probably help you out :awe: I have a shedload of 10 & 12 pin (Male & Female brand new with new pins) plus a load of assorted used connectors.
The Mushiking's have an 18-pin connector mounted to the chassis under the CP - what is good is you can slam a 12-pin Sega Loom (with appropriate re-wiring) straight in there, so you don't need to try source the 18-pin ones.
ebinsugewa
Please Continue...
eBay: ebinsugewa
Initials: BRE

Post by ebinsugewa »

Flinnster wrote:As for no friends, when the hell are mame going to work out how to do proper link-up over the internet eh :lol:
Mamehub and Fightcade to name a few.
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

dj_johnnyg wrote: If you need AMP UP connectors, I can probably help you out :awe: I have a shedload of 10 & 12 pin (Male & Female brand new with new pins) plus a load of assorted used connectors.
The Mushiking's have an 18-pin connector mounted to the chassis under the CP - what is good is you can slam a 12-pin Sega Loom (with appropriate re-wiring) straight in there, so you don't need to try source the 18-pin ones.
You may be a lifesaver there yeah! One of my cabs has the metal plate for clipping AMP UP / ST YL and JST VL connectors. I just haven't got round to searching for availability on them in the just UK yet. Not sure if they are another candy-cab part that's easier to source from Asia than here in Europe!

Here's a pic of the inside of Dino No1 CP:
Flinnster
Please Continue...

Post by Flinnster »

ebinsugewa wrote: Mamehub and Fightcade to name a few.
Many thanks! :awe: I had never heard of either! :)