Re: Dismantling a Blast City?

Post by ryosaebaa »

Great work , thanks so much for share it
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

WupWuh wrote:Image

I'm missing some bolts / screws on my cab and would actually like to replace all of them at some point with some new fresh ones. Any way someone could list out the actual part numbers as I know next to nothing about the many fasteners. Perhaps if that is too much, I'd love to know what the 2 long screws that hold down the CP are as my cab does not have any :(
Same here, I would like to have the nuts and bolts of a couple of Blast Cities replaced, but don´t know the exact specs of each one. Can anybody share?
xga

Post by xga »

Same here, I would like to have the nuts and bolts of a couple of Blast Cities replaced, but don´t know the exact specs of each one. Can anybody share?
The nuts and bolts specs should be in the Blast City parts manual - http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/f/fc ... s_List.pdf
alex2005
Please Continue...

Post by alex2005 »

The pictures are gone, any chance to get these back in the post? That would be really helpful :)
I am moving to a new place in two weeks time and I am afraid I do need to dismantle my blast, would love to practice before I move :D
Last edited by alex2005 on November 7th, 2015, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alex2005
Please Continue...

Post by alex2005 »

I would need to split the cab in two, which are the minimum parts I need to take off from it?
From my understanding there is a red bottom plate holding the front and back parts (see picture attached)

If I do the following:

1- Remove the PSU
2- Remove the red plate in the photograph attached (the bolts can all be removed from the outside I guess)
3- Remove the side bolts to split the cab in two parts

Would this work, or do I need to take out the monitor/speakers or any other parts as well?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

You'll need to take the monitor out or else it will all come falling down when you split the cab. Blast monitors are very easy to remove, just take of the bezel and disconnect the wires that should now be right in front of you on the monitor frame, take off the nuts and pull the big heavy b*stard out :awe:
alex2005
Please Continue...

Post by alex2005 »

Good to know, thanks a lot!

So basically this would then be:

1- Remove the PSU
2. Take out the bezel and monitor (bezel by pulling out the strip and monitor removing the 4 bolts in each corner). Detach the three wires in the picture below.
3- Remove the red plate on the bottom (screws can be removed easily from the outside by laying down the cabinet).
4- Remove the side bolts to split the cab in two parts

Is removing the PSU mandatory?
As for the monitor, the only wires I need to unplug are those in the photo, right?

I will give it a try in the next days just wanted to be sure before I try 8-)

Thanks a lot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

From the inspection panel in the back make sure no wire is connected to the side video input (on your right when you look at the chassis from the back).
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Double check from the back panel as said, but there shouldn't be any. You might find those wires are attached to an adhesive cable tie on the cab. The PSU can probably stay in, but it's a quick disconnect so it's really easy to take out and put back in. The connections just slot in then go to the internal I/O, so just remove the 4 screws in the back and slide it out.
alex2005
Please Continue...

Post by alex2005 »

great, thanks guys, much appreciated. No vga cable as my current setup uses jamma only ;)
Will try and report back how it went ;)
alex2005
Please Continue...

Post by alex2005 »

Finally I did it!
Since it was the first time, the screws were a bit hard to remove, particularly those on the red base.
I removed almost all screws in the base, the wheels and the back part of the marquee. Removed the monitor, and I could then split the cab in two removing the side screws.
That was a really good exercice, and took the chance to clean inside as well.
Now everything is ready to move out, hopefully I can take it in through the door, but in case I need it, I will dismantle it and reassemble at the destination :)
Eggers
Please Continue...
eBay: shiranuimai
Initials: BBC

Post by Eggers »

Hello. I haven't posted but just a few times. I lurk from time to time on these forums, though.

First of all, very cool guide. a hardy 5-year late thanks to Cageman for that. Despite the picture links not working anymore, i was able to follow it to get my newly aquired Blast cab somewhat taken apart. My door frame is narrow and i'm attempting to get the big ol thing into my bedroom, by splitting it in half.

So far i've got:
1) PSU taken out
2) control panel totally removed
3) marquee area hollowed out
4) monitor nuts and spring washers removed
5) 3 monitor plugs unplugged

So…… i think i just need to get the monitor removed.…… but i attempted myself, and it doesn't even budge. I am a weakling.…

I'd ideally like to lay the cab on it's back first, then take the monitor out that way…… but my apt. is super small and i have no space to do that…  and getting it back outside isn't possible either... getting it through my front door was a miracle to begin with. Getting it back out simply won't happen.

