Just got my first candy (Blast City), could use some help!

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
HAN
Please Continue...
eBay: sega-boy123
Initials: HAN

Just got my first candy (Blast City), could use some help!

Post by HAN »

I just took delivery of an awesome Blast City cabinet, and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all that goes into both making it look nice and making it function properly for me.

My only pcb I have (for now :-D ), Primal Rage is currently in the cabinet. The controls appear to be functioning fine, but there is no sound. This is not due to the cabinet being faulty, but because this Primal Rage pcb does not have Jamma sound, because it came from a dedicated cabinet that had a weird sound setup. The picture is nice and bright, from what I can tell.

I am primarily going to be playing mostly older Jamma PCB's on it, and would also like to connect a PC to it for MAME. Given those 2 needs, I was told to get a JVS-PAC for the cabinet, to both interface the PC and keep all the original wiring intact to play Jamma games.

The connector coming off the main I/O board, appears to be Jamma only...is there any way to get the JVS-PAC to work in the cabinet currently, or is the J-Pac a better way to go at this point? The seller has told me he may be able to get me a 001 loom, but based on the information I've been seeing, the JVS-PAC would still not have a way to connect to that.

Also, can anyone offer any advice or Is there a thread someone can point me towards for cleaning this cabinet thoroughly? Mainly I would like to know what is safe to use on both the plastic (like the control panel, monitor bezel and sides) and painted parts like the coin/service doors.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Check out my YouTube channel for arcade and console 1cc's and random arcade happenings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Tftw ... 6BsgvFBWoQ
majors

Re: Just got my first candy (Blast City), could use some hel

Post by majors »

Hmmm...Chi-town+Blast+recent...sounds like a Windy sale. If you looking for JVS, he has two System246 I/O's FS: that would (should?) give you JVS support for stuff like Naomi. For cleaning, I use simple windex and goo gone...lot's of elbow grease. I do not bother with paint touchups since I drag my cabs out monthly for travel and they'd just get scratched up again.
HAN wrote:... and would also like to connect a PC to it for MAME.
Dead to me. (No really, I have no exp on MAMEing out a cab)
Majors -=- Wedoca '18
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

HAN wrote:I just took delivery of an awesome Blast City cabinet, and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all that goes into both making it look nice and making it function properly for me.
welcome aboard ! :) start by reading the faqs and wiring guide. http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City"
but there is no sound.

yeah primal rage is going to require extra work to get the sound working.
1) the blast doesn't supply -5v, needed for the audio board. you could use a negatron pass-through adapter. Xian Xi and FrancoB sell them.
2) the speaker are normally connected to the audio board. not via the jamma harness, you'd need to make a custom sound header adapter

I am primarily going to be playing mostly older Jamma PCB's on it, and would also like to connect a PC to it for MAME. Given those 2 needs, I was told to get a JVS-PAC for the cabinet, to both interface the PC and keep all the original wiring intact to play Jamma games.
you want a J-PAC, not JVS-PAC ( that's for JVS cabinets ). also, looking at your loom, you'll want to swap it out for a Jamma/JVS loom ( 001 ) so you have stereo hookups. important for running a PC. See my 2 rigs below, one uses a j-pac, the other an i-pac. the j-pac is worth the etxra $ because you don't have to build a fingerboard loom... I have some spare 001 looms left if Chris can't find you one. around 60$ shipped.

HAN
Please Continue...

Post by HAN »

majors wrote:Hmmm...Chi-town+Blast+recent...sounds like a Windy sale. If you looking for JVS, he has two System246 I/O's FS: that would (should?) give you JVS support for stuff like Naomi. For cleaning, I use simple windex and goo gone...lot's of elbow grease. I do not bother with paint touchups since I drag my cabs out monthly for travel and they'd just get scratched up again.
HAN wrote:... and would also like to connect a PC to it for MAME.
Dead to me. (No really, I have no exp on MAMEing out a cab)
Yeah, got it from Chris at Windy. I think I've got a better handle on stuff, thanks for all the help!

A question that I had if anyone knows...I had to switch the dips on the monitor over to get the VGA input to function properly on the Nanao monitor; My question is do I have to switch them back every time I want to run a PCB and have the video be sent to the monitor over jamma?

Thanks in advance!
Check out my YouTube channel for arcade and console 1cc's and random arcade happenings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Tftw ... 6BsgvFBWoQ
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

HAN wrote:
majors wrote: A question that I had if anyone knows...I had to switch the dips on the monitor over to get the VGA input to function properly on the Nanao monitor; My question is do I have to switch them back every time I want to run a PCB and have the video be sent to the monitor over jamma?
short answer: yes, you don't have the auto-sync model.

real answer: depends. you can feed a CGA signal over the DB-15 connector and VGA over the RGBS pins.

so it's not about which connector you use, but the signal you feed the monitor.
HAN
Please Continue...

