Dead Street Fighter II

PCB problems and fixes
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Dead Street Fighter II

Post by zumbito »

Keeping on opening boxes, I have found a SFII but seems dead:

At first I thought a dead battery, but this board has no battery. Any idea what can be causing this image?
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Re: Dead Street Fighter II

Post by leonardoliveira »

Unfortunately faulty customs are very common on CPS1 board. CPS-A-01 on the A board, CPS-B-xx (Depending on the region/version of the game you have it can be a certain type of B-xx PPU chip. It's part of the game copy protection and there's several different types of CPS-B chips.)
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Where do I check those? Or how can I identify the problem? These are the boards it has:
A
B
C
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

Can you peel off the Street Fighter II sticker on the big chip and look the code underneath? It should give a hint which variation of SF2 is loaded on that rom board...
And that IC very often becomes faulty causing graphics issues.

Will be something like "CPS-B-xx" where XX is the PPU type
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

leonardoliveira wrote:Can you peel off the Street Fighter II sticker on the big chip and look the code underneath? It should give a hint which variation of SF2 is loaded on that rom board...
And that IC very often becomes faulty causing graphics issues.

Will be something like "CPS-B-xx" where XX is the PPU type

I took a closer look to the C board, if possible want to keep the sticker in place, as it is the original one and don't want to damage it taking it away. Here is the pic of the chip:

I tried to swap the B and C boards with a spare Pang 3 boards I had laying around (apparently already taken from a CPS dash :palm: ) but still had problems with it, this time the rom check appears and doesn't detect any problem, the title name and the license agreement screen, the only thing is that there are some heavy vertical green lines across the screen, and that the game can't go past these screens, it keeps rebooting:

Tries using other C boards, but with those, no boot.

Then I put everything back in place, the original SFII boards and the image was all red.

I'm out of ideas, other thing I've noticed is that this chip pins don't fit the socket which I find weird, could that have any impact?

atro
eBay: atro.pt
Initials: RB

Post by atro »

SFII World Warrior uses a B17 C-Board.

The one used from Pang 3 is mostly a B21 C-Board and does not match.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

zumbito wrote:I'm out of ideas, other thing I've noticed is that this chip pins don't fit the socket which I find weird, could that have any impact?

This is normal.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

If the B chip is bad you will have to replace it. Moot point be worried about the sticker, IMHO.

I believe if you peel it gently it won't be damaged. It's not a warranty self destruct sticker, but a sticker meant to identify the whole C board as being the board for that particular game. You can peel the sticker out and apply it to the new B chip you put on the board (pray for it to be the B-21 chip as that one is easy to source in CPS2 A boards... lol).

The PAL chip on the socket at the C board I believe may also be game specific. Did you attempt swap that one too?

If the PANG C board works correctly with the SF2 game they have the same B chip. Also considering that you may be able to now see the region and version number for your romset you can also check MAME for reference on which B chip your set uses.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

leonardoliveira wrote:If the B chip is bad you will have to replace it. Moot point be worried about the sticker, IMHO.

I believe if you peel it gently it won't be damaged. It's not a warranty self destruct sticker, but a sticker meant to identify the whole C board as being the board for that particular game. You can peel the sticker out and apply it to the new B chip you put on the board (pray for it to be the B-21 chip as that one is easy to source in CPS2 A boards... lol).

The PAL chip on the socket at the C board I believe may also be game specific. Did you attempt swap that one too?

If the PANG C board works correctly with the SF2 game they have the same B chip. Also considering that you may be able to now see the region and version number for your romset you can also check MAME for reference on which B chip your set uses.

Ok, will try that too. This week I opened a box plenty of faulty boards, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with it.
No, I didnt check the PAL chip, I don't even know what a PAL chip is :lolno: . The Pang board worked, but had those issues, obnoxious green lines and continuous rebooting.
Layer

Post by Layer »

Pal (sometimes a gal is used instead) chip is located on the top (on the left) of B-board (ROM board full of eproms). Depending of the game and model of B-board used, it fixes tiles and Gfx layer masks.