So, i'm going to have to take the monitor out with……
… ye olde fashioned upright monitor removal method.

So, i just have a couple questions:

1) are there any specific safety precautions i should take in order to reduce the risk of electrocution? I've been wearing rubber work gloves and running shoes with rubber soles so far. Some sites recommend discharging the monitor using a flathead screwdriver, alligator cable and some HV instruments before removing the monitor. Is that necessary?

2) i can't even do a single pullup. Do you think, if i got a reasonably strong friend over here, will we be able to physically remove the monitor?   I've also thought about using some kind of pulley system to get it out of there.……

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sorry for the wordy post,
And thanks in advance!!

- Brad
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

1) don't touch the anode cap or any high voltage areasy and you'll be fine

2) get someone stronger to help you. I've had the monitors in and out of my Astro city and net city on my own many times
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Yes, don't go discharging the monitor. There's absolutely no need for it. Trying to discharge it inside the cabinet is much more dangerous than removing it.

Most often the issue with removing the monitor on the Blast is that the bolts that hold onto the monitor have turned slightly. The bolts have a cut on one side and the monitor frame has a similar edge on the corresponding hole. What happens is that the bolts turn and press against the hole. You might need quite a bit of force to pull the monitor out. After you have it out, I suggest realigning the bolts to match the frame holes. There are nuts on the other side.

Removing the monitor in the Blast is more of a PITA than in an Astro or Net.
Eggers
Please Continue...

Post by Eggers »

DaveyD and nem thanks for the quick replies. You've set my mind at ease about the safety issue.

I was kind of thinking the same thing about discharging the monitor while its in the cab. Especially since the Ringwide that came installed in it and all the other internal boards and components are in there. Seems like those could get damaged if i attempted the discharge thing. So, glad to hear that isn't necessary.

And I'll definitely try to align those bolts like you said, nem.

Thanks again! :D

- Brad
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

You can loosed part of the monitor cage so that it has more wiggle room if the bolts are catching and it feels stuck. It's the screws next to the nuts you remove, pretty obvious, just don't loosen them too much.
Eggers
Please Continue...

Post by Eggers »

Thanks Chempop! I might give that a shot too. :D

I'll post again with my results once i finish moving this thing. ;)

- Brad
dgame
Please Continue...

Post by dgame »

EDIT: Phot$ucket ruined the pictures, I have them saved and will probably have to upload this guide again over multiple posts so the pictures will live on the
forum.
EDIT: THE MULTI-POST FIXED VERSION WITH PICTURES EMBEDDED IN THE FORUM STARTS HERE: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 60#p483343

I had downloaded the, now missing, pictures in Cageman's post so I uploaded and linked them in the re-post below:

Cageman's original post is here: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic. ... 49#p194650

" [Begin re-post]
Cageman Ok.. very picture-heavy post here. Let me know if I should reformat/change this.

To start, a picture of the important screws, bolts and nuts that hold everything together. I can go all technical (stating "m4x20", etc), but I think this makes it quite clear. I will be referring to these screws/bolts/nuts using the designated letter in between brackets; e.g. '(A)'
[img]nutsbolts.jpg[/img]

First, remove the Power supply by removing the 4 bolts (H). The PSU can be pulled straight out. It uses a connector inside the cab, which is a neat feature, imo.

Open up the CP, and pull on the two black tabs on the left and right to release the black monitor bezel:
[img]dscf0562a.jpg[/img]

The bezel will probably pop loose, and can be removed by pulling it towards you. On the top, it is held by two metal lips, so just pull the bezel free of the cab at the bottom, and then it'll just drop out.

Disconnect all wires connecting the monitor. On my Nanao MS2930, these are visible on the front of the monitor frame:
[img]dscf0569r.jpg[/img]

Next, remove the top half of the CP by disconnecting the wires and removing the screws (D) holding the CP hinge to the lower part of the CP. WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE LOWER CP PART AT THIS TIME! It also holds the lower monitor support bracket in place!
[img]dscf0575.jpg[/img]

Next, remove the marquee holder and marquee. It is held by two bolts (B) at the top. Disconnect the wiring from the lighting fixture (on the left side. One is the ground/earth wire, the other is power).
[img]dscf0576d.jpg[/img]

Stand behind the cab, and remove the metal monitor access panel (held by two bolts (C)) and the metal panel holding the lighting fixture (held by 7 screws ((A)).
[img]dscf0559dr.jpg[/img]

Now on to removing the doors :-).. The biggest one is easy, so two left ;-):

Remove the coin box door by opening the door and removing the two screws (J). Remove the door by holding it halfway open and, when standing in front of the cab, pulling it to the left. It is slotted in the cab on the right side.
[img]dscf0568z.jpg[/img]

Remove the coin door surround by removing the 6 screws (J). It will come straight out.
[img]dscf0566s.jpg[/img]

Remove the door holding the coin acceptor by disconnecting the coin switch and earth wire, and removing the 3 screws (A) holding the door to the cab.
[img]dscf0540x.jpg[/img]

Put the cab on it's back, monitor facing up:

Remove the four nuts and washers (O) at each corner
[img]dscf0558o.jpg[/img]

Now, get yourself a buddy (or squeeze a can of spinach open with one bare hand and swallow it in one big gulp :lol:), and lift the monitor out of the cab. Tip: since you will have removed the marquee holder and metal plate, you can actually stand IN the marquee area, making monitor removal (and installation) somewhat easier when you are doing this by yourself.

Turn the cab over, belly down:
[img]dscf0546q.jpg[/img]

remove all screws (E) holding the back half of the cab to both the front half and to the bottom. Beware: there are also 3 screws at the bottom of the coin box area:
[img]dscf0555g.jpg[/img]

Remove both wheels, held by 4 bolts and washers (G) each:
[img]dscf0542.jpg[/img]

The back half of the cab can now be lifted straight up with little to no resistance. If you feel any resistance, check if you really have removed all screws.

Put the cab in its normal, vertical position. It should now look similar to this:
[img]dscf0535b.jpg[/img]

Disconnect and remove both speakers, held by 4 screws (A):
[img]dscf0529c.jpg[/img]

Remove the metal bracket (to which the 'bottom' of the marquee area is attached) by removing two screws (A) at the top, and two bolts (C) at the back.
[img]dscf0552f.jpg[/img]

loosen the PSU connector and ground wires, held by 3 bolts (M)
[img]dscf0526l.jpg[/img]

Unscrew the connection PCB from the cab (you can keep everything connected if you like), held by 4 bolts (K)
[img]dscf0532c.jpg[/img]

Remove the lower half of the CP by removing the 6 bolts (F), and two screws (missing on first picture. It is right next to the coin slot on the picture below. There is another on the left side as well):
[img]dscf0524.jpg[/img]

Now, remove the lower monitor support bracket by removing the two screws (A) on the left and right side. You may have to pull a little to free it.
[img]dscf0531.jpg[/img]

The end is in sight.. ;-)

Remove three bolts (M) at the bottom front of the cab (these secure the kick plate):
[img]dscf0525vv.jpg[/img]

Once these screws are removed, the kick plate can be pulled straight towards you when sitting in front of the cab to remove it.

Now, get the cab on its belly again, and remove the bottom from the front half, again held by screws (E)

That's it! One Blast City in bits and pieces :-)
" [End re-post]

EDIT: THE MULTI-POST FIXED VERSION WITH PICTURES EMBEDDED IN THE FORUM STARTS HERE: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 60#p483343

yellow.PNG
Last edited by dgame on October 20th, 2017, 8:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
eBay: nofleabay

Post by 729 »

Resurrecting this thread but...

Does anyone have the ability to re-upload the dismantling pictures via. Imgur for easier access? I don't think people are able to access the photos due to Photobucket implementing that "upgrade" ordeal not too long ago and this information would very be viable. :-?
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

729 wrote:Resurrecting this thread but...

Does anyone have the ability to re-upload the dismantling pictures via. Imgur for easier access? I don't think people are able to access the photos due to Photobucket implementing that "upgrade" ordeal not too long ago and this information would very be viable. :-?
I am dismantling mine these days and would certainly have good use for the pics, but I've already done it once and it is not the hardest thing to do. At the moment I am pretty stuck with the back screws, and waiting for a pack of JIS drivers for help. When I get them I dont mind taking pics if you need them.