Ibara - PCB

Post your high scores here!
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Re: Ibara - PCB

Post by ninn »

Ship D has the advantage that you can catch medals that you missed. It is that fast.
Thats why it felt like an unfair advantage to me, and I refuse to use it.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

The mob has spoken. I'll try some more D.

At the moment I still find the standard ship noobishly easier because the bomb quickly clears a safe path in front of me.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

It actually says "Hadouken"! :awe:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Played this repeatedly for the last hour and my fingers are now killing me. I feel like I know what I'm doing more but my score average was much worse than when I last played it a few days ago. :( In about 20 goes I kept clearing level 1 with 300k-400k instead of the 500k-700k I was getting when I had even less of a clue what I was doing. :eh: I think ship D is making me do something differently but I'm not sure what. I suppose a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I'm now making a bit more effort for the medals and even managed to get them up to max at one point. Though I soon died of over excitement when they were jizzing out of a silo.

Anyway, I did manage to destroy the level 2 boss with 3 hadoukens. Died pretty quickly on stage 3 with a score 3,000 off from an extra life. :cry:

I eventually managed to improve my score from the other day, though only once.

crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Good going! :clap:

But, erm... you're going to have to post it back to me before you beat my pitiful high score.

Just kidding :whoopsie: ...beat away :fastlove:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

:lol:

That'd take some beating. :hinthint:

By the way, the bottom score that says 'cav' I take it that's not a default score.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

:hinthint:

It defaults to cav when you just skip the name entry so that was probably one I binned as a poor run :(
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I never bothered perfecting a scoring technique. Bombing sheds in such a difficult game just feels wrong to me so I played for survival, trying not to drop medals and had a lot of fun.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

To be honest that's pretty much what I'm doing.

I thought I'd try a bit of medal scabbing, but it's far too advanced for my standard. I didn't save 3 hadous for the level 2 boss by trading bombs for medals. Nice to know that there's that huge extra depth though.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Don't play for score yet and try not to hoard bombs to much.

Both push the rank up massively.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Hoarding bombs got me a glimpse of level 3.

When using ship D I found the regular bombs less useful to get out of trouble. They seem to need more precise placement and unless I was imagining it there seemed to be a delay (?). I didn't tend to use them as a panic button like I did with ship A.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Level 3 is the best level ever.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

You can play it with regular strategies in mind, shoot, dodge, bomb, medal, hadou bosses as need. It'll work just fine.
BUT YOU ARE MISSING THE ENTIRE APPEAL OF THE GAME
Here's the thing, the more you score, the more you can die. Scoring well = more deaths = easier game, and you will have more bombs, because every time you die you get a 1/2 hadou.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

The strategy sounds great, but at the moment I'm only getting to level 2 half of the time.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I may actually have access to my cabs again shortly, I'll probably rebuy this PCB again... :awe:

Joe, the best thing at the point you're at is to simply keep practicing. The reason you're struggling is because of Yagawa's genius idea to keep the rank through credits - meaning if you're playing terribly over a bunch of credits the game gets easier in general, but play a really intense credit and the next one will start off tough too (the crane turrets point blanking on L1 is an obvious sign of this).

The way the rank affects the game is what makes it so damn good.
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Post by Johnnychaos »

sounds like im at about the same point. Tried playing with D type and found I died a lot more and struggled to get past lvl1 but im getting used to it. If I ignore scoring and trying to get max medals I can sail through the first couple of levels ok. But usually die halfway through the second lvl boss.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

The important thing is I love it. I know I'll get a kick in the **** for this but I've never got into any vert shmup, so I've jumped in the deep end it seems.

Those crane turrets are sometimes a piece of ****, other times a nightmare.

The level 2 boss, I've got to a handful of times, and once just hadoued it to death so I still haven't experienced it that much. Once I actually managed to dodge and survive for a good couple of minutes - which feels great - but the stream of bullets just goes on and on. This is relentless.

Games are quick and it's so one-more-go-able. Just my type of thing. Why didn't I get into these years ago?
Chempop
Please Continue...

Post by Chempop »

You might be having trouble with D-type because both of it's side options sway all the time (only the rear can be fixed-aiming).

There are 2 buildings near the beginning of stage1 which you can up your medal's X3 on each if you bomb and simultaneously move straight up on top of them (it's worth learning). That combined with the X16 medal warehouses, you should be pretty close to maxing your medal in stage 1. Then bomb oil silos in stage 2 while you are on top of them for 100K each. 4 million at the end of stage 2 is not that crazy with a little practice.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

@chempop I've been watching that STG video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRmMvtAH0Q")

Learnt a few things for sure. One thing I wasn't quite clear on was the part about the difficulty in killing enemies above / below the insert coin.
Did you mean that if you (the player) are above that portion of the screen or the enemy and is it harder when the enemy is above or below?

Cheers,

Dave
Chempop
Please Continue...

Post by Chempop »

It's that enemies barely take damage when they are on the very top of the screen.