Help needed - Egret III broke down!

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
ChurchOfSolipsism
eBay: knowledge-is-power-arm-yoursel

Help needed - Egret III broke down!

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

So I was playing on my Egret III for an hour, suddenly the image starts darkening noticeably. After a minute or so, the image becomes blurry. After another couple of minutes, you can't even make out what game is playing; the screen is filled with many many thin colourful vertical stripes; then, the image width changes, the screen turns black, returns after a moment. At this point, I switch the Egret off (probably much too late); whenever I switch it on, there's no image.

Halp?
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Help needed - Egret III broke down!

Post by grantspain »

the description points towards flyback failing, whether the flyback failed because of something else on the chassis is difficult to say
getting a flyback for this will prove troublesome
ChurchOfSolipsism

Update: Switched the cab on; sound (from PGM game) comes on just like normal, but there's no picture. After some moments, there's a burnt smell, and right enough, there's a thin whisp of smoke rising from the chassis, from beneath the red thing in the middle of this picture:

http://i64.tinypic.com/xpu5fp.jpg

Goddammit, can't I just replace a capacitor or resistor or some ****? I'm ok at soldering...
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

underneath the red thing(polypropylene capacitor) are some more red things-possibly bad solder joint has caused one to cook
ChurchOfSolipsism

grantspain wrote:underneath the red thing(polypropylene capacitor) are some more red things-possibly bad solder joint has caused one to cook
And whatever cooked (probably easy to find out which one - the burnt on, right?) could be replaced, couldn't it?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

it should be obvious if you remove the chassis,when these caps go they tend to split open or burn-replacing it should be no issue
ChurchOfSolipsism

Excellent. After trying to find info on how other people dealt with this problem (looks like everybody just buys a new chassis) I got the impression that repairing a chassis is next to impossible. Found somebody on KLOV who sells replacement parts, so let's hope I can get this baby up and running again.