Anyone good with namco 246?

PCB problems and fixes
Hrvat9
eBay: hrvaat

Anyone good with namco 246?

Post by Hrvat9 »

I just got a namco system 246 (version c) with a mobile suit Gundam z game. It turns on and loads up but freezes in about 2-3 minutes after loading the game. I opened the case up and found one of the Sony chips extremely hot. It's the one near the fan with the stamp on it. I'm using the namco io also.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

candy: Sega New Astro City x2, Sega Versus City (sold)
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Anyone good with namco 246?

Post by grantspain »

freezing on 246/256 has always been related to +5 or rom drive from my experience
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

The IOP is not supposed to get hot. Perhaps someone shove a JVS cable on the PS2 USB ports? (JVS is RS485, which uses high voltages for signalling. USB1.1 uses 5V or 3.3v for signalling)

Connecting a real USB port to a JVS port will cause damage to the USB side. That's why some 246s have a screw blocking the USB ports, btw.

The IOP chip is the USB host on the PS2 console.
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

grantspain wrote:freezing on 246/256 has always been related to +5 or rom drive from my experience

I checked the +5 and I have it at +5.1. Funny thing is it was in a sega model 3 cab, one of those huge ones and it would never start when I bought it even though the guy said it worked fine. I played with the cd drive and noticed when I turn it on the cd drive would work after a minute or so, assuming it took that long to load anyways. But if I unplugged the ide ribbon cable the cd drive would start up right away. So I'm looking for that ide cable to see if it'll make a difference. After it freezes , it would take a couple of hours to cool down before it would boot the game again only to freeze again.
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

these systems do not activate the rom drive until it needs to with certain brand drives, you should ignore this issue whilst fault finding
where did you read the +5, if not at the system 246 power input then you are wasting your time as there will be a certain amount of voltage drop across the cables

if you believe it is the ic overheating then use freezer spray on it
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

grantspain wrote:these systems do not activate the rom drive until it needs to with certain brand drives, you should ignore this issue whilst fault finding
where did you read the +5, if not at the system 246 power input then you are wasting your time as there will be a certain amount of voltage drop across the cables

if you believe it is the ic overheating then use freezer spray on it
Ok I powered it up again and I went into test mode because the picture is upside down. I can't figure out how to flip it back?? But I noticed I can stay in test mode all day and it doesn't freeze up.

Edit: I lied. It just froze. I also found this
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=24919

Exact same thing I'm going through, no beeps no nothing just black screen until the drive kicks in and says now loading (obviously loading the game), then it goes into the game and freezes after a few minutes
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
Hellfromabove
Please Continue...

Post by Hellfromabove »

Where's defor at? This question is right up his alley.
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

Plot twist; turned the namco on again to try and figure out how to flip the screen, but I didn't set the dip switch and it went into the game. I said screw it let's play it upside down till it freezes , but t never froze. Went to take a shower, 45 mins later still playing. :/ now I'm out and I left it on so I'll edit this with either it's still going or it froze lol. Someone tell me how to flip the screen!
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

If it's not freezing anymore it's not a fault in itself but possibly you had a problem with the power supply (not enough juice).

About the screen being inverted, there's a flip screen option on the game settings menu. To reach the menu push the test button (short JAMMA pin 15, upper side to any GND point) while the game is running (anywhere).
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

leonardoliveira wrote:If it's not freezing anymore it's not a fault in itself but possibly you had a problem with the power supply (not enough juice).

About the screen being inverted, there's a flip screen option on the game settings menu. To reach the menu push the test button (short JAMMA pin 15, upper side to any GND point) while the game is running (anywhere).
Weird because I didn't touch the power supply....I'm going to fire it up now and see what happens
Either I'm blind or it's invisible because I looked through the settings at least 5 times :/
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

No where in the test setting is there a flip screen choice :(. Tried pressing the test button while in game and flipping the dip switch on the namco before powerup. My monitor is not upside down lol that plastic part on the monitor that looks like it catches liquids or junk is at the bottom, all my other games play fine. And it just froze after a couple of minutes again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

you can flip the picture using the deflection coil connectors
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

grantspain wrote:you can flip the picture using the deflection coil connectors
Ah then I have to switch it back to play other games -_- kind of a pita
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

other 246 games are around the correct way?
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

grantspain wrote:other 246 games are around the correct way?
I only have this one to test unfortunately but other horizontal games play properly. WOW. As I was typing this I turned on my xmen vs street fighter and not its upside down also:/:/:/.
I went into the test menu and the option Montior : normal is there but when I flip it the screen goes black??? Until I set it back to normal. I have a post here already for trouble shooting the cps2 as some graphics were missing but it was playing the right way then . Wtf is going on

Edit : nvm on the cps2 playing the right way, I had the screen still vertical, but still wtf is going on

EDIT2: everything is screwing with me today, work , the weather now the cps2 :@ went back into the settings and now it flipped and works ...jesus
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

did you test both +5 and +12 at the jamma interface
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

It's haunted, sir. :wtf:
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

Is it possible that one of the previous owners flipped the plugs on the monitor chassis? everygame i plug in is actually upside down(cps2, cps1) i didnt notice on the cps1 but the invert screen dip was switched so it came out upright.
Can anyome guide me in flipping back these said plugs ? Thank you in advance! :awe:
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

There's two pairs of leads coming from the yoke. One pair is for horizontal, the other for vertical deflection (the one you want). Flip one pair 180 degrees. There's no harm done if you flip the wrong one, the picture will just be mirrored. Unflip the wrong one and then flip the right one.

EDIT: I just pulled a Nanao chassis from storage. Red / blue for horizontal, yellow / brown for vertical.

However, do NOT mix the connectors. Flip one at a time and you're good.
Hrvat9

Post by Hrvat9 »

Done and done, Thank you sir!
nem wrote:There's two pairs of leads coming from the yoke. One pair is for horizontal, the other for vertical deflection (the one you want). Flip one pair 180 degrees. There's no harm done if you flip the wrong one, the picture will just be mirrored. Unflip the wrong one and then flip the right one.

EDIT: I just pulled a Nanao chassis from storage. Red / blue for horizontal, yellow / brown for vertical.

However, do NOT mix the connectors. Flip one at a time and you're good.
Seeeegggggaaaaaa