Naomi - button 6 not working?

PCB problems and fixes
Sabih
Please Continue...

Naomi - button 6 not working?

Post by Sabih »

Hey guys,

I've got a Naomi+Netdimm setup which I just got up and running. I'm having a problem with button 6 (i.e roundhouse kick in Street Fighter terms) not working. All other buttons are working fine. The strange thing is that this button works on other JAMMA games fine (tested with Pandoras Box 4).

Any leads on what I can look at?

Thanks!
pulstar

Re: Naomi - button 6 not working?

Post by pulstar »

What games are you trying? Can you check in test mode to see if it's registering? Have you tried more than one game?
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

Is the I/O purchased from Aliexpress?
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Pandora's Box isn't technically Jamma. There's your problem. Button 6 needs to be wired to an auxiliary connector.

What IO are you using and what cab is it?
Sabih
Please Continue...

Post by Sabih »

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm using a SEGA I/O (version 2 - the one with the metal box) and the cab is a SEGA New Astro city.
I tried this with Capcom VS SNK 2, and I did try it in test mode with the same result.
nem wrote:Pandora's Box isn't technically Jamma. There's your problem. Button 6 needs to be wired to an auxiliary connector.

What IO are you using and what cab is it?
I did a bit of reading on this and it appears that, like you say, my problem is that version 2 of SEGA I/O handles button 6 "through an auxiliary connector". I'm pretty weak when it comes to JAMMA electronics, so any advice on how I go about solving this would be appreciated!

Here are a few pics of the set up:

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Your pics don't work.

Check here:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS#Kick.2FExtra_buttons

I haven't seen ver 2, however, my guess is the auxiliary connector is the same.
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

If its the same Sega JVS to Jamma I/O I have 838-13683-93 your button 6 7 8 etc come from CN3. The arcade otaku wiki has the exact pin outs though. Button 4 and 5 are off the Jamma edge. The second version you speak of is basically the same board but the silk screened labels might be different just look for a connector like CN3 on the first version (which is the long white one above CN4 in the picture on the wiki)

If they are the same which it sounds like, you can test by taking a loose arcade button and just wiring it up to Pin 4 -( P1 button 6 ) and Pin (12 - GND) and then enter your I/O's button test mode to verify that that is your button. You can sacrafice an old PC's jumper wire to do this or buy this https://www.adafruit.com/product/1950 for to attach to the pins you need, then splice the wire and attach to a button. If your really desperate you could use a jumper wire to jump the to pins (so its always pressed) or wrap some stripped wire around the pin temporarily to test using a button but its kinda janky.
Otherwise a more permanent solution would be to buy the JST connector that fits that auxiliary header on the board and wire that to your kick buttons either directly or through the AMPup connector responsible for kick in your cabinet if your cabinet has that option. Again the wiki should have that info or something close enough.

Im actually planning on doing this my self soon.
1x New Astro City, 1x Madonna, 1x G-Balance
Sabih
Please Continue...

Post by Sabih »

Thanks guys. Got it sorted!
GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

YAY :D now you can play 6 button things :P