Ibara - PCB

Post your high scores here!
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Ibara - PCB

Post by pubjoe »

First go in about 2 months :oops: and got my best score yet.

1,38?k

I have my sights on that last place. :awe:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Nice one :thumbup: :awe:

Which ship are you using?
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

The one where you hold A+B (Type D?) The next few goes were all worse.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Type D's my favourite - I'm less hopeless with D than the others.
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

that is because D is so much faster iirc ... you can even outrun falling medals.

Man, I am missing that game the most... can't wait to start it up again, will go for highscore-hunting then. :awe:
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

D's got by far the best bomb too. I'm sure there's a link to the differences between the ship types earlier in the thread :)
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

And....only the back option is locked on D.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Type A the grazers choice.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I only managed to get to level 3 once and that was with Type A. Though I was really close with Type D when I got my best score the other day - went in to the level 2 boss with 3 lives. :palm:

To be honest it's the speed of D that's killing me. That and chasing medals.

---

Thanks for letting me keep it for so long crunchy. Putting it on and hearing the music again gave me a real appreciation for it. You know when it takes a while to realise how great something is? I love it too much to give back actually. :shifty: I think I'll have to buy my own at some point.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I find d too fast ,havent played it in ages :oops: ...back to not getting of level 1 again for me :lolno:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

It took years (and 3 PCBs) before I warmed to ibara.
jpj

Post by jpj »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Aaxu3BFGQ"

good medium-level replay which shows decent scoring without having to be a super-player
man9child
Please Continue...
Initials: PJG

Post by man9child »

Placeholder post in anticipation, I'm getting an Ibara board (will be my 2nd) and it's in transit as we speak. :)

Looked at my old highscore here from fall of 2012, 4.8 mil. I've been out of the game for a while, let's see if I can match that soon.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

**** all this medal ****. I just played two credits, intentionally avoided every medal, hoarded bombs and got deep into the 3rd level both goes. That's the second and third time I've ever seen level 3.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

But collecting medals and chaining's so satisfying :(

Just don't go beating my meagre score please.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

It is but it's so hard - and raises rank. I was jumping too far into the deep end. Almost every death was due to running round like a mad bomba.

If I get to level 4 after a few more goes I'll probably beat my **** shed bombing score anyway.

The medal thing does look fun but imo you have to be an expert at the game and an expert at the ranking system. I'm FAR from either.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Likewise, I'm far from being even a good intermediate. I've got the first level licked but as far as medals and scoring goes it all falls apart about half way through level 2 as I struggle with controlling the rank effectively.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

When I am trying to medal chain I **** it up ten times out of ten anyway. I'm nowhere near ready for that. Playing somewhat more 'normally' is helping me pay more attention to enemy/bullet patterns and power-ups. Basic stuff that I was completely missing while bombing and chasing medals.

I'm not good enough to worry much about suiciding but I think the way to go is lose a life immediately so you have one in stock, then lose the stock life as you near an extra each million points (I haven't got to 2mil yet anyway :oops: ). That, and dodging medals and beefy power ups makes the game so much easier for a beginner.

---

By the way, Level 3 is quite immense isn't it? Hados really start coming into play.
Chempop
Please Continue...
eBay: Weegzon
Initials: GLX

Post by Chempop »

Playing the game for score is very difficult - but makes the game easier. It is a paradox, but such is Ibara. Getting max medals by the end of stage one is key so you can bomb the silos in stage 2 for X16 10K medals each. The other purpose of dying is to get a 1/2 hadou, so the more deaths, the more hadous (which you will need trust me). I suppose flying around aimlessly avoiding crap and saving hadous for the tricky boss patterns works too ;)
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Yep.

Playing for score is interesting and very complex. At a few goes a week it'd take me years to learn. This is my first shmup I've really got into since R-Type (if that counts). :oops:

I feel ignoring all the good advice has given me a breakthrough in enjoyment. I'm appreciating just surviving a little further to see more of the game. It's not completely aimless, I'm quite active in avoiding score. :awe: Eventually I'll either get stuck or get bored then I'll try the medal thing again, and I'll hopefully be able to do a better job of it. It's great that the game offers such very deep gameplay with the score/rank paradox (and I've read a lot of the little tricks here and there), but for now the simplest way to manage rank seems to be not to score at all.

I've played another couple of credits and I'm getting to level 3 each time now (to the three side by side trains) and getting better at the level 2 boss without relying on hadous. My average score has gone up simply by surviving. I'm too **** to play it properly.