Post by HAN »

codecrank wrote:
HAN wrote:
majors wrote: A question that I had if anyone knows...I had to switch the dips on the monitor over to get the VGA input to function properly on the Nanao monitor; My question is do I have to switch them back every time I want to run a PCB and have the video be sent to the monitor over jamma?
short answer: yes, you don't have the auto-sync model.

real answer: depends. you can feed a CGA signal over the DB-15 connector and VGA over the RGBS pins.

so it's not about which connector you use, but the signal you feed the monitor.

Got it...so if I have my jamma video signal go through something like this:

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga-eg ... -8220.html"

then I'd be able to leave the dips as is? Or is that going to degrade the quality or add input lag?
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

Hi HAN, congrats on the cab! I don’t use mame so I can’t help ya there, but I have fully disassembled and cleaned a pair of blasts. If you have any specific questions about taking it apart, ask away.

Here’s the albums to help inspire you :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42309615@ ... 6454321784
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42309615@ ... 6454618753
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

HAN wrote:
codecrank wrote:
HAN wrote: Got it...so if I have my jamma video signal go through something like this:

then I'd be able to leave the dips as is? Or is that going to degrade the quality or add input lag?
when you plug in a jamma board, you set the dip to 15k, when you use a pc ( set res to VGA ) set the dips to 31khz. I put the monitor remote board inside my panel for easy dip access.

don;'t use those converter boards... there's no need to.
HAN
Please Continue...

Re: Just got my first candy (Blast City), could use some help!

Post by HAN »

Thanks, that's a great idea moving the monitor board inside the control panel! I've made some progress with cleaning and getting closer to my ideal MAME setup; Chris at windy gaming hooked me up with a 001 loom so I now have audio being sent to the rca jacks. Just got a GroovyMAME compatible video card in the mail I have to install soon...
HAN
Please Continue...

Post by HAN »

I've been doing more cleaning and trying to get the cabinet looking a little better...anyone have any recommendations for removing these scratches on the monitor bezel? (lower right corner of the bezel)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

People have pretty good results with Novus 1,2,3 on bezels.

Go for the 8oz bottles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novus-Plastic-P ... b1&vxp=mtr
haystax
Please Continue...

Post by haystax »

codecrank wrote:
HAN wrote:I just took delivery of an awesome Blast City cabinet, and I'm a bit overwhelmed at all that goes into both making it look nice and making it function properly for me.
welcome aboard ! :) start by reading the faqs and wiring guide. http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City"
but there is no sound.

yeah primal rage is going to require extra work to get the sound working.
1) the blast doesn't supply -5v, needed for the audio board. you could use a negatron pass-through adapter. Xian Xi and FrancoB sell them.
2) the speaker are normally connected to the audio board. not via the jamma harness, you'd need to make a custom sound header adapter

you want a J-PAC, not JVS-PAC ( that's for JVS cabinets ). also, looking at your loom, you'll want to swap it out for a Jamma/JVS loom ( 001 ) so you have stereo hookups. important for running a PC. See my 2 rigs below, one uses a j-pac, the other an i-pac. the j-pac is worth the etxra $ because you don't have to build a fingerboard loom... I have some spare 001 looms left if Chris can't find you one. around 60$ shipped.

How do you switch the pc mobo on and off when you have then inside the cab? I'm curious because I'm looking to do exactly the same thing in my Blast and currently the pc is external.
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

And use Groovymame for the best emulated game experience.
codecrank
Please Continue...

Post by codecrank »

haystax wrote: How do you switch the pc mobo on and off when you have then inside the cab? I'm curious because I'm looking to do exactly the same thing in my Blast and currently the pc is external.
look at the pic of my control panel above, see the extra small push button ? that goes to the power button pins on the mobo :D
Tokyobuffoon
Please Continue...
eBay: Thakid845
Initials: JDW

Post by Tokyobuffoon »

when you plug in a jamma board, you set the dip to 15k, when you use a pc ( set res to VGA ) set the dips to 31khz. I put the monitor remote board inside my panel for easy dip access.

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/1293 ... 2b1c_b.jpg[/
Where could I find a monitor remote board? I just got a blast city last month and am finally getting able to start cleaning it up and get all the stuff I need to get it to where I want it.