Sony ZN2 Region Switch

PCB problems and fixes
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Sony ZN2 Region Switch

Post by capcomguru »

I don't know if anyone even has/runs a ZN2 setup, but this bit of info that I discovered last night is pretty darn handy.

Apparently, it is extremely easy to switch the region on Sony ZN2 rom boards (assuming a the region you want exists and is dumped). Simply swapping the 27c4096 eprom (rom bank 4) with the appropriate region's data (found in the mame rom set) will change your game's region. Unlike other Capcom hardware of this era, there are no suicide related devices on board, so no worries of ruining it. There are protected PAL's, however I think they only deal with audio and graphics banks, not the program data.

Anyways, if you change rom #4 with different regions data, it will change the game's region. I was able to turn my SF EX2 Japanese and my Strider 2 Japanese into USA versions, with full english text. I'd imagine this works perfect for other games too!

On a side note, unlike the Japanese version, my USA Street Fighter EX2 has the bosses playable(!). I'm not sure if its related to the region swap, or if its because I enabled "regulation mode" in the test menu. Either way, 2 more playable fighters in a small roster makes a huge difference!

Enjoy!
-cG
laugh
Please Continue...
Re: Sony ZN2 Region Switch

Post by laugh »

That's cool. I wish there was an English version of TGM so that I can use this language switch trick.

As for the bosses being playable, it has nothing to do with the regulation setting, cuz that's the setting for red blood/white blood.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

Yeah I found out through MAWS (after I posted this) that there are character unlock codes. Odd that 2 of the 4 hidden guys activated when I switched regions.

BTW it saves the hidden players until you switch games.
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

laugh wrote:That's cool. I wish there was an English version of TGM so that I can use this language switch trick.
The Japanese romset of TGM contains English text, but there is no way to change the region or language in the service menu or using dip switches. Someone knowledgeable about the platform might be able to ROM hack the game to English for you, all the translated text is already in the ROM. Just look at it with a hex editor and you'll see what I mean.