NAOMI NET DIMM + "Portable" Option

PCB problems and fixes
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

NAOMI NET DIMM + "Portable" Option

Post by NoAffinity »

I have a NAOMI+NET DIMM coming from a fellow AO'er. Got my raspberry pi w/ 16x2 LCD, and after 4 days of solid effort, it is booting with piforce tools launching automatically and the LCD screen lighting up.

Now I'm looking at mounting the equipment on a board with the goal of acheiving the following functions, in order of priority:

1) slide in and out of my aero city
2) swap into any other suitable cabinet in my collection (this should be satisfied by #1)
3) Be "portable" so I can connect the setup to my plasma vga input and RCA audio inputs, and be able to hook up one of my MC Cthulhu-based fight sticks to it

As I started testing the concept on my JAMMA test rig while waiting for the NAOMI+NET DIMM to arrive, I discovered that the NAOMI errors out if no I/O is connected to it. So, I assume there's no way around that, and an IO is mandatory?

If the IO is mandatory, then what is the minimum signals/power needed at the JAMMA connector that is connecting to it?
To that end, is it necessary to have 2 power supplies - one NAOMI power supply for the NAOMI/NET DIMM setup, and one power supply for the JAMMA harness?

If the IO is necessary, then for the fight stick connectivity, I will use an undamned USB decoder. I've got one in use on my JAMMA test rig, and it works great.

Any of you out there with a similarly purposed setup, I would love to see how you are accomplishing the goal. Any suggestions to achieve a minimalist setup would be greatly appreciated.
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Re: NAOMI NET DIMM + "Portable" Option

Post by Shadolf »

NoAffinity wrote: If the IO is mandatory, then what is the minimum signals/power needed at the JAMMA connector that is connecting to it?
To that end, is it necessary to have 2 power supplies - one NAOMI power supply for the NAOMI/NET DIMM setup, and one power supply for the JAMMA harness?
With the PSU´s, either you need a NAOMI PSU in all your cabs and use that for NAOMI AND Jamma or you have "Jamma" PSU´s in your cabs, then you will need a NAOMI PSU on your exchangeble NAOMI rig.
Jamma doesn´t have all the voltages that you need for NAOMI. It is like Jamma (5V and 12V) and JVS/NAOMI (3,3V, 5V and 12V), when I remember right.

When you have all your cabs with Jamma, you could put NAOMI PSU´s in all of them and use CAPCOM JVS2Jamma converters. But you will need the JVS I/O on your NAOMI rig too and you can´t use your rig at the TV without a NAOMI PSU at your Super Gun and it will be very expensive.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Okay, so that's all as I expected. Oh and I think I forgot to mention I got a Sun PSU. $60 shipped from Jaton (ebay). Not too bad. 8-) It required a bit of disassembly and cleaning up, but voltages are all spot on. I also already own a Capcom I/O.

So, it seemsI will have to have a JAMMA PSU and Sun PSU on the board with the NAOMI/Net DIMM/Raspi. If running in a cab, then the cab JAMMA connector would connect up to the I/O. If I'm running the setup as a Supergun, then a JAMMA connector with minimum power/signal would be connected up. Fortunately, I also have a spare JAMMA PSU. 8-) 8-)

The questions that weren't answered (I'm not being critical, just keeping focus :) ):

An I/O is required in all scenarios...no way around that?
Assuming the answer is yes, then the I/O has to be powered via the JAMMA connector ? And, I'm guessing that power via the JAMMA connector is the bare minimum to prevent NAOMI from throwing the "no I/O found" error?
If only power is required, is it possible to run controls through the MAPLE connections and not through the JAMMA?

This last part is a separate idea, to possibly eliminate the undamned decoder for controls. It seems if the MC Cthulhu sticks work on dreamcast, and dreamcast controls work on the NAOMI, then I should be able to pinout a connector for the MC Cthulhu that will work directly with CN6 and CN7 on the NAOMI. How sweet would that be?

I realize I may be in some uncharted territories here, but I figure there's enough tinkerers around here, that maybe I'm not. :D :awe:
mufunyo
eBay: mufunyo
Initials: MUF

Post by mufunyo »

No clue about the Capcom I/O, but the Sega I/O will work with only 5v-gnd connected on the JAMMA edge.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

NoAffinity wrote: The questions that weren't answered (I'm not being critical, just keeping focus :) ):

An I/O is required in all scenarios...no way around that?
Assuming the answer is yes, then the I/O has to be powered via the JAMMA connector ? And, I'm guessing that power via the JAMMA connector is the bare minimum to prevent NAOMI from throwing the "no I/O found" error?
If only power is required, is it possible to run controls through the MAPLE connections and not through the JAMMA?

This last part is a separate idea, to possibly eliminate the undamned decoder for controls. It seems if the MC Cthulhu sticks work on dreamcast, and dreamcast controls work on the NAOMI, then I should be able to pinout a connector for the MC Cthulhu that will work directly with CN6 and CN7 on the NAOMI. How sweet would that be?

I realize I may be in some uncharted territories here, but I figure there's enough tinkerers around here, that maybe I'm not. :D :awe:
I´m no expert in this right now, as I want do this myself but only have read up on the topic. No practice, but it´s all logical to me.
As I understand the CAPCOM JVS2Jamma converter already converts your input signals into a for the NAOMI readable form, so I guess you don´t need any additional JVS I/O.
That also should be the cause of the USB connectors on the converter.

The JVS I/O should be powered by the USB connector from the NAOMI, same as it should be in a NAOMI cab. I could remove the bezel and have a look if necessery...
I can´t say anything about your idea with the MAPLE connections.
EDIT: Ok, the standard SEGA JVS I/O is getting it´s power directly from the PSU (red & yellow).
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

yeah, what i've read is the USB from I/O to NAOMI carries no power. I'm guessing that the NAOMI is also expecting control inputs from the I/O, as the MAPLE connectors are really just a bonus feature. But, I doubt the NAOMI will throw an error for not having inputs connected via the JAMMA, but will if the I/O isn't powered. That seems logical to me at least. :penser:
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

NoAffinity wrote:...But, I doubt the NAOMI will throw an error for not having inputs connected via the JAMMA, but will if the I/O isn't powered. That seems logical to me at least. :penser:
:thumbup: :thumbupright:
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I just finished testing a MC Cthulhu based fight stick via the MAPLE connectors (CN6 and CN7), and it works. I put some video together, and will be back in a bit with a link and more detailed information.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

All right folks, here's the dets. In a nutshell, if you've got a MC Cthulhu based fight stick and it works with a Dreamcast, then you should be able to ignore most of this information and simply match up the cat 5/5e/6 coloring from left to right, with the connector wires left to right and be done.

Video of testing the proof of concept here:
https://youtu.be/JZdIq9qJEKA

10-pin connector (trim off the unused half of the connector):
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/con- ... %3BN%3B%7D

T-568B Cat 5/5e/6 cable (for reference):
http://dedree.com/t568b-wiring.py

GeekMan1222
Please Continue...
eBay: geekman2005

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Now this is pretty cool! Good info here :awe: