Namco System 22 steering issue on 1 motherboard

PCB problems and fixes
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray
Namco System 22 steering issue on 1 motherboard

Post by Parris »

I have 3 x System 22 units (plus one dead spare). So at present I have Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer II and Rave Racer. My aim is to be able to swiftly switch between the 3 motherboards, which I can do without issue with Ridge Racer II and Rave Racer, but I have a weird issue with the original Ridge Racer set.

When I try to use the Ridge Racer motherboards the steering is off centre to such an extent that when the steering wheel is set at normal position (i.e. dead centre), it is registering as quite a LEFT hand pull, so the car turns immediately left. The only way I can play this title is by starting the game with the steering wheel at an angle. The annoying thing is that gives you far less RIGHT hand steering.

It doesn't happen with either of the other two motherboards, which leads me to suspect there is something wrong with the Ridge Racer motherboard. It arrived with a damaged I/O, but luckily I had a spare. Other than that all switches appear to be set correctly - any ideas?
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Namco System 22 steering issue on 1 motherboard

Post by grantspain »

i can't remember for sure but did that board have some kind of pot set up sequence,like the naomi volume settings
not sure if it was that board but i remeber one that you needed to hold the test switch down on power up to set the pot volumes
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

grantspain wrote:i can't remember for sure but did that board have some kind of pot set up sequence,like the naomi volume settings
not sure if it was that board but i remeber one that you needed to hold the test switch down on power up to set the pot volumes
The only test switch I am familiar with on the System 22 is actually located on the cabinet. If I flick this switch, of course the fact that the steering is off centre means it is constantly registering that annoying LEFT hand pull... So, again the test screen constantly cycles through the options unless I turn the steering slightly off to the RIGHT.

However, I cleared the EEPROM and gone back to original factory settings with no change.

No other test switch that I can see.
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Found the test switch - thanks to Berty <Ye of Killer Cab days in the land of Oz>

It's a sodding red button clearly marked SERVICE SW on the counter board. How could I have missed it...

You flick the TEST switch to the RIGHT, hold down the red SERVICE SW and get someone to power up the unit. It goes into ADJUSTMENTS and you'll see HANDLE 0000, GAS 0000, BRAKE 0000 (the 0000 part will shimmer as it calibrates itself).

Job done! No more LEFT hand issues.