Namco 256 Tekken 4 help

PCB problems and fixes
myklindle
Please Continue...
eBay: Mikelovessusie
Initials: Msl

Namco 256 Tekken 4 help

Post by myklindle »

Hey guys, I just picked up a Namco 256 set up and I'm real new to the hardware. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction

Its a namco 256 main board, and a namco I/o hooked up to my jaleco Pony MK II 22. T5.1 works great and boots no problem, so I'm pretty sure my mainboard, power situation, and dvd drive are all in check.

Now I know I need to adjust the jumper on the mainboard of the 256 to the 246+ setting which I have done. When I insert the dongle and disc the system will start to load and boot the "Tekken4 will begin momentarily. " screen with the the flashing period, and the system hangs. Now I'm used to Naomi stuff and some times when switching from gd rom games to carts the system can take a few minutes to boot the main screen, so I let the cab run an hour, and it never boots. I can go into the test screen and get all of the options for t4 and adjust them, but when you leave it Just sits there telling me it will boot momentarily... Mocking me with its flashing period.

Like I mentioned it seems like my hardware should be good given t5 works fine. I've heard of 256/246 compatibility issues but never with t4. Could this be a corrupted dongle? The disc seems in good shape, way better shape than the T5.1 that runs fine. If I get to this screen does this rule out a dongle issue as the game boots off the algorithm on the card? Could I even get to this point with a bad security dongle.

The only thing I can think to do is take my t4 copy to be cleaned with an azuradisc machine. What else could cause this issue?

I'm new to this hardware and desperate for one of you to share your expertise

Thanks
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Namco 256 Tekken 4 help

Post by nem »

Unfortunately you need a specific DVD drive for Tekken 4. It will not boot without one.
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

Also, T4 requires a 246. Won't run on a 256 I'm afraid.

Here's a list of 246/256-games (with lots of data and compatible systems): https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... l=en#gid=1
myklindle
Please Continue...

Post by myklindle »

Thanks for the info, I I guess I need to invest in in a 246 mainboard

I did have another question I was hoping to get some help with, I read that the "N" jumper on the 256 is supposed to be for the PlayStation 2 controller ports. I'm not arealy sure which port this is on the mainboard. I've seen the pin out on the wiki, but does anyone know where I could get the edge connector for it, like on mouser or elsewhere?

Also where on the 256 would the card reader assembly's hook up? Anybody made any hacks or work around a for those? Like a way to get the custom outfit options it allows in t5?
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Post by Stompp »

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure that connecting PS controllers may fry something in your 256. I've read it somewhere here recently :shifty:

The card reader manual is on the wiki and here's a clip of how to connect not just the card reader but the 256 in general.
myklindle
Please Continue...

Post by myklindle »

Yeah man I know these used to have controller port adapters on some of the cabs, I know our local can did... And I gotta get a pad working for my pad players
myklindle
Please Continue...

Post by myklindle »

I got a tip that the port I'm looking for is the 16 pin port to the right of the memory card slot, and I know the pin out... What I really need to know, is which jst header I need to buy.