Drop-in AC Power Center

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
purplec

Re: Drop-in AC Power Center

Post by purplec »

Hi grantspain

Just wondering for a uk ac drop in power centre where would the isolation tansformer go, or is the sketch right in any way would the isolation transformer go just before the monitor. What spec isolation ransformer would you use.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn26 ... dropin.jpg

cheers
purplec
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

this is the exact thing,you can get it from suzo but other people should have it
http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/80200000.htm

the problem is that the autotransformer is not isolated from the primary to secondary winding and in theory a spike can cause problems to all areas i.e if the tube flashes over or a heavy duty mains surge

when we built cabs in the 80's/90's we used standard transformers but we rode our luck

always better to be safe than sorry

the isolation transformer would go directly in line between the monitor and the stepdown transformer and nothing else should be powered from the secondary winding

i will double check for you tomorrow if i am being a bit ott with the iso

although your u250 psu is shot you may find the ac side still running,if thats the case just buy a switcher or i am now getting confused with things :lol:
purplec

Post by purplec »

No your not confused, but between myself my brother and his mate we all have the same cab with the same internalls. Our fiends monitor or psu is acting up but its just good to know what is needed if the us250 is knackered to get the cab going again in relation to powering the degause coil and chassis. Its just good to know we can swap the power center into a diff cab if necessary to test. With your help i now know how to assemble the UK AC drop in centre. You have been a great help

Just on a side note I have a mate that has a fuzzy pic on his electrohome monitor basically cant get the pic to stabilise. I noticed there is a H sync and a V sync but only one of them is connected to the jamma synce. Should the H sync and a V sync be twisted together and then connected to the jamma sync would this cause any probs. cheers

Cheers
Purplec
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yeah try linking the hor and vert sync,its certainly worth a go